Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobriand said:
VGA out would be cool, but I suspect it might also be rather complicated. I suppose we'll see in due course :).
I'd hope it can output VGA because that'd make it more likely it will also support RGB (which is basically just a VGA signal with composite sync instead of separate h/v syncs).

Amon_Re said:
cappuchok said:
Craig told us why: they would have gone for 640x480 screens but weren't allowed to buy them because the big companies impose limits on their suppliers not to sell parts to manufacturers of "unknown devices". As an 800x480 screen will support 640x480 output without abnormal scaling, I'm happy with it.
WTF? I have to admit i find this rather odd and unusual and unbelieveable.

Okay, i've been away for awhile, so can someone point me to some concrete info?

Linky to info from Craigix.

Last edited by a moderator:
lubidog said:
@DaveC, you can switch the PSP off completely. So what's the problem? The PSP does this perfectly. Let's do the same thing!

I want a pink one to come out a few months after the standard silver one. I think this would appeal to da chicks!
No you can't. That is why the clock still runs etc :rolleyes: And it still drains the battery in 2 weeks when "off". That is opposed to "sleep" mode that drains it in a week. It is a crap design. The DS does it alot better.

cappuchok said:
I'd hope it can output VGA because that'd make it more likely it will also support RGB (which is basically just a VGA signal with composite sync instead of separate h/v syncs).
VGA has twice the horizontal frequency of TV-standard RGB (31KHz against 15KHz, the difference is not trivial). If it were just the problem of the combined syncs to pipe RGB for a TV into a VGA monitor, you could just use a single sync splitter IC which costs a pound or two at the most. While some VGA monitors can accept 15KHz signals, most can't and your TV certainly can't accept 31KHz.

Hi,

(I don't own a gp2x, have no clue about chips, code or design, I don't use portable gaming devices and and I am not into emulators or old games)

I am however, a would-be GP?X user and would like to point out another customer target group, if you really built what I understand you are planning:

- touchscreen
- dual-video (i.e. internal video on device shows different image that video output to TV)
- portable - i.e. not cradle-dependent

I am looking for a device like that for many years to do my multimedia presentations - and nobody builds it.

The new target group would be all those corporate people who are sick of Powerpoint presentations - that should everyone soon, hopefully!

Just an idea.

However, those specs should also include:

- unlimited/much-bigger SD-cards, 4GB is not enough
- Audio/Video-Out sockets in the right place (I don't know where that would be)
- possibly: IR?
- design with corporate user in mind (i.e. not a gaming machine)

Good luck with your project.
zuma

zuma said:
- touchscreen
- dual-video (i.e. internal video on device shows different image that video output to TV)
- portable - i.e. not cradle-dependent

I am looking for a device like that for many years to do my multimedia presentations - and nobody builds it.

The new target group would be all those corporate people who are sick of Powerpoint presentations - that should everyone soon, hopefully!
Good luck with your project.
zuma

Hello Zuma.

Out there an sdio card exists for presentations. It uses a typical monitor pc vga cable.
You can use that sdio card for palms and pocket pc's.(I don't remember exactly).
Using google I've found "Presenter-to-Go" and "Impatica Showmate".

Palm powerpoint software exists. And sure for pocketpc.

I hope this helps you.

I'm going to say right now, that if it doesn't have a D-Pad or similar, I'm not buying it. I have nothing against analog sticks when it comes to console controllers, but for the love of all that is holy, NOT ON A HANDHELD. I can't say much on the GP2X one as I didn't exactly spend hours on it, but I did use the GP32 one enough to know, it felt kinda natural after a while. Still, I'd prefer a traditional D-pad over any kind of analog style control stick...thingy XD

Did anyone use a Tapwave Zodiac at all? A pefect example as to why analog can be a handheld killer is right there. It was so bad, that it rendered playing 90% of the available software almost impossible, with emulation being forerunner to just plain pissing me off trying to play Nintendo games on a stick that didn't want to recognize that when I pushed it just a hair off from EXACTLY the left, it would take it as I wanted to go UP.

I liked the thing, but that analog RUINED the Zodiac for me, and when it comes to playing games on the go, analog is a no-go. Even on the damn PSP it's not that great, and despite some nice designwork for it, it also suffers greatly in this department. Maybe not half as much as the Zodiac, but more then enough to cause my enjoyment to hit a point where, I'm always thinking in the back of my head "I wish I had a D-Pad!". A worthy handheld in any sense, should not leave thoughts like this in the back of your head at all times when you use it.

Though on the notion of touchscreen and D-Pad, I say yes. Just make sure it's got a nice stylus, not a plastic piece of crap that scratches up the screen in no time flat(I'm looking at you Nintendo DS). This is one area where the Zodiac excelled imo, the stylus was slick and well made.

