Pay For Games On Pandora?

Are you willing to pay for games on the pandora?

• Total voters

maiden

Website
mybot.se
It is easier to get an indie game-developers willing to port their games to the pandora if we can show that there are interest in buying their games.

people don't be freetards good things cost good money
also something open-source does not have to be free e.g. openoffice

For the record, the Pandora (OpenPandora is the name of the company put together in order to make the Pandora) was never an "open-source project". The 'open' part is in relation to the freedom for anyone to develop for it without needing to go through any sort of approval or certification process (as opposed to the likes of - say - unhacked PSPs, iPhones etc). 'Open' could also relate to the willingness of the OpenPandora team to let us into the details (warts and all) behind-the-scenes of the production process, but really it's always been about the ease of software deployment.

Given that the Pandora is 'open' in the way development on PCs (generic term) running Windows, MacOSX, Linux etc is 'open', the second option in the poll is as ludicrous as expecting all games on those platforms to also be free (as in beer) just because they don't need to be pre-approved by some 'higher power'.

Hopefully people realise this.

Lastly, most things on Pandora (as with any Linux) will likely be free (in all senses), just because that's what a lot of people like to do (to give back, maybe?). But if someone puts something together that they wanna charge for, and it's good enough in my mind to pay money for, I'll be as happy as anyone to plunk down the cash for it - and more power to them. :)

Nice to know I make up 50% of the total votes so far and 100% of the people who wouldn't pay [these figures were correct at time of writing!] It should be noted that I would pay if I had money, but I don't so I can't. For the forseable future I will remain unable to work, so paying for games is not an option.

How can I afford a Pandora I hear you cry? First let me say "mind your own frigging business", then let me tell you I sold a very precious piece of antique electronics I had hoped to be able make use of myself. Since I wasn't able I sold it to someone else who is in a far better position to make use of it than I am. Oh my, I was sad to see that lovely piece of machinery go, but hopefully the pandora can raise my spirits and make it worthwhile.

Good luck to every Pandora developer out there.

EDIT: Good lord, all your voting makes me look like a right tight arse :(

Line O'Sevens is right imho.

I'm/I've preparing a similar poll for my Pandora SDK for weeks which hopefuly answers such questions (as (some) devs are probably interested in that..)

I'm not "willing to pay for games of higher quality". I DO pay for games of higher quality. What they run on is largely irrelevant, and I obviously prefer cheaper to more expensive - but I didn't run with the "Indie" games recently for free, I coughed up. good effort is worth good reward, IMHO. I rarely pay much for a game without a significant demo though nowadays - there's too much rubbish out there, and good quality stuff that just wouldn't appeal to me.

TitanUranus said:
Nice to know I make up 50% of the total votes so far and 100% of the people who wouldn't pay [these figures were correct at time of writing!] It should be noted that I would pay if I had money, but I don't so I can't. For the forseable future I will remain unable to work, so paying for games is not an option.

How can I afford a Pandora I hear you cry? First let me say "mind your own frigging business", then let me tell you I sold a very precious piece of antique electronics I had hoped to be able make use of myself. Since I wasn't able I sold it to someone else who is in a far better position to make use of it than I am. Oh my, I was sad to see that lovely piece of machinery go, but hopefully the pandora can raise my spirits and make it worthwhile.

Good luck to every Pandora developer out there.

EDIT: Good lord, all your voting makes me look like a right tight arse :(
Going by what you wrote, sounds like you would pay for some stuff if you could afford it.
You can't, and nothing wrong with that, majority of stuff is and will remain to be free.
It didn't sound like you fundamentaly think it's wrong for some software to cost though. Which is what you voted for?

Last edited by a moderator:
TitanUranus said:
It should be noted that I would pay if I had money
Given you said that, and given that the first option in the poll is
First Poll Option said:
Yes, i am willing to pay to get games of higher quality
it kinds sounds like you misvoted a bit.

There's no shame in not having money, or indeed not wanting to spend what money you have on something as relatively frivolous as computer software (it's one of the reasons I've not bought the likes of a NDS, PSP or whatever - $AU50 a game? I'm not THAT keen!). But not wanting to spend money on stuff isn't the same as saying everything should be free. :) (and in the case of Poll Option #2, open-source to boot!)

