Pc Emulator For Pandora?

javaJake said:
And while you are at it, what about calling Internet Explorer the "Internet", and the computer monitor the "computer"? :D
What? the hard drive? That's this big box where all the cables join up to right?

I hear that one far too often at the computer store I work at. >.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Zarneth said:
javaJake said:
And while you are at it, what about calling Internet Explorer the "Internet", and the computer monitor the "computer"? :D
What? the hard drive? That's this big box where all the cables join up to right?

Oh god. Don't get me started. I tried to explain what a SSD was in a laptop and why it cost to someone non tech savvy the other day. They said it was "Stupid and pointless" :rolleyes: .

Snu said:
at the original question... wow...
if ya want windows so bad, just buy a windows mobile device or something.
and darn it, i hate it when people call 'pc' and 'windows' the same thing.
Claiming Windows mobile is the same as Windows XP is pretty much the same as calling a PC the same as Windows.

The only thing Windows mobile and Windows XP have in common is branding. You cannot run software for one on the other without emulation, and the GUIs are really quite different. Windows mobile does not actually use any "windows".

As to the usefulness of having a Windows XP-compatible environment on the Pandora, I'm not so sure. ReactOS is not an emulator. It just supplies all the libraries and frameworks and whatnot that windows apps need to run properly. Even if the environment is ported to the ARM processor, the apps won't run unless they are re-compiled too.

ReactOS looks like it might turn into a great alternative desktop OS, but it is not going to do much for Pandora.

Chip said:
ReactOS looks like it might turn into a great alternative desktop OS, but it is not going to do much for Pandora.
It would still be pretty cool on there. :p

windows source code? I think there was a story of some of the source was leaked and it's comments are made up of swear words. I haven't started work there so I dont know yet. Ill ask around. ;)

Peter R said:
Oh god. Don't get me started. I tried to explain what a SSD was in a laptop and why it cost to someone non tech savvy the other day. They said it was "Stupid and pointless" :rolleyes: .
Woah, hey. Let's be fair. The current price for an SSD today does NOT match the advantages to the average consumer, you have to agree. If I had never heard of SSDs before and someone tried to sell one to me in the store, I'd think they were probably joking.

Magnulus said:
Peter R said:
Woah, hey. Let's be fair. The current price for an SSD today does NOT match the advantages to the average consumer, you have to agree. If I had never heard of SSDs before and someone tried to sell one to me in the store, I'd think they were probably joking.

No, I didn't try to sell him one. I tried to explain why the raw hardware behind them cost so much compared to a HDD of a much larger size.

Chip said:
Claiming Windows mobile is the same as Windows XP is pretty much the same as calling a PC the same as Windows.

The only thing Windows mobile and Windows XP have in common is branding. You cannot run software for one on the other without emulation, and the GUIs are really quite different. Windows mobile does not actually use any "windows".

i am aware of this, i didnt claim they were the same, that comment was intended to be absolutely dripping with sarcasm.

also, reactos is x86 only, at least for the forseeable future.

Squidge said:
Even if you managed to port Windows, what are you going to run on it? You'd have to port any programs you would want as well. Easier to just either port the programs you want, or use a full PC emulator (which has already been done)
True, but Windows CE 6 runs already on the OMAP chip (i think it has support for the 3x series, but dont hold me to that), So it's not as hopeless as you think. Again it's probably useless and a moot point. I wouldn't want to trash my pandy trying to get windows on it when i could just as easily get my work done in it's current environment.

@ reactOS: it was mentioned that the WINE team and the ReactOS team share development notes often (it was in the wine-hq's weekly mag), they both benefit from each other's work, so I don't doubt that once it hits an everyday usable compatibility (i'm also hoping for DX10 in the far future) that they will become one of the more popular options (if they made DX10, i'd switch over immediately). but since WINE has existed for years, and MS knows about it, I doubt reactOS passed under their radar.

point's kinda mood on XP compat though. again, the app would need to be recompiled for ARM.

Zarneth said:
javaJake said:

I still love the old "my coffee cup holder won't stay out" one. The day I actualy heard that for real and the person being serious I prayed for the day when people would need a license before they could go near a computer

liquidphantom said:
I still love the old "my coffee cup holder won't stay out" one. The day I actualy heard that for real and the person being serious I prayed for the day when people would need a license before they could go near a computer
Hmmm, this is one I have yet to hear. What does coffee cup holder refer to?

Edit: I'm a thread hijacker. :blink:

javaJake said:
liquidphantom said:
Hmmm, this is one I have yet to hear. What does coffee cup holder refer to?

Edit: I'm a thread hijacker. :blink:

Not sure, but if I were to take a guess, it'd be a CD tray...

I had a fun one yesterday where someone in a really panicked state said that there computer had deleted all there email. I got suspicious when they said half there applications disappeared also.

Turned out they were using Remote Desktop the previous day and completely forgot about it :D

Rather than emulation I would make a compatibility layer like wine since the pandora will run Linux, it would make this at least a bit faster if u want 2 run windows apps

RHCA said:
Rather than emulation I would make a compatibility layer like wine since the pandora will run Linux, it would make this at least a bit faster if u want 2 run windows apps
Arrgh, how many people are going to suggest this? >_<

Pandora is not x86. You must emulate. Wine is not available for non-x86 platforms.

RHCA said:
Good luck getting ARM-compiled Windows libraries and programs.

Exophase said:
RHCA said:
Arrgh, how many people are going to suggest this? >_<

Pandora is not x86. You must emulate. Wine is not available for non-x86 platforms.

No worries mate, it's such an easy thing to overlook :lol:. that should probably be your signature line- "For the last time: THE PANDORA IS NOT x86!!!!!"

atomicthumbs said:
Good luck getting ARM-compiled Windows libraries and programs.
My PocketPC runs ARM-compiled Windows libraries and programs :p
;)

Back