Opentyrian Gp32 V1.0

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Another new release for the GP32 this time OpenTyrian for the GP32.

What's OpenTyrian? It's a port of the classic DOS shooter Tyrian. If you like vertically scrolling shooters, than this is for you!

Why support the GP32? Why not? It's fun to develop for the GP32 and it's still a great machine. Probably my favourite handheld still.

shot12_0000.png

Details and download links at OpenTyrian for GP32.

Wow, this is one I didn't expect to see ;) I never had a GP32 but wow..

Very nice release, performance is great even with Pentium details :)

The Blu+ version does not work properly for me though, it freezes at various points before ever getting to the actual game. The speed is the default 133MHz with good batts, and I redownloaded the zip just in case I've got a corrupted copy. Sometimes it freezes at the black boot screen after it detects the joypad, or after it inits sound. Other times it gets to the title screen, but blocks as the large "Tyrian" banner scrolls up, or the joypad up/down does not work, only A.

Great release

I love having my GP32 NLU when on a sunny holiday as the screen comes into its own. I'll certainly be adding this to my collection.

I've always loved the challenge of trying to produce efficient code for the GP32.

Thanks

Dave

Alex. said:
Very nice release, performance is great even with Pentium details :)

The Blu+ version does not work properly for me though, it freezes at various points before ever getting to the actual game. The speed is the default 133MHz with good batts, and I redownloaded the zip just in case I've got a corrupted copy. Sometimes it freezes at the black boot screen after it detects the joypad, or after it inits sound. Other times it gets to the title screen, but blocks as the large "Tyrian" banner scrolls up, or the joypad up/down does not work, only A.

Damn! Found the problem. It's fixed now. I've uploaded an updated version v1.01 - the only change is that the BLU+ version is fixed. Thanks for the find!
Grab it once the file archive has updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy that there at least a few GP32 users still out there!

I've always felt that the cycle from one machine to the next is getting shorter and shorter - there's often still plenty of life left in the previous generation.

I've still got some more releases for the GP32 - including a brand new emulator that fills a gap in the current GP32 line-up of emulated platforms. :)

There must be a few of us - my GP32 gets more use than the GP2X!

I haven't had a chance to try OpenTyrian yet - hopefully tonight...

Looking forwards to your next release - give us a clue about the missing emulator?

This is awesome slaanesh; thanks for bringing one of my favorite games to my favorite handheld :)

This will no doubt hold me over for some time though, but looking forward to your upcoming releases too!

I was giving this a go at the weekend and it's great. Many thanks Slaanesh. B)

Now if only my reactions were as good as they used to be 20 years ago ;)

jmetal88 said:
Question: Are there any plans to make 'Quit' reset the GP32? I just get a black screen when I select it.
It should quit, but because it's not using the GPSDK, writing to SMC is slow. So just wait a bit and it should come back and reset...

Just as a matter of interest, that's why it takes to long to "load" a level before you play. It's not actually the loading - that's quick - it's creating a save writing to the SMC - and it's slow.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back