Pandora Logo?

i dont take any credit what so ever for these mock ups i just really liked Eolair's idea with the lettering and jpic3yk's logo and wanted to see them togather

pandlogo2crop2dv3.jpg

panda11.jpg

This woks fine for me, but the top and the bottom of the box should be on one line with the top and bottom of the p of "pandora".

logotype.jpg

This one looks very good to, but the box also should be smaller. The work is very accurate, but I prefer the otherone (p&|a box) on top. Try to combine the p&|a box with the font of the second logo. That, I guess, would be my favourite one.

HanDuo said:
This woks fine for me, but the top and the bottom of the box should be on one line with the top and bottom of the p of "pandora".
I had more time today to update it a little, moved the box down, and tried to smooth it a little.

panda13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirohagen said:
I like the concept, but do you think you could make it a little easier on the eyes? It just feels like one of those optical illusions that you see two ways, but when I look at it either way, the little curve/fade thing bugs the crap out of me. Of course, it might look even worse without it, but I wouldn't be able to tell until I saw it.

jmetal88: That's kind of the idea though, would be a shame to lose it. I'll put one up where it's more subtle and see what you make of that...

®

Actually, I think that if it doesn't work without gradients, it doesn't work at all. If it's going to be imprinted on the Pandora either in relief or as some sort of a sticker (heat transferred) it's more expensive to use gradients (and probably impossible if they do an actual relief, but what do I know?) and a lot of the time, people will most likely focus on the pure outline of it, and if the pure outline doesn't work alone, well...

It's a good point Magnulus, I do this for a living, so I know what you mean, sometimes reproduction techniques can be tricky, especially as part of industrial or product design.

I think this shape works as a single solid shape anyway, it's pretty elementary. You can use it solid when you need to, but when you don't (ie 99% of the time on the web or in 4-colour process print - or even single colour) then it could have the gradient in it because that's how it looks best. I'm thinking that you'd only need to go solid for physically cutting the shape out of something for a badge for instance, or in some signage situations where you might cut a single colour vinyl. Maybe the main situation where you might be wary of the gradient here is when using the logo very small, or on the Pandora itself. You'll notice that it's solid where I've shown it embossed on the lid of the Pandora anyway. To be honest, even if you had to cut it out or emboss it, there are still ways around it, but for the sake of simplicity we could have two versions; gradient and solid.

This is what it looks like solid:

logosolid.jpg

It works fine, but I think you'd still want the nice seductive gradient versions for adverts and cool web uses, it's just a bit sexier. The gradient helps it look that little bit less homespun.

Many companies' brand logos come in more than one version, for optimum print and for restricted print, so perhaps that's what we might look at here. Think of logos like xBox, Apple, Sky or Sony Ericsson which all have quite complex shading or gradients in them, but there's a solid or simpler version to call on when necessary.

I guess the key thing when you're designing something like this is not to forget about the practical stuff, but not let it limit you. Coming up with a cool logo is the important part, then most of the battle is won. Sure it will have to look good on the machine, but it will have to work it's socks off in print, event signage, merchandising, packaging and on the web to actually SELL the machine before that owner opens it up and sees the badge.

Hope this helps, I'll leave the gradient in the other thread for now, I need to find some more time to do any proper development on it. Meantime, keep the suggestions coming, especially on the actual text lettering - I'm enjoying working on it...

Apologies for typing so much...

®

It would appear narrower when the logo is printed at a smaller size, we're looking at it a lot bigger than it would generally be used here. In fact, it would be a good idea to keep it quite strong, otherwise it could break at very small sizes.

jpic3yk: I think your original letters were best, perhaps the icon there doesn't need perspective either, the letters don't have it so the two look like they're on different planes, if that makes any sense...

®

Great stuff, Shiro! Looks very good.
(As you've seen from my one suggestion, I'm not much of a designer in practice, but I do have a lot of theoretical knowledge and an eye for design. Just not the hands for it. DAMN THESE HANDS!!!)

I like the gradient effect, it's a neat kind of illusion. But it does work well without it, too.

Fantastic work Shirohagen. This logo is really strong both ways (solid, gradient). The more I see it, the better it is. I think the thing that I like the most about it is how recognizable it is at a quick glance. In terms of branding, you've nailed it. It also has the versatility that it will work with any two colours and on many different mediums. It's simple, clean, effective and appealing.

:)

Hi all, first time poster.
I discovered the Pandora the other day, and I must say it's a fascinating piece of hardware. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Anyway, I thought I'd quickly try my hand at a logo.
Someone mentioned making it pixel-based to "stick to its roots" a few pages back, so here's a few variations:

pandora1uu4.png

pandora2qq3.png

pandora3tn3.png

And here are the same styles again with a less pixelly look:

pandora4zf5.png

pandora5rn4.png

pandora6tc9.png

Oops. Too many images for one post :)

Finally, a quick attempt at a symbolic logo:

pandorasymbol2fu3.png

(Rationale: it represents Pandora's Box, as well as the initial P; and it shows the box is Open, with the secrets spilling out...)

Back