Pandora for business

It only works on Windows or Mac.

And THAT was my point.  Because it could not run the software NATIVELY...and has the overhead of emulation...there is NO WAY...anyone could use a Pandy to wreak havoc on my software for my business...hence, there is no real security risk TO MY BUSINESS...issuing Pandy's to employees...especially seeing as how the software would not even be PUT on the Pandy to begin with.

Someone would have to first figure out how to get XP to run at a useable speed on a Pandy...and THEN...figure out how to get the software onto the Pandy...and even THEN, they still would need a password.

By the time they do all THAT....they would just use a full-powered compy if they wanted to wreak havoc...and not a Pandy.

The Pandy would be issued to employees, because I am having a database app made custom for me...which lists ICD9/ICD10 codes and CPT codes and Medicare Allowed Amounts for those CPT codes.

This way, any user would have this information on the fly.  and THAT is the area in which the Pandy could be a use in my business...and thus could justify giving them to employees.  didn't say I WOULD...but that this would be a justifyable business use.

And pointing out that, while some large companies might have issues with security that could be explouted with a Pandy...mine really doesn't, because of the simple fact that the software is not able to run on other than a Windows or Mac OS, and since the Pandy can't run new enough versions of these at useable speed...there really would not be any security risk above and beyond what I would already have...just having employees!

Because employees would have access to the software from a full-powered computer.  SO...if THEY wanted to wreak havoc, why not just use the full-powered PC instead of dinking around with a Pandy trying to create problems?

And, assuming a stupid employee left their Pandy is a bus station somewhere...the software would never have been loaded onto the Pandy, anyway...and, even if iwere...and at useable speed, there is still a matter of a password...which I can change at a moment's notice.

My whole point being...issuing a Pandy to an employee...in my line of business, represents no more a security problem...than issuing them a signon and password.

COULD it be done?  Maybe....and I really doubt it.  But sure as hell not by a stranger that picked up an abandoned Pandy at the bus station.  And the employee having a logon and password already represents a far more potential security risk...than them having a Pandy.

I mean...are you telling me I should not even HIRE someone who has a Pandy they bought themselves?  Gimme a break!

So would it matter whether it was company-issued....or bought personally?

(excuse mt French) fucking
Just how is that a French word ?
that is a figure of speech that the older generation knows. It means excuse my swearing.

I think the phrase originated with something like, "He swears like a drunken Frenchman."

At any rate, I guess I'm showing my age using that phrase.

And Kumaki is a SHE.

I know girl gamers are rare, but we DO exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Excuse my French" is a phrase meaning 'don't be overly offended by the following word'

Kumaki, calm down. The people you are responding to is not saying what you think they are. That means you are getting all worked up about something that nobody has said. That is never the path to enlightenment.

"Excuse my French" is a phrase meaning 'don't be overly offended by the following word'
So using the phrase can offense French people  ;)  . That's some kind of paradox  :lol:  !
I suppose it is.  It's generally an American phrase.  And that's the other reason some here might not have understood it.

As you all have a bad habit of assuming everyone is male unless you know otherwise, I have the Ugly American habit of assuming everyone else is American unless I know otherwise.  This is a problem on the Internet, lol

So using the phrase can offense French people  ;)  . That's some kind of paradox  :lol:  !
I suppose it is.  It's generally an American phrase.  And that's the other reason some here might not have understood it.

As you all have a bad habit of assuming everyone is male unless you know otherwise, I have the Ugly American habit of assuming everyone else is American unless I know otherwise.  This is a problem on the Internet, lol
Fair enough !

Kumaki, calm down. The people you are responding to is not saying what you think they are. That means you are getting all worked up about something that nobody has said. That is never the path to enlightenment.
Oh, heavens...I am not "all worked up"  Believe me you never want to see me get there.  I was just barely beyond a mild annoyance.

My point was...and people kept jumping in to refute me...was that there was really no additional security risk in our company issuing an employee a Pandy....that didn't already exist...by said employee buying his own Pandy.  And, also, if someone REALLY wanted to wreck havoc...why not just use your full-poowered PC, which already has all the software loaded, and you have a logon and password....why not just use that rather than dinking around with a Pandy to make it do what could be done a lot easier, anyway?

And since the actual software would not even be loaded on the Pandy...no starnger that picked up an abandoned one in a bus stop...would have the first clue what it was for, who it belonged to, or how to wreck havoc with MY specific companyu with it.

My point was security risk is negligible.

Unless you want to suggest no company should hire anyone who owns a Pandy, because they just MIGHT use it to cause security issues!

It is wrong to say that your software could not be used on the pandora, but it is also wrong to say that pandoras would be a major security risk to the company.

I think everybody understands this.

...Binky said it. I don't think anybody but you thought that anybody thought that an employee with a pandora would be a security risk.

...Binky said it. I don't think anybody but you thought that anybody thought that an employee with a pandora would be a security risk.
Then WHY did hedwards and Grench say what they did? THEY were the ones pissing me off.

My whole point had been...since the Pandy is something ANYONE could buy and use (wish more people did!!) - there is certainly no extra security risk in issuing a Pandy to an employee...versus them buying one on their own.

So if any company was THAT worried about the security risk of a Pandy...then maybe they should not hire anyone who OWNS a Pandy.

Which, of course, is stupid.

I can't see that anyone says anything that is out of the ordinary. None of them, for instance, is talking about running your particular custom windows-only software on the actual pandora. You are making some rather sweeping statements about how noone could possibly use a pandora to cause trouble in your line of work, and hedwards quite correctly calls bullshit on that - If a device is usable in a company/work setting, then that means that that device in one way or another interfaces with the company IT systems, and that means that a crafty individual  might find a way to break in.

I think you'll find most IT professionals reacting rather strongly to that kind of general "well, that can cause no trouble" statement, since a few years on the security side of it (or IT, even) will teach you that 1) yes it can, and 2) it will happen through those who believe it can.

Later (above here) you amend that to say that there will be no extra security risk involved in issuing an employee with a pandora, compared to them buying and using one themselves. And that is of course true, but something completely different.

The point hedwards is trying to make is this (I'd think - He'll have to correct me otherwise): Any device that is authorized to be used in a work environment is a potential security risk to that environment. As long is the users and the security staff is aware of that, it can usually be handled. When people start being careless, though, is when things go boom in the night.

Maybe. But I'm a tiny company. I don't HAVE IT systems. i'm not a giant 2000-person company or anything.

The main use for a Pandy in my work, with my employees...would be to have access to certain information (which is NOT proprietary, nor PHI, nor in any way solely related to my business) right in the palm of their hand.

In my case....

Quick access to ICD9/ICD10 codes (which could be found on the Internet) but having them in a handy little pocket app is much nicer

Quick access to CPT codes and the Medicare Allowed Amount on those codes (which also can be found on the Internet) - again, having them in a handy little app that goes in your pocket is just nicer.

My point was...fo MY business...there is ABSOLUTELY NO SECURTITY RISK that a Pandy brings...that doesn't already exist by simply HAVING employees.

And, well, those particular cases, nobody has disputed :)

1. A pandora would not introduce any new security risk to Kumaki's company
  2. A pandora could be used in part of a 'cyber' attack on a database server
People are arguing about something they agree on, and then argue about whether or not they agree with each other, even agree that they disagree on whether-or-not they agree with each other on the original issue. :eek:

Close, it means excuse my language, but I'm not sure why they chose French for the saying, it could just as easily been German or Russian for that matter.

Back