Pandora keyboard design discussion

Thanks for the merged thread title. Positive + Negative = Neutral :)

Anyone got a device the same size as pandora where they think the keyboard is better for thumb typing?

Thanks for the merged thread title. Positive + Negative = Neutral :)

Anyone got a device the same size as pandora where they think the keyboard is better for thumb typing?
Thats what mods do :) Do say (or use the report button) if you think there's reason to change a title.

My hp40gs - no match for the pandora in terms of screen, processor or software and connectivity, but a damn good keypad

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if has been mentioned, the Psion Series 5/5mx keyboard is patented, too. So you'd have be careful how much you copied it.

this means that people regularly comes to the same question... there are many reasons why...

MY QUESTION: CAN WE BUY FLAT KEYS !!?? SOMEWHERE ?   Those rounded keys, I dont like it. Cannot type anything compared to my Zaurus. With my Zaurus, I am much much much faster typing, and it has nothing to do with being used. 

The distance that you have to travel to activate the switch simply to long in a Pandora Keyboard and the keys are much much too hard to press.

Not sure if has been mentioned, the Psion Series 5/5mx keyboard is patented, too. So you'd have be careful how much you copied it.
You should have asked me before, I would have told you how to avoid this issue. I know the guy that designed the Psions. It was a pretty good company, you can't believe it. They achieved excellence because they had excellent leaders and employees. So to reply to your question, I could have helped to make a good keyboard. Plus I need one, really, for business.

Not. Another. Keyboard. Poll.

/Veteran

You should have asked me before, I would have told you how to avoid this issue. I know the guy that designed the Psions. It was a pretty good company, you can't believe it. They achieved excellence because they had excellent leaders and employees. So to reply to your question, I could have helped to make a good keyboard. Plus I need one, really, for business.
Now that's interesting. Maybe we can have a replacement for the keyboard which fits in a the case (or maybe with a slightly new upper case) I'd really want to know how much this replacement would cost when one wants Psion quality. Do you care to ask that guy for a guess?

The keyboard is one on the P1's many features that could be improved, but shouting (or using ALL CAPS) won't help.

Designing/prototyping good hardware is expensive, and the project already has an improved keyboard design lined up for the P2.

The current keyboard is usable (if far from perfect) and there is bluetooth/USB to connect a better one. If there is ever a P2, it is sure to have a better keyboard. Both Craig and ED are in huge debts. What more are you expecting them to do?

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9706-experiment-improving-the-keyboard-quality-based-on-technique-used-in-hp-200lx-keyboard/?hl=keyboard

If you are replying to my post, Binky: I don't want ED or Craig to do anything about it. I know that this not only impossible but it would also be rude to ask them, knowing that they have spent time and effort in the given keyboard before building the Pandora. But the users which are unsatisfied with the keyboard could try to group together and try to build/get build a replacement keyboard. I for myself couldn't offer much help but am willing to buy such a keyboard even if it might cost 150 Euro. As I haven't any knowledge or insight in creating hardware I tried to get an educated guess from one who knows.

Hey, this is what the forums are about: Dreaming to push the Pandora to the limits. Others want Dreamcast and PSP emulators, I want an improved keyboard. Let's see what's first ;) .

The Pandora keyboard is quite good once you get used to it. I wrote several thousand lines of code on it. Yes, a dedicated TAB key would have been nice, as well as an extra pair of shoulder buttons for Fn and ALT. Otherwise I'm quite happy with it.
On that subject, can the right should be re-progged to the Fn key?  I know many of the controls can be re-mapped, I'm just wondering if there was anything special about either the shoulders or the Fn key.

TV_touch_remote.jpg

This one actually gives me the fear.

The Pandora keyboard is quite good once you get used to it. I wrote several thousand lines of code on it. Yes, a dedicated TAB key would have been nice, as well as an extra pair of shoulder buttons for Fn and ALT. Otherwise I'm quite happy with it.
On that subject, can the right should be re-progged to the Fn key?  I know many of the controls can be re-mapped, I'm just wondering if there was anything special about either the shoulders or the Fn key.
I guess anything could be mapped to anything. But I use CTRL quite a lot and its non-shoulder location is far worse than thar of SHIFT.

Back