Just wanted to make sure you made an informed decision and didn't misrepresent yourself.

Of course, being considered a tight-arse by this community is surely the least of your worries. :D

Edit: Oh, sweet - my first ninjaing. I'll remember this day always. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you make a great game which appeals me, I will gladly buy it.
If you make a mediocre thing and want 20$, I won't.

I prefer free.

I am a free software (games and apps) developer and I'm happy to pay for games. Just because I pay for a game doesn'y automatically mean that the quality of that game is higher than a freeware version or that I expect it to be. As a dev that offers my games for free (so far), it also doean't mean I'm willing or expected to give my source code away.

So I fit neither of those options.

Perhaps the statement "Yes, i am willing to pay to get games of higher quality" should be "Yes, I WOULD BE willing to pay to get games of higher quality". I know that's really pedantic, but in my mind the first has a requirement that I currently 'am' willing, where as if it were softened with the proviso 'would be' it covers a multitude of sins. For example I am not willing to pay for games right now because it would probably mean prostituting myself. On the other hand I would be willing to pay for games if I didn't have to sell my virgin man buns to some filthy old sleazebag.

Perhaps the problem is entirely mine, language is very important to me and I have far too much time on my hands. I suppose the best poll question (from my perspective) would be "I don't have a problem with someone charging for something they've developed for the Pandora". In that case I have no problem at all. Oh, and if you are a developer, and do wish to charge for your software, perhaps you would be kind enough to 'give' me a copy and I will write an honest and fair review of it for you in return. I used to write for a living so that would suit me just fine!

Shouldn't a poll like this be anonymous? I think it's clear from the responses to the Humble Indie Bundle thread that there are a number of people here who are willing to offer up money when the conditions are right.

I do hope developers won't let that get in the way of providing sources, though. I think having projects be mostly open source helps foster a healthy and robust community.

Yup, there's also nothing wrong with charging for a game and releasing the source with the binaries.

Like the Humble Indie Bundle are doing.

Also, the AppStore that Craig has been putting together as the repository for PND files will have a purchase option. Developers will be able put their stuff on the AppStore at a cost if they want.
This poll is basically useless because pay-for software will happen regardless of whether you want it to or not. :p By the very nature of the project, there's absolutely nothing OPT could do to prevent it.
Whether the community as a whole will tolerate paying for any sort of software or not won't be known until the first for-pay applications are available.

Well, some thing are so well designed that I would pay for them if needed. But nothing like €30+. More like €5 to €10. If something is really good and better than some other open source projects, I pay for it. Just like I did with Trillian (instant messenger) and the theme for my personal websites, for example.

However, I think it's not a very smart move for OpenPandora to get all major developers on their team and then start developing high-end emulators or something like that. People will not tolerate this I think, as they always thought some stuff like PicoDrive would be freely available to them. That's why they bought (or going to buy) the Pandora in the first place.

The Pandora Store will eventually contain some things that can only be bought. I just hope for the sake of OpenPandora that it will not be buckets of such things. If that happens then people will seriously consider buying a Dingoo/Wiz/etcetera.

I'm not really comfortable with those options.
I think that game code should be "free" (libre) and open source as much as possible, but I'm still willing to pay for them.

I'dd pay for a good indie games or a good custom emulator, what I won't ever pay for is a GPL port of either a game or an emulator. even if the license let you resell GPL software i'dd never pay for that...

I can't vote for either. I like free and open, and I'm also more than happy to pay for commercial software that is worth my while.

I also don't feel comfortable with the option "Yes, i am willing to pay to get games of higher quality", as I feel that it seems to imply that higher quality comes with money, whilst my experiences have proven this not necessarily always the case. :p (For example, I've ended up buying some poor games at full price, yet gotten vastly better ones for cheaper or for free. :p )

That said, my iffiness about the wording aside, if there is a quality product that is sold, I am more than happy to pay the fee if the software suits my needs. :p

I think like most people here I would pay for something that interested me whether that was a game or an app. Hopefully there will be a range of software available for the Pandora (commmercial, donation and free) that people will be able to find something to meet there needs and budget. This would be just like any other platform at the moment so imho the only issue is generating the interest so that people want that game etc. Which leads back to an earlier point about wanting a playable / useable demo.

Back