PCSX reARMed r8

Yeah, I've found a pretty interesting game called Grandia. Kind of a kid's game, I guess, but I like it.

That is SUCH A GOOD GAME. After playing a load of Final Fantasies and alikes, which for some reason seemed to demand that the protagonist was a teenage b*stard with attitude problems and amnesia and whatever, I found it oh so refreshing with a protagonist that was, like, a kid who discovered the world. With no amnesia, no attitude and no posturing.

In the end, the FFs are probably better games in terms of game balance and design and suchlike, but to be able to play through the game without once wanting to strangle the protagonist scored quite highly with me.

Unfortunately Grandia II (DC, PS2) felt the need to introduce the standard b*stard protagonist, but so far so good :)

Hi

I played those on the PS years ago, couple of nice enjoyable games :)

This emu doesn't support HW acceleration, does it?
Beside SGX and Neon ?

I was referring only to SGX. It doesn't look like SGX HW acceleration is used in the videos I've seen in Youtube. It looks like video is rendered at PSX native resolution without texture filtering. If that's the case, I suppose using SGX would allow full 800x480 rendering resolution with bilinear texture filtering and maybe some antialias. And what is even more important: a speed boost.

Yeah, I've found a pretty interesting game called Grandia. Kind of a kid's game, I guess, but I like it. Only problem is that when any voice acting occurs the text and voice audio gets terribly out of sync. It'll play voice clips way ahead of the text, stop suddenly, then repeats from the point where the text is, get scrambled for a quarter of a second then keep goimg way ahead of the text, and repeats.

Real BIOS, 800MHz (runs fine at 750 though. Maybe even 700, but I haven't tried). Default settings everywhere else.

I'v had the same problem on my lap top emulating this game, and I don't believe it is anything other than a common failing of the emulators. This after all was a really bad port of the jap. sega saturn game which had much better graphics. I also have tried it on the pandora and it still has the exact same problem.

The game though, in my opinion a much more strategic and entertaining combat system. You can try to stun lock monster/bosses attack, or power up for nasty spells. predicting where your opponents will be when you special attacks go off, is also an important part of combat.

I will tell you this if your not prepared the final boss can be quite a challange, getting to him is not to hard, but he can cream a poorly stocked party. And the bad part is you can leave once you get to him. so keep some older saves. Or if you like me (when I was a teen) get stuck on the final boss.

I was referring only to SGX. It doesn't look like SGX HW acceleration is used in the videos I've seen in Youtube. It looks like video is rendered at PSX native resolution without texture filtering. If that's the case, I suppose using SGX would allow full 800x480 rendering resolution with bilinear texture filtering and maybe some antialias. And what is even more important: a speed boost.
For output you have a choice between 2 differents GLES plugins (using the SGX). This is using Neon too...

For output you have a choice between 2 differents GLES plugins (using the SGX). This is using Neon too...

Hum, I think it's time to test this emulator and Tekken 3.

TOMBRAIDER.ccd 11.3 kB

TOMBRAIDER.img 584.0 MB

TOMBRAIDER.sub 23.8 MB

The audio tracks should be there, as music plays fine on the title screen and while "loading", and as I said the game plays fine on Windows emulators. I've tried several versions, and this is the only one that plays in other emulators without issues. The intro movie is silent, however - but has music/fx under EPSXE and PSXfin.

Had the same problem and was confused too by the music playing. This game must be in BIN/CUE format and will work after that. same for all other TR games
I guess .ccd/.img handling issue then. Any way to make such dumps under Linux?

It seems that the only program that creates these kind of dumps is CloneCD itself. There are a number of other programs that read them (for example, ccd2iso for Linux), but I have not found any that create them.

Also, since CloneCD relies on its own device driver to interface with the optical drive, I am pretty confident that there is no reasonable way to get it working under Wine.

Hum, I think it's time to test this emulator and Tekken 3.
Works great completed it with 4 characters so far,

easier than I remember.

Ahoi. I recently received my Pandora and am now pfutzing around with it with much glee. Yes, GLEE!

But now to my question: I want to play Gran Tourismo 2 (PAL Version) on PCSX-Rearmed R8.

It runs and is "playable" aside from some crashes. The only problem I have is performance.

Even with CPU boosted to 900MHz I get intermittent drops in frame-rate below 15-20FPS.

It never goes above 26FPS, I assume thats the frame limiter doing its job.

In any other gametype a drop to 15fps might be ok, but in racing-games it totally destroys any "flow" you might(!) have.

Is there any way to improve performance further? I disabled CD-Audio, tried the two working GPU plugins and switched between HLE and 2 other (PAL-)BIOSes.

(1002 and 5502)

I do not see much improvement with any of it.

[edit] sorry for gravedigging, I just thought there does not need to be a new thread about this [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowering the CPU-speed somehow increases the FPS-drops and raises the CPU-load to a near constant 100%. I WONDER why that is... <_<

Are you trying to tell me that the developer has compiled this emulater without using the headers for the NEON unit and I should rewrite it? Or what?

No, without NEON you would be able to overclock a bit more, but it would be even slower at that higher clock and in general. The problem is slow rendering code, you might want to try pcsx4all graphics plugin, if that doesn't help wait for future versions that will hopefully improve this.

So, looking at the speed its a problem of the std - gfx plugin? That means it is not written the best way or does it mean it is slow because it renders in a higher definition than the pcsx4all plugin?

In general, how near to the end of affordable optimisation are PCSXReARMed and Mupen64?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, without NEON you would be able to overclock a bit more, but it would be even slower at that higher clock and in general. The problem is slow rendering code, you might want to try pcsx4all graphics plugin, if that doesn't help wait for future versions that will hopefully improve this.

As I wrote in my first post, I tried both usable plugins. I even tried the OpenGLES plugin, but while it looks much nicer(ingame, Menus are f**ked up, it runs at ~1FPS at best.

I think the pcsx4all plugin was marginally better (maybe 1-2 fps) but that is just a gut-feeling.

If I remember correctly, GT2 came out very late in the life of the PS1, so maybe they squeezed the absolute maximum from the machine, which the Pandora cannot deliver. Or maybe its just badly programmed ;)

As I wrote in my first post, I tried both usable plugins. I even tried the OpenGLES plugin, but while it looks much nicer(ingame, Menus are f**ked up, it runs at ~1FPS at best.

I think the pcsx4all plugin was marginally better (maybe 1-2 fps) but that is just a gut-feeling.

If I remember correctly, GT2 came out very late in the life of the PS1, so maybe they squeezed the absolute maximum from the machine, which the Pandora cannot deliver. Or maybe its just badly programmed ;)

It's a huge shame that the OpenGLES plugin is currently useless (at least in terms of running anything at a playable speed) as everything looks a hell of a lot better with it, would utilisation of the DSP yield a significant performance boost here?

Is the DSP some kind of wizard that helps in every kind of problem? Can it repair my digicam as well?

Back