Pandora 2 should have dual screens

Given that the LCD is one of the:

1) most expensive parts

2) most power hungry parts

3) heaviest parts

I just can't see a second screen being practical. at all.

- Neelix

Guys, best option is make a thin as possible screen + controls on either side accessory to clip on top of the keyboard. Perhaps it can be bluetooth and usable unclipped. But the P2 will have to remain open while it's attached. Then, this accessory can be funded via kickstarter and not mess with the design or production of the P2.

Edit: Then, if it doesn't get funded... :D
Edit edit: perhaps the accessory should be called ICP3! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of a second screen, but the screen is probably the most expensive part. If there was a second screen:

• It would be best if it was detachable and sold separately to cut the cost of the p2.
  • Uses the clam shell design for the screen and keyboard. When the second screen is added, it folds backwards so that when it is folded up, the second screen is reviled and hides the keyboard and second screen.

Regarding the previous post and the mentioned screen-socket:

You could easily replace the normal screen with a clamshell formed dual screen (where the screens face each other when closed/detached),

where the bottom screen goes over the keyboard when folded down.The dpad and the normal buttons on the right would still be accessable this way.

Having the option to easily replace/upgrade/change/rotate the screen via socket would be a blast on a handheld device,

I am beginning to believe regarding the fact, that it woulkd solve so many problems aroused by the communitys ideas

and you could sell more accessories, which would get ED some money.

Just get rid of the screens and physical controls.

Integrate a nano projector and a kinect-like device into your console!

Any surface could be your screen and no problem integrating gaming controls and keyboard \o/

How about if you could disconnect and reconnect the display in either rotation?

Put two ports on it, one on bottom and one on side.

Does any suitable port exist for this?

How to make sure you can't accidentally knock the display loose?

Perhaps then you could sell bigger displays that you could just plop on when you want.

Silly idea maybe, but it would be a possibility.

Maybe the ultradisplay could turn into a Pandorapad when disconnected. >_>

I like the idea of a second screen, but the screen is probably the most expensive part. If there was a second screen:

• It would be best if it was detachable and sold separately to cut the cost of the p2.
I think this detachable idea would be a good one since it:

1. Would serve both types of customers: ones which only like one screen and ones who like dual screen.
  2. Would be easy to implement because the second screen will plug into the first screen something like this: http://i.imgur.com/NHrtgl9.jpg
  3. Since the second screen does not have speakers, its overall case can be thinner and smaller.
  4. The new P2 graphic chip and the OS would allow users to either use one screen or both at the same time.
  5. Of course the hinge would need to be redesigned to hold both screens in whatever position.  The hinge for P2 would need to be redesigned anyway IMHO, because there are lots of complains out there now that P1 hinge does not work properly.
  6. Pandora Team can have some extra money selling these second screens.
  7. Yes, it may use primarily for DS emulation, but there's a large audience interest in DS emulation.
  8. Last but not least, it could be used for whatever else developers can come up with.  I'll tell you if there's a good program or a good game that makes use of dual screen effectively, the second screen would be sold like hot cakes.

How about if you could disconnect and reconnect the display in either rotation?

Put two ports on it, one on bottom and one on side.

Does any suitable port exist for this?

How to make sure you can't accidentally knock the display loose?

Perhaps then you could sell bigger displays that you could just plop on when you want.

Silly idea maybe, but it would be a possibility.

Maybe the ultradisplay could turn into a Pandorapad when disconnected. >_>
Read again:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13848-pandora-2-should-have-dual-screens/page-2#entry261431

How about producing a device very much like a pandora but:

• USB host port, SD slots, keyboard (different keymat available), game controls etc are all USB slave devices (Via the miniUSB port)
  • Screen takes analogue video in over the ext port, using a ext-to-ext cable
  • audio stuff (headphone socket + volume wheel) also takes input from ext port
  • battery is optional, and provides extra power for the USB slave stuff, the screen and an audio amp

This has the advantages:

• Most of the parts are already in production
  • The PCB would be quite simple
  • Twice as many buttons, screen space, battery life
  • Suitable for two-player gaming with the right cable
Disadvantages:

• Still pretty expensive
  • Who wants one?

How about producing a device very much like a pandora but:

• USB host port, SD slots, keyboard (different keymat available), game controls etc are all USB slave devices (Via the miniUSB port)
  • Screen takes analogue video in over the ext port, using a ext-to-ext cable
  • audio stuff (headphone socket + volume wheel) also takes input from ext port
  • battery is optional, and provides extra power for the USB slave stuff, the screen and an audio amp

This has the advantages:

• Most of the parts are already in production
  • The PCB would be quite simple
  • Twice as many buttons, screen space, battery life
  • Suitable for two-player gaming with the right cable
Disadvantages:

• Still pretty expensive
  • Who wants one?
Who says the current OpenPandora is cheap?  If people like the product, they'll pay for it.  With the kind of support this community has, it is worth it to charge extra :D   

Who says the current OpenPandora is cheap?  If people like the product, they'll pay for it.  With the kind of support this community has, it is worth it to charge extra :D   
Yeah, it's true that the current OpenPandora sales are up the roof. 

Hmm. Not. Even with a fantastic community the Pandora does not sell well, in case you did not notice. Of course price limits the possibility of new comers, and reduces the market size significantly. No matter how Ferraris or Teslas are good, not everyone will buy them, just because they can't afford it. It's really simple economics. 

The thing I don't like about being able to buy a second screen unit with two LCDs in or one in portrait orientation or anything else is that it splits the community. This is already a small enough club as is - why should any developer spend the effort to support a screen orientation only a small fraction of users has?

I still like Klumpen's idea of one default screen module with two connectors so you can attach it either way round. Presumably it'd need to be in landscape orientation to act as the lid when closed, and you'd need some clever latching mechanism to allow it to be attached so close to the hinge without becoming twisted off every time you open and close it.

Or perhaps I'm still thinking too much of a P1-style device? No reason a future OPT device needs to be the same shape if it doesn't solve any problems.

Just to drag this into the realms of insanity...

Standard clam shell with the same bottom-half style as the DS, by which I mean your (physical) gaming controls are on the sides of the screens.

Then, with no space for a keyboard, we use this.

No idea how well that technology works, but it looks like it could be quite nice. Of course, this is all dreaming, unless ED has a few million stashed somewhere..

This picture?

post-1035-0-72957400-1329258493.jpg

(see the top right)

I'm not sure, I thought there was one with more coffee in it, but I may be wrong. Anyway thansk for proving my point

Back