pandora server?

pokitfoxx

ok, so granted the userbase is nothing like xbox or ps3 or anything, but couldnt we benefit from having a pandora dedicated server? for running multiplayer games/networked/system link style games? not even sure if its possible or if any1 has thought of it, but just a place where you can turn on your pandora and it automatically connects and you can see/talk to all the other pandora owners........ lemme know if this is nothing but a dream.......or a potential pandora 2 marketing scheme?

in terms of game servers, name the game and find an old box in the corner to run it on, something morelike steam/etc for trans-dora chat/integrated gaming, would need a proper server effort, which usually means money :p

could work though

It does sound doable... what you are requesting basically is a common online user interface and matching traffic server.

This isn't too difficult to code, however it requires a powerhorse and mega-ram-stacked Master Server to handle... aswell as a STUN server for NAT traversal for those who don't know how to configure IPv4 routers, or people having old routers without UPnP support.

As I've coded a whole bunch of stuff related to matching servers on PSP I do know my business about this... however every application ment to be part of this network would be required to use the network matching interface this library provides... and I think the real problem lies there, not with creating the library...

I've been thinking about a system like this built on top of XMPP. Basically the server application would work a bit like a bot on an IRC channel, reachable through the XMPP messaging server. For simple asynchronous games all communication would go through the XMPP server and those that require more speed could negotiate a P2P socket connection. The main bonus here is that the messaging server already exists and supports presence, chatting, rooms and all that jazz pretty much out of the box. I have not thought about the specifics, but so far it has sounded like the best starting point for something like this. In addition, XMPP client libraries exist for multiple languages already, so only the game server protocol would need to be added.

How hard would it be to (ab)use libpurple for something like this? It seems like it might be possible for client programs (games that are interested in matchmaking or achievements, for example) could send and watch for specially-formatted IMs or something like that.

(I'm trying to look at this in a way that means not reinventing the square wheel :) ).

I think it would be excellent if the server were a BeagleBoard or similar :)

generally, right now a forum member says "lets do this just as soon as batch 1 is all shipped", but im not like that

here is my version:

Lets do this as soon as pandoras are no longer a preorder thing! so not just after batch 1 because i feel for the people that couldnt get into batch 1!

Im definately willing to donate or make a fund for a server or this kind of thing, it would be like xbox live/psn/wii network thing for Pandora!

any more thoughts of this are definately welcome!!

also if any1 is super rich out there and already has a "powerhorse and mega-ram-stacked Master Server" that isnt being used right now ;)

Not exactly powerhorse or ram stacked but I could offer my vserver for this cause should we find enough game developers being interested in this.

I don't know much about running custom servers, but one of my friend's dads owns 1Host. Their starter package has quite a bit of bandwidth for $6 a month. Not much storage though. For a server like this bandwidth seems like it'd be the most important thing.

I don't know if you guys remember TINXL and POND, but those two projects already cover everything suggested in this thread. The creators of them have stated that they intend to continue to work on them when they receive their Pandora.

If anyone has any news about either TINXL or POND I would very much appreciate it, though.

I don't know if you guys remember TINXL and POND, but those two projects already cover everything suggested in this thread. The creators of them have stated that they intend to continue to work on them when they receive their Pandora.

If anyone has any news about either TINXL or POND I would very much appreciate it, though.
OoooOooOooooooOOOOooooooooooooooo exciting, imma go look into them

EDIT

apparently TINXL and POND were supposed to be made working together, all ive found is that parag0n was heading the TINXL part and he hasnt been on gp32x.de since Oct 16 2010

too lazy to keep searching for POND

EDIT 2 :

SOME1 GET THIS MAN/WOMAN A PANDORA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back