Pandora can handle N64 emulation

FWIW, Craig has also said "off the record" it's doable. It's all words until someone DOES it. Just be patient.

there was little sceptisicm that it could be done (from real devs)... more skeptisism that anyone would actually do it by launch and they aren't unless someone around here has an N64 emu up thier sleeve we don't know about

We have always known it was possible, should someone put enough work into it, but what we have always said is that porting an existing emulator is insufficient, and writing one from scratch (to take full advantage of the Pandora) will take a LONG time. The amount of time that most people are not interested in investing at the moment.

Squidge said:
blah blah blah.... I Squidge, will work on the n64 emulator for the pandora.... blah blah blah

J/K :D Squidge didn't actually say that. (I fear some people would have taken me seriously)

Last edited by a moderator:
within 8 months to a year we will see n64 running on pandora in much the same performance as the original xbox
then after that it should get refined to the point most games will run very happily.

it might be sooner but dont bother thinking about it,it will happen.

ohh and the pandora can do n64,mabe better than original xbox,just needs a good team behind it.

By the way, why would porting Mupen64 be insufficient? As a huge fan of the Pandora who also codes for a living, I get jitters thinking about working on a project like this. If only I had the time to start on it.

paddy said:
within 8 months to a year we will see n64 running on pandora in much the same performance as the original xbox
then after that it should get refined to the point most games will run very happily.

it might be sooner but dont bother thinking about it,it will happen.

ohh and the pandora can do n64,mabe better than original xbox,just needs a good team behind it.
+1. I think you pulled that time frame out of thin air, but it sounds realistic to me, so I stand by it.
Your grammar was a little... strange, though. What did you mean by the last sentence? Isn't that what you said at the beginning?

naples39 said:
God Ginrai said:
Like I've said the past 3 topics I've posted in that were about zod "quitting." I won't believe Zod is giving up on the emu until you can show me a quote saying that he is not going to work on the emu (one from Zod himself, not someone speculating) and can show me where this quote is. Otherwise, I'll take it that Zod will be working on the emu later, because he's busy with the iphone stuff atm.-God Ginrai

It is amazing that because Zod once said he "will look into" an N64 emulator for Pandora everyone interpreted that as a promise to deliver. He never once even said "I will do it" or "I've started on it."

All the more reason for the possibility for him to have said "I quit" to not be a possibility at all. Also, I know that Zod never said in words that he was definitely doing an N64 emulator, but reading what he did post, and from my conversation with him I had on IRC just after he made the post about looking into it, I was pretty well convinced that even if he didn't start it soon, he would do it, provided he had time to spare.

EDIT: Btw, CTF, It kindof is old news. Back when we were considering the OMAP chip or the i.MX31 chip for the then-called Craiginator, either ED or Craig (I think it was ED) told me over IM that with the OMAP chip that N64 emulation should be possible. (There were no promises about fullspeed emulation, or it actually happening tho', so no one get their hopes up)

-God Ginrai

cb88 said:
there was little sceptisicm that it could be done (from real devs)... more skeptisism that anyone would actually do it by launch and they aren't unless someone around here has an N64 emu up thier sleeve we don't know about
Really? Go back and look at past posts and interviews of a number of people. It's one thing to have an opinion and another completely to change what happened. :p And I'd expect Craig to bolster the product; heck, he also said Quake 4 and Doom 3 would run on Pandora. He's an honest guy, but he's still selling a product.

And FYI, "possible", "maybe", and "perhaps" are not "yes" or "no".

Man i really wish i knew how to code stuff because my football season (American football) is just about over and i would gladly start on it

A little OT but was this thread merged or something recently? I could swear I've seen the last few posts, but it says they were posted today and I haven't been on in a few days...

On the positive side, isn't it good to have something to look forward to? :)

As Pandora owners, it seems we are going to be blessed from the outset with a stunning array of emulators. One thing I loved about the GP32 and GP2X scenes was the anticipation of what the devs, who volunteer their own valuable time, could come up with next.

As the eminently respected Squidge says, N64 is doable, but it will take a hell of a commitment from a talented dev - and I for one look forward to watching things develop.

Cheers

CronoTriggerfan said:
... he also said Quake 4 and Doom 3 would run on Pandora. He's an honest guy, but he's still selling a product.

Okay, when did he say this? Please give a link that proves running quake 4/doom 3 was ever claimed to be possible on the pandora by craig. This rumour keeps coming up and I have never ever seen anyone say this but confused noobs on the forum.

It has been said that quake 3 will work on the pandora and that is reasonable. But quake 4 and doom3? Saying that would just be plain stupid because everyone knows that it's not going to happen... EVER.

xnopasaranx said:
Okay, when did he say this? Please give a link that proves running quake 4/doom 3 was ever claimed to be possible on the pandora by craig. This rumour keeps coming up and I have never ever seen anyone say this but confused noobs on the forum.
I think it's from this interview with Craig - although it actually only mentions Doom 3 and Quake 3, not 4.

So how powerful will the Pandora be?

It is, without doubt, the most powerful portable games system ever and at the time of writing the most powerful mini computer, too. It has openGL 2.0 3D hardware, a 600-900Mhz CPU, media coprocessors, an 800x480 LCD and 128MB of RAM. The killer app with the hardware is that it is using an ARM Cortex A8 CPU, meaning astonishing battery life – over ten hours – which blows away similar mini PCs based on the old x86 chipsets. You will be able to play games like Quake III with ease and at the cutting edge even Doom III (if the engine goes open source soon, of course).

xnopasaranx said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
... he also said Quake 4 and Doom 3 would run on Pandora. He's an honest guy, but he's still selling a product.

It has been said that quake 3 will work on the pandora and that is reasonable. But quake 4 and doom3? Saying that would just be plain stupid because everyone knows that it's not going to happen... EVER.

Well, I think I remember that craigix said something about doom3 on an interview

I don't think doom 3 will be too much for the Pandora. There is a version optimiced for xbox1, the engine is scalable.

okay, doom 3 it is... well yeah, it might be possible if it was ported and highly optimized.

Still, I think he just mentioned it to give an example of how powerful the pandora might be. I've seen this quoted out of context so many times now and it annoys me as it was never promised that there would be any release of any kind of this on pandora. Also, both games are still closed source which makes porting and running it IMPOSSIBLE as I said.

EDIT: Thanks Fishybawb and efegea

CronoTriggerfan said:
cb88 said:
Really? Go back and look at past posts and interviews of a number of people. It's one thing to have an opinion and another completely to change what happened. :p And I'd expect Craig to bolster the product; heck, he also said Quake 4 and Doom 3 would run on Pandora. He's an honest guy, but he's still selling a product.

yeah I remember there being a LOT of people like my self arguing over it.... pointlessly but I don't remember any dev saying that it was not possible do you?

i definitly remeber N64 being possibly maybe prrobably not available at launch... though

Back