OpenPandora is NOT dead!

believe in this Project and Yesterday Evening got i F1Remake work on the Pandora. Ported with Glshim and Slackware. It run slow,but run with Sound.
(sorry for the offtopic, but I too have a working F1-Spirit remake on the work. I have heavily optimize my build, and get 30~50fps on my gigahertz, if you don't mind, I'll release my build soon)
Were you able to work around the texture corruption on the track?

I discussed that with lunixbochs some time ago.
No, I think it's the engine itself that do that. The corruption is only on "curves" part of the Road, It's not very distracting in fact.

If Pandora production is indeed coming to an end then what are we to do if we need to send our unit away for RMA for whatever reason? Some parts are becoming unavailable so if these parts fail would a person be left with a non functional unit?

If Pandora production is indeed coming to an end then what are we to do if we need to send our unit away for RMA for whatever reason? Some parts are becoming unavailable so if these parts fail would a person be left with a non functional unit?
No worries, after-sales service does not end.

And most parts that can fail ARE available for repair, except for some things like the Wifi-Module (but I've never seen that break).

I was thinking repairs too, perhaps I should buy a replacement case for potential future use

When will the Pandora REALLY be dead?

We've only got a limited amount of parts, and some are already end of life so we can't buy anymore.

The production of the final Pandora batch has been started. There will be 500 more 1GHz and 150 more Rebirth units.

Well... and that's that. There will be a few more classics, but after that, production will most probably stop (unless we get a huge demand so it makes sense to change the PCB design to replace a few end-of-life parts...)
So your only able to build another 650 and that's it?

That's a real shame. It's great machine and would of been nice to see it in more hands.

The king is deadlong live the king!

More seriously.. The Pandora was an amazing adventure that has bought us all to this place. It's time to throw away the baggage of the past and move forward together.

EvilDragon has the opportunity to build something beautiful based on experience, loyalty and honesty. I see a bright future for EvilDragon and all of the fans of the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is sad that the hardware is already at the End Of Life... There is still soo many things to explore and create on the Software side of the OpenPandora!
A p2 could still be two years away at least though.
I agree^

Let's not start tossing dirt on the Pandy yet, she's still got a lot of life to go. A P2 replacement can be years away, if at all(although it looks more likely than not).

I'll celebrate and look forward to the P2 once the remaining 650 units have left the nest. We should all have many more great games, apps, and emu's from the P1 for awhile more, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet ;)

Chris

That's a real shame. It's great machine and would of been nice to see it in more hands.
Well, except for if the demand is high enough to build another 1000. Or Wifi-less Pandoras, as that chip is not available anymore.

One of my plans is to keep the successor as compatible as possible though, so that all the nice software we've got on the Pandora will work right away.

The Pandora is far from being dead, no worries!

Strange side effect of this post... I now want to upgrade to a 1ghz pandora seeing how they soon might not be available except for a high premium... ED you tricky marketing devil  

anywho... so that must mean the monstrous stockpile of the 3530's have all been used? How many DM3730's did/do you have left?

BTW: Any idea where he is?

Was hoping for WINE and quemu but there was never a PND.
He is just damn busy I guess. Nobody would stop a project like this one that close of the goal :)
Seems so.

I was thinking repairs too, perhaps I should buy a replacement case for potential future use
Case is a minor problem.

There are still more black cases available than we can use.

I don't think we'll run out of silver cases.

Strange side effect of this post... I now want to upgrade to a 1ghz pandora seeing how they soon might not be available except for a high premium... ED you tricky marketing devil   anywho... so that must mean the monstrous stockpile of the 3530's have all been used? How many DM3730's did/do you have left?
The Wifi module is the limitation, not the SOC AFAIK.

Totally Agree :-D

I am following the project (mainly as reader) since a long while [*owns a upgraded black 1GHz model*] and it is truely amazing that this thing exists. I am curious.. how many pandoras are out there now, at all?

Really looking forward to see a P2 some time.

[added] Oh and when the WiFi-chip is the limiting component (not the TFT as I always thought): What speaks against a Pandora with USB-dongle WiFi instead, when the reliability of the chip wasn't the very best ever anyway ;-) ?

Strange side effect of this post... I now want to upgrade to a 1ghz pandora seeing how they soon might not be available except for a high premium... ED you tricky marketing devil   anywho... so that must mean the monstrous stockpile of the 3530's have all been used? How many DM3730's did/do you have left?
The Wifi module is the limitation, not the SOC AFAIK.
How many 3530 pandoras have been made to date? I thought I remember reading they purchased 10k, account for RMAs and defects, I'd image they're pretty close to that number by now.

the 3730s might be a different story. I don't think they said how many of those were ordered but the price difference for a drop in part implies either the 1ghz are sold at a large premium, or that they were purchased in a much less quantity.

The SoC is no issue to get, the LCDs COULD be an issue. They reached the end of life years ago, but there are thousands still available, however, the touchscreens are all different...

SoCs can be gotten for another few years, so the main problem is the WiFi module.

Well, and producing more cases (4000 MOQ) and LCD Cables (2000 MOQ)

Back