pandora review on tweetermanreviews

joekutz

Still Fresh
As a forumwide search here for "tweeterman" did not bring any results, I suppose, I am the first one who found this:

http://tweetermanreviews.com/ .. this guy reviews games and stuff, a bit like ashens.com used to do it. (ashens also reviewed the pandora, loong time ago)

.. Seemes like Tweeterman got the 125th 1GHz-Pandora in a neat wooden box :) but that seemes to be the only merit. Watch .. and be afraid. Unfortuneately, he got one with a halfbroken shoulderbutton as reported several times here in the boards. The rest.. he is no linux guy aparently, and we all know that the pandora is not a device where everything works immediately and without any fiddeling and fine tuning. So.. It is again a device in the wrong person's hand, and again, the real power and diversity of the pandora is not shown at al .. Good keyboard. Good nubs. Emulation of what not. Internet. Video. Office. Homebrew software. All the other stuff a PC can do, etc. pp. .. it's a pity.

just wanted to show you,

cheers, Joe

p.s. Feel free to fill his comments with more qualified statements as there are at the moment.

My problem is when he said he just bought it for the games and emulators. I would have told him even 4 years ago that the Pandora wasn't the device he was looking for.

If he just joined the forums, a lot of his issues could be fixed. I'm commenting solutions to each of his problems with it.

Edit: finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm regretting making a post. It always seems like "fanboyish" ranting against a mainstream that "just, like, doesn't get it, man" when I try, and I usually catch flack for it. :(

He sounds like a retard. I almost laughed when he was using Xfce and told he's not used to Linux ^^.

My problem is when he said he just bought it for the games and emulators. I would have told him even 4 years ago that the Pandora wasn't the device he was looking for.

I use my pandora only for said two things and I still find it pretty awesome.

The pandora keyboard allows you to run old computer emulators better than devices without keyboards. That's a pretty big selling point for retro gaming.

I'm a complete Linux noob and have got on fine with it even though I'm only using it fro games and emulators.

I think that the keyboard is what sold me, trying to use retro computers on a device with only gaming controls is a pain.

I think that was a fair review for a user of his skill level.

That's the only reason I bought mine, is that a problem? It's also the only reason I'm looking forward to P2 as well. I guess I don't like the Pandora either. :p

Chris

Neither of you guys are complaining about the high cost though. :p You saw the Pandora for what it was and accepted that all the features it includes are going to increase the cost. Tweeterman made it quite clear he was looking for a cheap game system and all the extra stuff that comes in the Pandora is completely useless to him, and in that respect there are a lot of systems out there with a lower price tag and fewer features that would have been better suited.

The instant either of you complain about how expensive it is and that you think certain key features should be dropped strictly to save money I'm going to point you right at a GCW Zero or something ;)

He should probably not have upgraded to the 1GHz model, for emulation the added power is not really needed (except N64).

For the most part of the video I was asking myself what was so bad in what he was saying... but then I saw the last minutes... :eek:

I always take functionality over price, by that I mean I'll pay more to get something that does the job properly rather than compromise.

For me the Pandora ticked all the boxes and then some.

Its live on youtube and here is a summary of the comments: "Get a PSP/Tablet". You have got to be kidding me.

Same for me, mostly.

Though I do use some of the Office-type applications and a few other things.

I'm a complete Linux noob and have got on fine with it even though I'm only using it fro games and emulators.

I think that the keyboard is what sold me, trying to use retro computers on a device with only gaming controls is a pain.
Amen.

Neither of you guys are complaining about the high cost though. :p You saw the Pandora for what it was and accepted that all the features it includes are going to increase the cost. Tweeterman made it quite clear he was looking for a cheap game system and all the extra stuff that comes in the Pandora is completely useless to him, and in that respect there are a lot of systems out there with a lower price tag and fewer features that would have been better suited.

The instant either of you complain about how expensive it is and that you think certain key features should be dropped strictly to save money I'm going to point you right at a GCW Zero or something ;)
There's a lot of features Pandy has that I do not currently use. I'd never suggest any of them be dropped to lower the price...I may well end up using some of those features, later, as I start to learn more what I can do with Pandy.

As far as price goes, yeah, I would like it cheaper, too...wouldn't we all?

But if it meant compromising the ten-hour battery life, the full keybpoard...no, the price is fine...I used my delayed tax refund to buy mine, and glad I did.

There's a lot of features Pandy has that I do not currently use. I'd never suggest any of them be dropped to lower the price...I may well end up using some of those features, later, as I start to learn more what I can do with Pandy.

As far as price goes, yeah, I would like it cheaper, too...wouldn't we all?

But if it meant compromising the ten-hour battery life, the full keybpoard...no, the price is fine...I used my delayed tax refund to buy mine, and glad I did.
Again, you're seeing value in those features even if you don't use them, and understand the contribution they make to the price. Tweeterman reviewed the unit and couldn't understand why these features existed. He argued that removing the keyboard would have made it cheaper and a better fit for his demographic rather than trying to figure out why these features were added and the value that they bring to others. The comments were more of the same which suggests that he and his followers were not a good match for the Pandora at all. He's simply a bad journalist. Great blogger I'm sure, I bet he's got all kinds of hits, but I don't think he knows how to do balanced reporting.

Back