Pandora can handle N64 emulation

cb88 said:
yeah I remember there being a LOT of people like my self arguing over it.... pointlessly but I don't remember any dev saying that it was not possible do you?

i definitly remeber N64 being possibly maybe prrobably not available at launch... though
I think the biggest problem is trying to find the right developer for this, at the moment most developers just don't have the gentoos to take on a project like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, but my Linux machine with 512mb of ram and athlon 4200 x2 struggles to give me more than 40fps on Goldeneye (mupen64)...

I thouht they used doom 3 as a example not to expect anything better to ever run on the pandora, rather than doom 3 running itself, more of a "doom 3 would be the limit in terms of HW capability"

I'm pretty darn sure doom3 would be the limit of the pandora's ability. Outbeside that we need to chill out on what its capable of... N64 is a gimme, not even gonna argue that. PS1 is a definate gimme, q3 is a definate, but not q4, I think q4 is a little too much, and even if Doom3 runs, it won't get as nearly as good graphics as the pc, but I think we'll some something either on the moderate or low side, just hope the lighting is decent.

The only other thing I want to see this thing handle is saturn, the dc, and UT. If pulls those out then you got the sickest handheld we have ever laid eyes on.

Doom 3 would only run if source code was released and an ARM engine was developed. So hoping the lighting is decent at this point is a little premature :p

i doubt the Pandora could run doom 3,the original xbox can run doom 3 but it was more than just a port and the xbox has nvidia geforce 3 graphics that would seem more compatible for opengl,i dont know alot about Pandoras gpu well actuly nothing at all about it but just cant seem to see it running doom3.

Doom3 source would need to be avail then some hardwork could get doom3 running
on pandora but would imagine it to run very poorly with graphical errors.

BTW does linux run doom3 ?
Also is there any new to linux users out there ? im using ubuntu but finding it
a love/hate relationship and would like some advice - help with a few things.

paddy said:
BTW does linux run doom3 ?
Yes, I've only played it on linux.

I'm almost certain the pandora can handle doom3 at it's native resolution.

The XBOX's GeForce 3 chip is hardly comparable to the Pandora's SGX, which has fully programmable shaders. If I had to compare the SGX to a GeForce line, you're looking at a GeForce 7 series equivalent GPU from a shader perspective, one that performs in the mid-high end GeForce 5,6 range.

Doom 3 is doable, in all of its heavy dynamic lighting glory.

AireTamStorm said:
The XBOX's GeForce 3 chip is hardly comparable to the Pandora's SGX, which has fully programmable shaders. If I had to compare the SGX to a GeForce line, you're looking at a GeForce 7 series equivalent GPU from a shader perspective, one that performs in the mid-high end GeForce 5,6 range.

The feature set of the SGX is certainly in line with the geforce 7 series, but you're seriously overestimating the computational capabilities. It's about on par with the geforce 6200, X3100, and radeon X300 in terms of pixel fillrate, and falling behind quite a bit in geometry calculations.

okay thats like comparing apples to oranges...

but seriously unichrome or intel GMA 950??? now that doesn't sound right especially since that thing lack T&L....I remember the old page on that thing when anand took a look at and they said that it only pulled 14 fps at like lowest res with everything turned off.

gma950 is missing full dx9 shader support, but it is still dx7 TnL compatiblle.

But that is completely besides the point. It does not do OpenGL2.

It would need to be optimised in the same way that quake is optimised for gp2x.

whatever, if N64 DO make it on the Pandora , i will most likely go through Conkers bad fur day for the fourth time . ( once on n64 , twice in emulation , annnd on the pandora )

Mr.Gonzo said:
whatever, if N64 DO make it on the Pandora , i will most likely go through Conkers bad fur day for the fourth time . ( once on n64 , twice in emulation , annnd on the pandora )
What have you done. What have you done! *lol*

Never eared of the game. Looked it up on youtube. O yea. Time to put that one on the list. :)

Conker's Bad Fur Day - The Great Mighty Poo

greatest game to ever hit the console ! aahahah ( noo flaming pweezzz )

The pandora could handle pretty much anything
Just imagine this thing becoming so amazing. It starts dating our girlfriends, our moms , next thing we know they stole our job and they are raising our kids!!

.... ok maybe not.

sdedalus said:
AireTamStorm said:

The feature set of the SGX is certainly in line with the geforce 7 series, but you're seriously overestimating the computational capabilities. It's about on par with the geforce 6200, X3100, and radeon X300 in terms of pixel fillrate, and falling behind quite a bit in geometry calculations.

You're basically just repeating what I said.

Benjiro said:
Conker's Bad Fur Day - The Great Mighty Poo

how utterly utterly bizarre. now even i am convinced that we need n64 emulation on the pandora...

Back