Pandora Owners: Tried Tablet?

-Tj-

It had been said a while back that tablets should work under Linux, perhaps being detected as a generic input device or something like that. I know only a relative handful of people have taken delivery of their units, but of those who have, have any of you tried plugging a Wacom tablet into it? Also, will the drivers from the Linux Wacom project work?

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

The download page makes reference to some x86 items. This concerns me since Pandora is (obviously) not x86. Before I ask any more questions, I'll leave the topic as is for now. :p

-Tj- said:
It had been said a while back that tablets should work under Linux, perhaps being detected as a generic input device or something like that. I know only a relative handful of people have taken delivery of their units, but of those who have, have any of you tried plugging a Wacom tablet into it? Also, will the drivers from the Linux Wacom project work?

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

The download page makes reference to some x86 items. This concerns me since Pandora is (obviously) not x86. Before I ask any more questions, I'll leave the topic as is for now. :p

Yeah i tried plugging in my Bamboo Multitouch and got no reaction period from the Pandora sadly, though i am no coder and would have no idea where to begin getting this to work

Last edited by a moderator:
That's disappointing... I have a Bamboo Pen and Touch that I bought in hopes I could use it with Pandora when it arrives.

Anyone else tried other tablets on it?

Just plugged my Trust branded tablet in.
dmesg confirms it knows what it is - with an Aiptek chipset, and seems to load the driver and everything - but I don't think X is setup to pick it up ( and I remember the fun I had getting X on my desktop to pick it up right! )

So, it's likely to be detected at least!
Afraid I don't have much time to go prodding about at the moment to get it working.. too many irons on the go.

At the very least, you can call "dmesg | tail" in a terminal when plugging it in, and see if it's detected, if it is, that's half the battle done :)

I also have a bamboo and I just got my unit today. I'm sure there is a drive for it, will investigate later tonight.

I don't expect bamboo to work out of the box. But i might look at compiling the wacom module for pandora (i have wacom bamboo - which is not supported by current vanilla kernel wacom module), but i don't really see how a large tablet is useful for a mobile device? Does anyone *really* want this or just for fun?

Well, part of my decision to buy a Pandora was swayed by the idea that it could be used with a tablet. Tablet + Gimp, perhaps. The idea was to draw on the field somewhere. Tablet PC would be nice (and I have one) but it doesn't beat a regular tablet + computer combo for some reason. My Bamboo Pen and Touch fits perfectly in the bag I plan on carrying my Pandora in, along with everything else I need (wifi hotspot, extra battery, PSP, keyboard, maybe mouse...). The tablet driver and Pandora are just about the last two things I need, aside from the mouse. Yup, I *really* want it, and not just for fun. Ok, maybe it is for fun, but I seriously want to do art on the go.

:)

As i must had to compile driver for make working my bamboo pen for ubuntu and Debian , i think you must compile yourself the linuxwacom driver , not seem to have assembler code in driver : i don't see one in fact only c code but no time to verify

Not sure if this helps any... I found this while looking for "linux wacom "bamboo pen and touch"" on google.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1321238

-Tj- said:
Well, part of my decision to buy a Pandora was swayed by the idea that it could be used with a tablet. Tablet + Gimp, perhaps...

Fair enough, i'll take a look at it sometime next week, no promises but we will see. (I just got my pandora today!!!)

btw. I should have made it clear in my earlier post - wacom bamboo works perfectly fine on linux (e.g. in gimp), i use it regularly. The only issue is porting the wacom module to pandora. I don't see why this should be particularly difficult, but i havn't looked at it yet (or how pandora kernel is built, or how X is configured for that matter).

If anyone else is already working on this let me know so I wont bother. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried my wacom bamboo fun (CTE-650), via a hub today, dmesg seems to find it, and lsusb too.
and it starts blinking(pulsing) like it should, but pandora doesnt seem to react, so module seems needed :)

@WombleGoneBad
Awesome, thanks! I really appreciate it. Take your time, enjoy your Pandora. I won't get mine for a while (I'm probably hovering around 3000). :)

Probably of zero use to you but whilst I have no wacom/bamboo bling product to test with, I can use an old crappy genius tablet via a usb 2 hub. It detects it fine and detects the pen hovering from a cm plus from its surface.

Okay, does somebody want to test some tablet modules? :p

I have build setup for the pandora kernel on my pandora, so thought that somebody might want to give it a try.
I havent changed my tree/config that much, so I think my modules should load fine on the original kernel.

I'll add a link + simple install instructions here after compiling this stuff...

EDIT:
We have modules acecad,aiptek,gtco,kbtab and wacom HERE.
Installation (havent actually tried as i could modules_install from my tree).
Download that tar.gz somewhere (I'll assume root of first SD - /media/mmcblk0p1, change accordingly).
Code:
cd /
sudo tar xvf /media/mmcblk0p1/tablet-modules.tar.gz
sudo depmod -a
After this it should just work(tm) :p; if you know what module you need you can test load it with modprobe (sudo or as root), but linux should be able to load it automatically upon attachment, so attach the tablet and try...

This reminds me... a port of mypaint would be great - there already is a version for the n900. I have added it to the port requests section on the wiki a few days ago.

Video of a skilled dude drawing strawberries on his phone. BTW he OC's his unit to 1,15MHz(!) to use mypaint fluently...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E[/youtube]

Tried it, it works!

got one problem though, it tracks my stylus while hovering, but as soon as i click once (touch board eith stylus) it wont move the mouse again... i have to "reset the stylus" by taking it far away from the board..

@kuru

Wow, that's awesome... how is the pressure sensitivity coming into play? Is it picking it up via the resistive touch screen, or is it something I'm not seeing? Amazing... I would love to do that on Pandora..!

Back