The Humble Indie Bundle

may88 said:
I HATE GRUSO! I need to sleep - keep playing World of Goo constantly! Eyes starting to bleed! Must rest!

Oh! Yeah! Just noticed - It's my Birthday!

Happy Birthday!!! Now go make me breakfast :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Confuzed said:
Sweet deal!

@droneb Dev: I am disappoint. How's that for failing to make you feel bad?

what??

what are you saying? i've already bought 3 sets of 10USD each (2 for gift purposes). so in average i did offer more :D

thats really cool from those guys releasing all of that.

i just love WorldOG. i used to play TowerOG and i believe i still have those sources somewhere around in my 1Tb HD.

EDIT:

ahh that!.

nope i just found it really funny, they did think about it very well.

i wonder which one of the members of the DEV team posed for that photo. LOL

Someone on the Wolfire IRC said he was working on getting Lugaru running on an HTC Touch Pro. He said it was running at 2 fps with no sound, and it was glitchy, but obviously there's room for improvement since it was just a quick test thing (at least that was the impression I got).

Now, if only someone would pick up the torch for Pandora...

traylorpark said:
second exodous said:
Woohoo, just got back from work and this is my surprise! I didn't know Aquaria was going open source also, that is great news! I played that for a while last night and that would be awesome on the Pandora.

I wonder if the art for these games will also go open source or if it's like an id thing where the art can't be distributed but the engine can. . . Even if that is the case then someone here can port the engine and maybe we can get the devs of these games to sell the art over the Pandora store.

Great news though, this morning when there were 8 hours left I thought it could go either way, glad that it went this way!

A port of Aquaria was exactly the first thought I also had when I saw that game was also going open source. Quite an amazing result!

Pickle... we need your super hero abilities!!!

When I first picked up the bundle (and bought one for my friend), I thought Lugaru was the weakest-looking of the bunch. But so far, it's the only one I've been playing with any sort of regularity - it's got a bit of depth to it once you get into it, especially once you start coming up against wolves: approach from upwind; don't have blood on your weapon (they can smell it a mile off); etc

The biggest hassle I can see porting it to the Pandora (apart from technical issues like x86 -> ARM) is implementing a control system that 'works'. It uses a lot of WASD + Mouse + Mouse Left Click + Left Shift + Space + (to a lesser extent) Q + E, and uses them in a very fast-paced and crucial-to-be-able-to-get-to-them-instantly sort of way. I can see the shoulder buttons getting a good workout, as one will need to have a thumb on the two nubs (or right-nub and d-pad) at all times, which limits the usefulness of the ABXY buttons.

One day maybe we can all be a part of the rigorous beta testing to get the controls right. :)

Line O said:
One day maybe we can all be a part of the rigorous beta testing to get the controls right. :)

if only i we were pointed in the right direction...

Line O said:
When I first picked up the bundle (and bought one for my friend), I thought Lugaru was the weakest-looking of the bunch. But so far, it's the only one I've been playing with any sort of regularity - it's got a bit of depth to it once you get into it, especially once you start coming up against wolves: approach from upwind; don't have blood on your weapon (they can smell it a mile off); etc

The biggest hassle I can see porting it to the Pandora (apart from technical issues like x86 -> ARM) is implementing a control system that 'works'. It uses a lot of WASD + Mouse + Mouse Left Click + Left Shift + Space + (to a lesser extent) Q + E, and uses them in a very fast-paced and crucial-to-be-able-to-get-to-them-instantly sort of way. I can see the shoulder buttons getting a good workout, as one will need to have a thumb on the two nubs (or right-nub and d-pad) at all times (which limits the usefulness of the ABXY buttons.

I could see it working pretty good with two nubs for movement and camera, then right shoulder button for attacks, left shoulder for crouch...and then we need jump and throw/pick up...so maybe implementation wouldn't be as easy as I hoped. I imagine you'd just have to use two buttons for jump and pickup/throw. Those are probably the least important overall anyway.

But, quick movement is pretty vital to Lugaru - it's no pushover. I don't like fighting wolves...I like fighting 4 rabbits at a time with a few weapons in the mix. Tons of reversals going on, just gets absolutely sick.

Did you beat the main campaign yet? I finally beat it today, and I've been trying to beat the other mods. The end of the Lugaru campaign doesn't leave you ready though...the last few levels have you killing stuff with swords. Just do a few flips in the air and do a backstab, or they end up being dazed, so slashes are too easy to pull off.

I tried Lugaru Empire, but I got stuck on a level where, after killing like 5 rabbits, you have to kill 2 wolves barehanded. I'm not patient enough to kill wolves without a knife. Usually I like doing a few flips in the air, landing behind them and pulling off a tracheotomy. I tried pulling off spinecrushers, but it just doesn't work for me.

I tried Lugaru Temple too. The map designs are pretty crazy...way too easy to just fall off and die, but then it's also easy to kill off your foes that way too. Pretty fun overall.

Yeah, I finished the campaign about an hour ago. Struggling with level 12 of the Challenges at the moment, but I suspect most of it is down to a lack of patience on my part (waiting for a chance to get one of the baddies separated etc).

As far as killing with weapons goes, they're fun, but I seem to find myself concentrating better (especially with wolves) if I don't have one. I guess I get too carried away looking for the opportunity to slash or stab, and if you let up your guard with regards watching for a chance to do a reversal, Bad Things Happen.

Control-wise on the Pandora, being able to grab or sheath a weapon's not quite so time-critical (ABXY buttons ftw), but jumping is combat-important. Also good for running away quickly from wolves. :)

I'm off to try a new modded campaign now.

