pandian - MARK2

stackshadow

Hello and good morning out there :D ,

the new pandian version MARK2 is ready :D

How to install and use read: http://pandorawiki.org/Pandian

This version was a little bit delayed. This caused by an massive amount of work on the debian-packages to get an clean way of updates, also i was very busy to get an signed debian-repository and a way to get this to an ftp-server. But neverless, everything is fine now :)

Also some weeks i spend on the problem of debian packages which are in debian-stable branch but not on debian sid

This Version is completely different from the 01. This is caused by the different version of debian. 01 is based on the stable branch of debia. MARK2 is based on sid, the unstable branch of debian.

Special Thanks To:

The open-pandora Team to bring us this great device

binky for the pandian-logo, KickAss for offering a transparent version of it

vandyswa for cool tweaks and fixes :D

comradekingu to give me some hints about hotkeys

Linux-SWAT for the great work on SlackOS where i find some answers

mcobit for the hint to ask ED for server-space (jep, sometimes we dont see the forest for the trees ) and 

of course ED to provide some server-space ;)

and behalf, the whole open-pandora-community to keep this device alive

Packages:

Pandian has an additional debian repository for some specials :)

Until now, there is no way on how you can provide packages to this repository ( only by me ._. ) but stay tuned, iam working on a solution ( or if you have an idea, just PM me )

But never than less, you can prepare packages if you are familiar with that. If not, it is also helpful if you try to compile the piece of your favorite software on the pandora itselfe and post the results :)

Update:

After you download and install the image to an SD-Card, boot your pandora up and update via apt ( read the wiki ).

I've mentioned, that you need to be inside an graphical environment when you upgrade the system. This is caused by the packages which using zenity for asking the user ( see Bug report )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much.  :D

Does this mean we have a pandora deb repo to upload packages to? Really would be awesome to have wb's Pandora Image viewer available in pandian.

Have tried to make the wiki instructions a bit easier.

Edit: 4GB confirmed to work for minimal. 2GB sd card confirmed to work for minimal image too.  Took ages and averaged out at 4.2MB/s  and 2,8 MB/s writespeed :)   Wizard is one z. "we are finish with our setup" could be "Setup finished"

I can translate it into Norwegian if you want.  Not including the latin locales would mean a lot less clicking down. Going back would be a nice feature.

Its in usr/sbin/pdSetup if anyone needs to run it again. ;)

Calibrator application is missing i got at the end of minimal setup. They keymapping is a bit strange, havent found the | yet.

Got the interface on with

/usr/sbin/pdcmd WLANTrigger

ifconfig wlan0 up

But i dont know how to connect without iwlist and iwconfig and wpa_supplicant

It does if you can figure how to get networking up. I cant figure out how to configure something in /etc/network/interfaces.d/* and call it with ifup. Guess i have to download the normal image.

Edit: turns out there is no dhclient package, so it cant get an ip from the dhcp server. Ive managed to set up static ip, something is wrong somewhere ;)

Why is the reiserfs module loaded?

Good morning,

well yes, better way to install something on the minimal image: use usb-networking. But i will write an how to for /etc/network/interface according to wifi.

I think i change the minimal image a little bit and provide ceni ( an console based network-manager ) on it. For those who download already the minimal version i pack a smal fix for that which can easy be place on the SD-Card

Yes, that means that we can provide pandora specific debian packages :) Therefore i need to find an easy way on how the community can upload packages.

And yes, that means you can use apt-get to install packages.

How many packages aviable? Well its directly provided by the debian project so maaaaaaannnnyyyyy

output of apt-cache stats:

Total package structures: 55349 (2657 k)
  Normal packages: 41349
  Pure virtual packages: 1857
  Single virtual packages: 4554
  Mixed virtual packages: 1189
  Missing: 6400

This is great!

You could also provide lunixbochs libGL/libGLU as an alternative to mesa. Will be faster with a lot of stuff although it still has some bugs.

You have to set the variable LIBGL_FB=1 though if this is installed.

