Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

Seen on DCemu :
FreeDO is going open-source.

Great news for us ^-^

PSyMastR said:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,2085

Spot was a Gp32 emulator.

Yes, and you'll notice how it's also by Squidge. And that it will load the bios, but (so I'm told) not any games. AFAIK it's the games (whether homebrew or otherwise) that are impossible using the approach that Spot takes. Which is kind of the whole point of having an emulator, after all!

Last edited by a moderator:
a n64 emu for the pandora? i have yet to find a working one for my pc. the closest fully working n64 emu i have used is project 64. games like paper mario, legend of zelda OT, and mario party still crash on it. project 64 is pretty much dead. project 64 hasnt had a new verison since 1.6 its 1.7 as been in beta for almost 3 years. the program for porject 64 has said 1.7 will be the final verison and wont be released until 2012. i hope pandora has a working one before than.

PPD-X said:
a n64 emu for the pandora? i have yet to find a working one for my pc. the closest fully working n64 emu i have used is project 64. games like paper mario, legend of zelda OT, and mario party still crash on it. project 64 is pretty much dead. project 64 hasnt had a new verison since 1.6 its 1.7 as been in beta for almost 3 years. the program for porject 64 has said 1.7 will be the final verison and wont be released until 2012. i hope pandora has a working one before than.
lol?

i play it for 2 years almost flawlessly
there are only some minor graphic-glitches for me

It might be your graphics card... I have a computer with an Intel Graphics Chip, and it cant do Super Mario 64 right, but with the same settings on a good computer, it plays fine

So there are, if I counted right and the main post is up-to-date, 21 declared systems emulators that might not be actively worked on because two developers do not have Pandoras? (zx-81 and Tinnus) (some of these are one emulator covering more than one system).

TaG said:
So there are, if I counted right and the main post is up-to-date, 21 declared systems emulators that might not be actively worked on because two developers do not have Pandoras? (zx-81 and Tinnus) (some of these are one emulator covering more than one system).
They'll probably get Pandoras eventually. Right now they're only selling dev units on an as-needed basis.

zacaj said:
Isnt the DS less powerful than the N64, and has the same architecture as the Pandora?
Is the 32X really harder to emulate than the PSX?
The DS is far too recent a system for this kinda stuff.To emulate a system, you need much more power than that system (and I'm not saying the pandora doesn't have more power than a ds). Also, the screen layout for the ds will not work well at all on the panora for many games.

Lou said:
Also, the screen layout for the ds will not work well at all on the panora for many games.
Landscape ?, That is, Both DS screens set side by side on the Pandora`s screen, Which has the pixel density to achieve this 1:1.

But, Then again, Whether DS emulation is possible, Or a developer can be bothered to take up such a project remains to be seen.

Trooper

Any chance of Saturn emulation?

I know even in PC mode it doesn't run but maybe with standardized hardware, it could maybe have a chance of running succesfully?

Satummoo said:
Any chance of Saturn emulation?

I know even in PC mode it doesn't run but maybe with standardized hardware, it could maybe have a chance of running succesfully?
Chances are slim to none, leaning heavily towards none. Refer to first post in thread.

what about http://yabause.org/ it runs on the dreamcast and is written in C (probably not very optimised)... and it seems that only a few graphical functions need to be ported at least acorrding to the wikki

also there is a video of it runnning on a wii on youtube... which has comparable hardware to the pandora

wii ~ 730mhz powerpc 88mb ram 64vram ati graphics

pandora 600mhz arm 128mb shared ram on soc + DSP and graphics acceleration powervr SGX

although the wii emulator looked slow to me....

wait, i thought the pandora was comparable to a gamecube, and the wii was two gamecubes?
so...

waffles said:
wait, i thought the pandora was comparable to a gamecube, and the wii was two gamecubes?
so...
Direct comparisons like that rarely work out.

Honestly, until hardware gets into more hands, and until devs have time to learn how to best use the Pandora, we really can't say exactly what is or isn't possible. That's why I always say things are speculative.

Personally, I'm especially hoping for a nice speedy DOSbox port - I've doing lots of retro PC gaming lately. :)

Prophet said:
Personally, I'm especially hoping for a nice speedy DOSbox port - I've doing lots of retro PC gaming lately. :)
Yea, wouldn't it be sweet to play carmageddon on multiplayer over wifi with the pandora?

If they'd just release the source code to carmageddon 2, I'd die a happy man. :D

not any ARM handheld ... THE most powerfull currently experimental NOX powered handheld on the drawing board

well maybe that is an exaggeration but not by much

cb88 said:
what about http://yabause.org/ it runs on the dreamcast and is written in C (probably not very optimised)... and it seems that only a few graphical functions need to be ported at least acorrding to the wikki

also there is a video of it runnning on a wii on youtube... which has comparable hardware to the pandora

wii ~ 730mhz powerpc 88mb ram 64vram ati graphics

pandora 600mhz arm 128mb shared ram on soc + DSP and graphics acceleration powervr SGX

although the wii emulator looked slow to me....

Yes but are hoping our Pandoras will clock to 900Mhz. Not a feature I'll be using often but I'd happily half my battery life for an extra few fps while playing NiGHTS. Yaaaaaaaaay!

Back