Line O said:

The biggest hassle I can see porting it to the Pandora (apart from technical issues like x86 -> ARM) is implementing a control system that 'works'. It uses a lot of WASD + Mouse + Mouse Left Click + Left Shift + Space + (to a lesser extent) Q + E, and uses them in a very fast-paced and crucial-to-be-able-to-get-to-them-instantly sort of way. I can see the shoulder buttons getting a good workout, as one will need to have a thumb on the two nubs (or right-nub and d-pad) at all times, which limits the usefulness of the ABXY buttons.

How about with the port an additional feature.
The camera always stays behind the players back pointing forward, so as to use only 1 nub for movement and camera controls.

Thus;
left nub= control locomotion + camera
shoulder right= mouse click
shoulder left= something important (shift/space function)
ABXY= the other controls (shift/space + Q + E + ?)
?= toggles lock-on from closest-farthest enemy like on PS2 Vice City [thanks rabidpoobear :) ]

But also keep the original feature;
right nub= control camera rotation exclusively without moving character
This function wouldn't be used during fight since it is fast-paced but other things like observing the hunting grounds, or "fine-aiming" an item to throw long distance.

I haven't played Lugaru yet only seen the demo videos.
But wouldn't the proposed setup work?

P.S. This comes back to one of my original points, 4 shoulder buttons are necessary for some games and was a big let down by OP for not designing it.

I think they should just add a targeting system. so when you're about to engage an enemy you hit some button (say q) and it will switch to targeting mode. then you can hit another button to cycle through available targets. then the camera centers on the enemy, and the left nub does forward/backward and strafing.

rabidpoobear said:
I think they should just add a targeting system. so when you're about to engage an enemy you hit some button (say q) and it will switch to targeting mode. then you can hit another button to cycle through available targets. then the camera centers on the enemy, and the left nub does forward/backward and strafing.

Just fixed it, thanks 'tis a great idea!

Kangal said:
The camera always stays behind the players back pointing forward, so as to use only 1 nub for movement and camera controls.
The positioning of your view to maximise the amount of time you're able to watch the enemy closing in on you to time to counter right is very important (not to mention being able to peer around corners or over edges in order to leap onto someone and surprise them - maybe killing them in one hit). Being able to just look forward would break a fundamental part of the game.

rapidpoobear said:
Sometimes you're getting attacked by 2,3,4 enemies at once, and with judicious use of countering and attacking (and a healthy dollop of luck) you can at least fight them off enough to enable you to move off a bit and give yourself some space. It's all very fast-paced (as you'll know). Having to 'target' anyone manually just won't work (and given your ability to attack only comes into effect when you're "close enough" to a target, it's almost 'automatically targetting' anyway).

Line O'Sevens said:
Sometimes you're getting attacked by 2,3,4 enemies at once, and with judicious use of countering and attacking (and a healthy dollop of luck) you can at least fight them off enough to enable you to move off a bit and give yourself some space. It's all very fast-paced (as you'll know). Having to 'target' anyone manually just won't work (and given your ability to attack only comes into effect when you're "close enough" to a target, it's almost 'automatically targetting' anyway).
The idea is that your camera points at an enemy FOR you. It doesn't really matter how it's implemented. They could just have it point at the closest enemy, or the enemy who is currently engaging you (whoever is going to hit you soonest, for example). The point is just that you don't have to mess with the camera while you're fighting. Did you ever play Zelda? You know Z-Targeting? That's the basic idea.

btw you should use the proper quoting syntax so that it says the person's name who you're quoting at least, if not a link to their post.

Yes, I understand how normal "camera points at the enemy" systems work. I submit that for this particular game, there's no 'right' way to point the camera at the enemy in any given situation, because (for me at least) it depends on what the enemy is, how many there are, what terrain I'm on, what weapon I'm (or they're) holding etc

This discussion's all getting a little out of hand anyway, since it's only just gone open-source and no-one yet knows if a Pandora port is feasible. I'll just wait and see what future developments bring.

re: quoting - duly noted (and corrected). I forgot.

I'd have to agree that Lugaru is the weakest in my opinion. It doesn't help that I don't really like that style of game anyway.
There are just too many moves to learn, and the controls don't really feel particularly intuitive, at least to me.

Nonetheless I finished the campaign in one sitting, apparently not being as clever as other people here. (Wind??)
I pretty much ended up doing most of the levels by running away and then turning to do that running kick move.
Instakilled killed two wolves at once that way, one time. :p

I'm having the most fun with Aquaria, everything about it just seems so well executed.
The fact that I actually try to avoid killing things, even when it makes the game a little harder says something about the quality of the story.

So does anyone think a port of Penumbra would be possible?

I played it on the PC and it was pretty darn good looking - shader effects, bump mapping, etc - stuff that the Pandora would struggle to achieve, so I'm very skeptical whether or not a feasible Panda port could happen for it, but man would I love for someone to try. I seriously loved that game - it was fantastic, and I can't wait to see what the OS community does with it (like fix/improve the combat).

aesir911 said:
traylorpark said:
A port of Aquaria was exactly the first thought I also had when I saw that game was also going open source. Quite an amazing result!

Pickle... we need your super hero abilities!!!
Haharr! Pickle's powers of preservation are not required. I will use my evil abilities to confuse the game into working on the Pandora!

The art assets of games like Lugaru, Penumbra and Aquaria will stay closed. This means you can only distribute the engine and related parts of the games. Something I already expected from the beginning.

Back