It does if you can figure how to get networking up. I cant figure out how to configure something in /etc/network/interfaces.d/* and call it with ifup. Guess i have to download the normal image.

Edit: turns out there is no dhclient package, so it cant get an ip from the dhcp server. Ive managed to set up static ip, something is wrong somewhere ;)

Why is the reiserfs module loaded?
Oh damn, ive add this to the patch ( dhcp-client package )

reiserfs is loaded? Hmm..yes it seems to be in both versions, but its nowhere in the modprobe configuration files, strange ~.~

This is great!

You could also provide lunixbochs libGL/libGLU as an alternative to mesa. Will be faster with a lot of stuff although it still has some bugs.

You have to set the variable LIBGL_FB=1 though if this is installed.
Jep, i have my debian-based build system working, so i can do some compiling and Package-building :)

Some words about packages:

If you know debian very well, you can build some packages and please sign it with pgp if you familiar with that. On the next days i try to find a way on how providing this packages.

Okay, finished i have an network fix for the minimal version and upload it now :)

After that i will update the minimal version to this fix.

fyi: the logo design wasnt my work. all i did was offering a transparent version of it :) it was binky's work, iirc.

fyi: the logo design wasnt my work. all i did was offering a transparent version of it :) it was binky's work, iirc.
Oh, youre right :)

So for those who downloading the minimal-version and need wifi-network. A fix is available, see wiki for more information :)

really looking forward to give mark2 a go over the weekend.

also you did a great job on the wiki :D

Nice to see another distro on Pandora.  But does this run as fast as the SZ?
The main focus was not on speed, i just like debian :)

But i mentioned a performance impact from debian softfp to hardfp so i choose armhf.

Also that debian provide some precompiled armhf packages was a point to get easy started. I think about to recompile some parts of the debian-system to optimize it for the pandora, but for now this has low priority. 

btw what is SZ?

btw: The minimal-image now features the mentioned dhcp and wifi-stuff. After pandian starts, use "ceni" to setup you network

SZ is super saxxon.

Moved minimal-hf2014-01-02 and the network fix to old releases at the bottom of the page on the wiki.

Also, why isnt the minimal package called pandian-base  and why do the scripts have highercase letters?

SZ is super saxxon.

Moved minimal-hf2014-01-02 and the network fix to old releases at the bottom of the page on the wiki.

Also, why isnt the minimal package called pandian-base  and why do the scripts have highercase letters?

This comes from the history of pandian. At first, pandian comes with lxde. So pandian-base was first with an DE and so on.

The minimal version was just to provide an version without any DE and graphical features but i'am agree with you. pandian-base is better than pandian-minimal

The higher-case-letters comes from an programmer-thing ^^° its easier to read ThisIsAnExample than thisisanexample . Is it bothering you on some Situations ? ( i'am capable of learning ;) )

pandian-packages 0.3-1 released

the new packages add some features:

* Add .desktop files for wlan,usb-host and low-power -trigger, so you can easily enable/disable wifi, usb-host and low-power-mode

* Add new panel in LXDE for triggers

* Install the new panel to all users if you confirm that during installation

* Add pdcmd to sudoers

* Set priority of debian packages to standard

To install these packages see here

I am trying to install pandian, following the instructions on the wiki.  It's not working! :(

Specifically, I can download the .7z file for the normal version, the checksums agree and I can extract the image.  I can then use dd to copy the image to a new 16GB SDHC class 10 card.  However, when I have a look at the card, the file systems appear corrupted.  gparted complains about both the fat32 and the ext4 partitions.  E.g. for the latter, it says:

e2label: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

tune2fs [...] No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2

[...] (more of the same with dumpe2fs)

I am doing the install on an Ubuntu system and all requisite packages are available (e.g. e2fsprogs 1.42.x).

Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be welcome.

In the meantime, I know I have an old 8GB card lying around somewhere so I will try to find it and try again.

Thanks.

Quick update: using the minimal image instead seems to work, at least in terms of preparing the disk.  I've not booted it in the Pandora yet as I have to  head off but will do so later today.  There's obviously something different between the minimal and normal images on the wiki page.

Thanks again.

Back