Pandoras Little Brother.

I might buy the next version. Seems rather neat for it's purposes, but I'd want wifi on it.

OrR said:
It's not a gaming device. It's not a web browsing device.
Yeah, this list can be very long ;-)

OrR said:
However, there is no device I know of that does what this does: Full keyboard portable Linux with reasonable processing power and basic multimedia for your pocket under 100$.
As already said, there is such device. Zipit 2. It costs $49 brand new from http://www.zipitwireless.com/addtocart.aspx?ProductID=91 or you can find better deals on ebay (got two of them some time ago, one new and one used, both below $50 including shipping to Europe).

Zipit specs are comparable and it has wifi, and slightly bigger battery and faster CPU (PXA270 inside can be easily clocked to 416Mhz).

There are several pre-made images of linux distributions for Zipit 2 including one which does no change to original firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
fanoush said:
OrR said:
It's not a gaming device. It's not a web browsing device.
Yeah, this list can be very long ;-)

OrR said:
However, there is no device I know of that does what this does: Full keyboard portable Linux with reasonable processing power and basic multimedia for your pocket under 100$.
As already said, there is such device. Zipit 2. It costs $49 brand new from http://www.zipitwire...px?ProductID=91 or you can find better deals on ebay (got two of them some time ago, one new and one used, both below $50 including shipping to Europe).

Zipit specs are comparable and it has wifi, and slightly bigger battery and faster CPU (PXA270 inside can be easily clocked to 416Mhz).

There are several pre-made images of linux distributions for Zipit 2 including one which does no change to original firmware.

wow, this is a cool device! a small zaurus for $50. why did i never hear about it?

finally a computer with a price tag that is not totally out of range for the kids with their pocket money.

i'l go searching on ebay right away. :)

I've looked over the websites of the Zipit z2 and the nanonote. They both look intresting as well but the zipit dosen't seem to be avaliable outside the USA (on their website). Not sure about ebay for a new device like this. It also 'shouts' "teenager" at you. :( (Try out the website - and read their EULA, uh oh...!). Sort of memories of the cybiko there! I'm guessing the Zipit Z2 is aimed at people around 16-18. I'm 36 ....

The nanonote isn't bad either, the lack of wifi is a big omission but I wonder if that tiny thing can run X ? I see it has a mic built in as well, I wonder if it has any line in as well? Only thing that concerns me about the nanonote is I couldn't find much info about it, or rather those who made it. I could find no native forum whatsoever! And I see it uses a MIPS CPU, how easy would it be to compile for it? And QI hardware - does it have something to do with Stephen Fry? :lol:

Both devices aren't that bad, I guess they could be used as some sort of music player and note-taker. I'd rather use one of these at work than take my pandora to work - just in case it got broken or stolen - !

ljones

hch said:
finally a computer with a price tag that is not totally out of range for the kids with their pocket money.
Just make sure you understand the limitations. 32MB is not much to run X and multitasking. Still it is plenty of power to run text or framebuffer stuff (SDL). Keyboard is noisy/clicky (on purpose) but good for thumb typing (it is texting device). LCD has bad viewing angles (similar to dingoo A320). But still it is very nice machine for the price.

hch said:
i'l go searching on ebay right away. :)
most sellers do not ship to europe so it needs patience to wait for one who does or needs lot of asking (works sometimes)

There was also a guy (rkdavis on zipit irc) who tried to import zipits to UK in bulk. I think he got pretty far with it and the price was like $60 incl. S&H plus taxes (in January 2010) but since I already have it I was not interested.

I bought a nanonote two days ago. There is not much softwares for this device ready to use. I'm sure it will change in the future.
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Nanonote_Software_Demos

Back