Just thought about this, well I've never did use a pull-down screen as shown in many fan designs of the future console, but I just thought, wouldn't it be more comfortable if the keyboard was ABOVE the screen rather than under? Just a suggestion for someone without a clue ;)

Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
VGA has twice the horizontal frequency of TV-standard RGB (31KHz against 15KHz, the difference is not trivial). If it were just the problem of the combined syncs to pipe RGB for a TV into a VGA monitor, you could just use a single sync splitter IC which costs a pound or two at the most. While some VGA monitors can accept 15KHz signals, most can't and your TV certainly can't accept 31KHz.

Physically it should just be a matter of composite sync, and ATI cards do this even without extra hardware. The rest should be software-controllable. Nvidia cards need the IC to combine the sync signals but other than that a proper modeline should be sufficient (there are people building MAME cabs and HTPC setups with ATI cards and RGB TV sets using only a properly wired cable (no IC's) and suitable modelines).

Then again, I could be wrong.

Out there an sdio card exists for presentations. It uses a typical monitor pc vga cable.
You can use that sdio card for palms and pocket pc's.(I don't remember exactly).
Using google I've found "Presenter-to-Go" and "Impatica Showmate".

Palm powerpoint software exists. And sure for pocketpc.

I hope this helps you.

Dear Xmoon,

Thank you for reminding me that I forgot to mention one of the most important requirements:

- S-Video, not VGA

Ok ok I admit that may ruins my argument for a wide corporate customer base - but I need it. For my particular kind of presentations and I believe many people who work in media (films etc) would need it to show off their work.

That could be done with some touchscreen notebooks (Flybook for example) but those cost 10 times as much l and are totally over-powered on one the side (Vista-based). But totally underpowered with regards to dual-video. And one would have to design some kind of interface to select the next video while playing another.

But by all means, if anyone of you knows a device that can do that - I am very much up to suggestions.

A_SN said:
Just thought about this, well I've never did use a pull-down screen as shown in many fan designs of the future console, but I just thought, wouldn't it be more comfortable if the keyboard was ABOVE the screen rather than under? Just a suggestion for someone without a clue ;)

and how do you read your screen when the keyboard is ontop and you are writing something? your palms would be in the way.
maybe there is a reason why every device with a keyboard attached has the screen above :)

Hi everybody,

here is a concept art of the new machine, that i have called "eDragon"
220807011536_eDragon_v3eng.png

I have draw this with MSPaint and AdobePhotoDeluxe2, so it looks not very realistic :blink: ;)

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand :D

Javacat said:
That's a great design HE1N2!!!! It seems quite retro to me B)
My thoughts exactly. Possibly a little too retro in style for me, actually - it somehow makes me think of those Chinese knock-off consoles rather than the cool-and-curvy designs most of the big name ones are.

Nonetheless, easily the most complete design so far, and whilst I'm not a fan of the red (which I think is what makes it look odd to me), it's still very very cool :D

Really like the layout! B)

That reminds me, new wishlist item:

A nice, easy to use power switch like the one on my Gameboy Micro, and definitely *not* like the one on the GP2X!

HE1N2 said:
here is a concept art of the new machine, that i have called "eDragon"
That is a very nice and complete design (although I agree with Tobriand on the red color being "too much").

But... Composite video? *aagh* My eyes hurt just thinking about it... Also three RCA connectors would take way too much space in comparison to one custom connector with suitable adapter cables, which would also allow better / more complete support for various video signal standards (S-video at the very worst, which is easily downconvertable to composite, but I'm still hoping for RGB and/or VGA).

fusion_power said:
Creature XL said:
cappuchok said:
KeyboardCowboy said:
Only 160px of horizontal screen real estate would be lost, which is certainly forgivable.

If the GUI of emulators are designed with this device in mind, the additional 160px could be well used for giving quick access to certain functions of the emulator (savestates and the like), or just a nice bezel-type graphic.
I like this idea really. Keeping in mind we are having a touchscreen, it is possible with one quick touch on the screen to make/ load savestates or change some aspects of the emulation (SNES: translucency on/off, ...). I would go a little bit further to think about any possible standards for this. So, that in all emus (at least for the classic consoles/ computers which use 4:3 ratio) the save/load savestate "button" is the same.

Problem would be, the left and right screen areas are close to the D-Pad and the action buttons, so you have to make sure, that you dount touch the screen if you just controlling the game in wild action. ;)

I dont know if anyone resolved this yet since i forgot about most of this thread but if you make a slider like the unlock screen for the iphone as confirmation for saving state or something that could work. Or there could be a lock button in harder to reach area of the screen so that pressing it accidentally wouldnt be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back