Votes: 7 8.8%
  • wat?

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
This just in.... Pandora consoles banned from Ebay for being a 'piracy device'.

— Craig J V Rothwell (@Craigix)

January 10, 2011

lolololololololol

So are they going to ban x86 desktops and laptops as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my PC can be used as a "piracy device" too, if a want to. So I guess I can't sell it there either

It's not exactly a secret that EBay sucks. That said, it's great for selling things- millions of idiots willing to pay massively over the odds for the crappy free DVR things they bundle when you buy a new TV.

Augh, I posted a minute too late...

Can a mod please merge?

This just in.... Pandora consoles banned from Ebay for being a 'piracy device'.

— Craig J V Rothwell (@Craigix)

January 10, 2011

lolololololololol

So are they going to ban x86 desktops and laptops as well?

ebay are farcicial.they regulary have toys that are blatant knock offs for sale.If you complain they remove it and then it is back on the next day again.ludacris. :blink:edit if craig puts them back on tomorrow on ebay bet they wont notice.

We're trying to explain to them now that it's just a mini-computer.

They probably just looked at the wrong things online and got the wrong idea.

They also said even if it isn't a copy device it's banned because it can play 'imports'.

We're working on the situation...

Imports? Let's ban all handheld game consoles and the PS3.

Piracy? Let's ban CD-R(W)s, DVD-R(W)s, computers, DVD players, fuck, let's ban everything electronic (except for graphing calculators).

I'm pretty sure graphic calculators have been used to create some fairly infringing knock-offs of platformers. Ban those, too.

'Imports' is a pretty open ended term. This sounds more like "We've banned it because some company (NINTENDO) are putting the pressure on us to remove anything with more than a vague association with emulation of their IP"

Hello Nintendo? I see you there. Hiding behind EBay. Waging your stupid war on piracy. Your first party franchises have all turned to shit. What now?

Emailed them to clarify. It's possible Craig is mistaken in some way, but if not, I'm quite insulted.

They also said even if it isn't a copy device it's banned because it can play 'imports'.

OK - then it's best if the rest of us stay out of it for now and let you work it out with them.

In order for it to have made that list though... Someone had to have placed a complaint right? I think we'd all love to see a copy of that - and what grounds they used for proclaiming it as such.

Somewhere out there, there is someone who considers the Pandora to be a threat to something.

Add that as a row on the T-shirt or in the marketing material. "Banned by Ebay for being too open."

Keep us informed on this. I'm sure it's no laughing matter to you - this effects your business. However, the sheer thought of how someone 'justified' the complaint has me laughing inside.

Clearly they should ban all toasters with two slots. Someone might use one to copy bread - then what would all of the bakeries do?

We have emailed them to explain that it's they who are mistaken. We have a power seller account so we can phone them too. I get the feeling some idiot just decided it must be illegal without really looking in to it. I am entertained about it though, mostly because I'm pretty sure they will unban it once they actually look in to it.

I didn't know ebay did ban such sales, I've seen loads of stuff along the lines of piracy on there. A quick search will bring up loads of stuff.

have you ever thought about selling it over amazon? they are also more reliable than ebay

In that case, let's ban graphing calculators. That just leaves smoke alarms and egg timers. Or has someone written an NES emulator for those, too?

Huh. Look at all those Wiz and Caanoo handhelds Ebay has for sale... :rolleyes:

Craig - did this get noticed because of the refurbished units you said you had?

(http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?showtopic=917&view=findpost&p=17834)

Can you give us some details? Quality, what kind of warranty they'll have, how much you're going to list them for (auction or buy-it-now), etc?

Much obliged.

Back