Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

@pawprints - If if helps, Star Fox, for the SNES, requires double-taps of the shoulder buttons for barrel-rolls, and successfully clearing some stages (particularly if you pick Course 3, which is the most difficult route through the game) can sometimes rely on you being good at that to deflect enemy fire. :p That's probably a good workout for those buttons.

Setting it at 600 is definitely fine :)

The CPU frequency changer provided with the Pandora doesn't change the voltage so there is little harm that can be done.

The little slider moves all the way to 900 and the temptation to move it up for mame is high but my will is strong I won't go over 600 (if 600 is ok).

I wish it had the option for voltage scaling with frequency though. I mean, N900's OS does it.

pawprints said:
The little slider moves all the way to 900 and the temptation to move it up for mame is high but my will is strong I won't go over 600 (if 600 is ok).
You wont damage it, it will just reach a speed when it becomes unstable.
So for mame bump it up, then put it back down to maximise battery usage.
You probably wont start to get stability issues until you at least reach 700+ (you would have to be very unlucky)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any difference between the A8 in the Pandora and the A8 in the Motorola Droid/Milestone? (Official Milestone spec is ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz) because my Milestone runs perfectly at 1.2Ghz, voltage does increase but doesnt hugely effect battery life or heat from the device. It is a hell of a lot smooth though.

DynaMight said:
Is there any difference between the A8 in the Pandora and the A8 in the Motorola Droid/Milestone? (Official Milestone spec is ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz) because my Milestone runs perfectly at 1.2Ghz, voltage does increase but doesnt hugely effect battery life or heat from the device. It is a hell of a lot smooth though.

It's OMAP3430. We don't know of any outright technical differences but since little information is publicly available it can't be said with certainty that they have the same clocking tendencies.

Iorgy77 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
hch said:
This is not a design flaw. And don't call me Surely.

Just wanted to say to you both: Good luck. We're all counting on you.

airplane-3.jpg
Love that film. I've also seen the original 50s film upon which it's based and the direct theft of lines is obvious in a huge number of instances, far more than shown in this side-by-side comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjU-e01zQ4

Exophase said:
I wish it had the option for voltage scaling with frequency though. I mean, N900's OS does it.

Print $STANDARD_MEME_RESPONSE

Exophase said:
DynaMight said:

It's OMAP3430. We don't know of any outright technical differences but since little information is publicly available it can't be said with certainty that they have the same clocking tendencies.

According to the internets the Milestone also has OMAP 3430. I really dont know if this is any help but theres loads of info on the Milestone overclocker here: http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/w/list

How would one go about upping the voltage? Voiding the warranty, I suppose, but I might do it anyway.

[Insert obligatory request for numerical representation of the order I made below]

My right shoulder button 'pops out' when I press on it and it looks uneven compared to the left one, but after the initial pop out, it works alright. I can push up against it to return it to it's place, but it 'pops out' again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Edit: Also, sometimes I have crackling sound regardless of low/high quality headphones at higher volumes. Not sure if this is hardware related, but I can 'fix' it for mp3's by switching the output from als to mod or w/e. Once I switch that though, other songs have the crackling...

absolofdoom said:
How would one go about upping the voltage? Voiding the warranty, I suppose, but I might do it anyway.
It needs to be turned on in the kernel. Rebuild the kernel and libs from source with the right options turned on. Don't ask me which those are, I forget exactly.

Drak said:
My right shoulder button 'pops out' when I press on it and it looks uneven compared to the left one, but after the initial pop out, it works alright. I can push up against it to return it to it's place, but it 'pops out' again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

That was one of the first units then, we had to deal with those L/R buttons and not all did work out perfectly.
The best option is to replace the R-Button, if it's so annoying.

Edit: Also, sometimes I have crackling sound regardless of low/high quality headphones at higher volumes. Not sure if this is hardware related, but I can 'fix' it for mp3's by switching the output from als to mod or w/e. Once I switch that though, other songs have the crackling...

If that fixes it, it's no hardware but a software problem. Alsa could still need a bit more of optimization.
I tried to make a setting so that the buffer is not too high (otherwise games have a bit of delay) and sound quality is good.
It worked for me - but maybe it depends on the Bitrate of the MP3, too, as the crackling usually appears when the CPU is in heavy use.

Last edited:
I was getting so annoyed with the shoulder buttons, that I decided to open the pandora and have a look.

pnd-inside.jpeg

The problem is that the hole for the hinge is too big, and off center.
So instead of the button rotating around the hinge like it should, it just wobbles about a bit.
This makes them very hard to press, and almost impossible to use at the same time as the other controls.
These should really be replaced by proper fitting shoulder buttons.

Another problem was that one of the screws was overtightened, and had snapped off part of the plastic that it goes into, which you can also see on that picture (top left).
It just kept on twisting when I tried to get it out.
It didn't cause any problems though, and the other screws manage to keep the case closed quite nicely. (which is probably why it went undetected)
But please be more careful here when assembling the other pandoras :)

Back