Pcsx Rearmed

rohezal

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

the PSX rearmed project of the pandora looked very promising. Its using the neon command pretty often but the recompiler was pretty well written I think. Is there a port for the Caanoo or is someone going to port it?

If not, how does it "feel" to play PSX games on the Caanoo with PSX 4 ALL? I have my old Tekken 3 and maybe I want to play it again^^. Someone tried the Tekken games on the Caanoo?

there are 2 psx emu for caanoo:
PSX4ALL
and
PCSX4ALL

Pcsxrearmed it's another project..

i try to emulate Tekken3 on caanoo, but i feel 60% speed of the original game..
unplayable :/

2 PSX emus for the caanoo? Aren't the two you listed the same?

Zip said:
there are 2 psx emu for caanoo:
PSX4ALL
and
PCSX4ALL

Pcsxrearmed it's another project..

i try to emulate Tekken3 on caanoo, but i feel 60% speed of the original game..
unplayable :/

Last edited by a moderator:
stpat said:
There is 2 PSX emulator for caanoo.
PSX4ALL is an old and close-source emulator by zodttd. You just dont want to use it.
PCSX4ALL is a (fairly) new and caanoo optimized psx emulator. You definatly want this one ;)

EDIT: note the 'C' in the second name

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

In reading forums I noticed sometimes there was a 'C' in it, other times not, but I thought it was just a typo and people were using the two names interchangably... :)

sebt3 said:
stpat said:
There is 2 PSX emulator for caanoo.
PSX4ALL is an old and close-source emulator by zodttd. You just dont want to use it.
PCSX4ALL is a (fairly) new and caanoo optimized psx emulator. You definatly want this one ;)

EDIT: note the 'C' in the second name

eh, but the psx rearmed, the one from notaz, can't it be ported on caanoo?
:)

kayuz said:
eh, but the psx rearmed, the one from notaz, can't it be ported on caanoo?
Well it would be an hardcore job as many thing are neon optimized (the neon is a chip the caanoo dont have). You would endup with something close enough to pcsx4all that it definatly dont worth the shoot. Also I think there is a relativly close collaboration between the 2 team ;)

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r10_caanoo.zip

nothing too exciting here though, it performs rather poorly on the Caanoo, I can guess because of cache misses or something. Also having to remove all NEON didn't't help of course.

So what is PCSX reARMed, compared to PCSX4ALL?

• base code: PCSX reloaded (same)
  • GPU code: una-i based with Franxis tweaks (same), also has an option of PEOPS (aka Pete's, slow)
  • dynarec: completely different one by Ari64, I consider it more advanced than Chui's but it was optimized for CortexA8 and multiple paths it makes for various cases might be blowing icache faster.
  • GTE: different, NEON removed, a bit of asm left, PCSX4ALL does better job here
  • SPU: PEOPS-based (different), heavily optimized by me

How it performs compared to PCSX4ALL largely depends on game, but multiple options are always a good thing I guess..

notaz said:

nothing too exciting here though, it performs rather poorly on the Caanoo, I can guess because of cache misses or something. Also having to remove all NEON didn't't help of course.

• GPU code: una-i based with Franxis tweaks (same), also has an option of PEOPS (aka Pete's, slow)
  • dynarec: completely different one by Ari64, I consider it more advanced than Chui's but it was optimized for CortexA8 and multiple paths it makes for various cases might be blowing icache faster.
  • GTE: different, NEON removed, a bit of asm left, PCSX4ALL does better job here

How it performs compared to PCSX4ALL largely depends on game, but multiple options are always a good thing I guess..
This is a awesome relase it runs very very good. I am able to play Castlevania SOTN at full speed when overclocked to 780. Simply amazing. It does seem to have a issue with screen size though. Cant wait to get home and see if tv out works so I can do a video

notaz said:

Oh wow! I'll definitely try this when I get home from work.

Thank you for this great release. Ordered a caanoo yesterday. Cant wait until it arrives :).

The Caanoo has no level 2 cache, what makes N64 impossible (at least what I read from Ari and co). Do you think the PS1 can be handled anyway with full speed of further optimasation were made?

Wow, I'm impressed, the PCSX reARMed is actually better than pcsx4all for some games. But besides that, you have a whole lot more features, which, in my opinion, actually makes it easier to use, because you can pause the game at any time and it will work just fine afterwars. You can even redefine the controls, which can actually make games, like Medal of Honor properly playable, since you could only aim with either the second analog stick, or the R2 button, which the caanoo doesn't have ( on pcsx4all it would be 1+l which is actually extremely hard to use ).

To be honest, I'm more interested in PCSX reARMed over pcsx4all now, because it has far more potential than the old emulator in my opinion.
It does have a few problems though, like sometimes the screen gets streched out horisontally for whatever reason, and the framerate isn't always that good.
But hopefully a new release will arrive, and it will fix these problems.

OG GOD!!1 notaz<!! :D :D
i don't see that! OWOWOOWOWOWOQWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!! :D :D
I'm very happy! YAYAYA! :D
i love you!!

I'm also very impressed. The couple of games I've tried so far all run better than on pscx4all. Like Hot Shots Golf 2, Rage Racer (gfx probs in menus though). And also Resident Evil 1 and Metal Gear Solid works (doesnt on pscx4all) and seems to run very well. Great job!

rohezal said:
The Caanoo has no level 2 cache, what makes N64 impossible (at least what I read from Ari and co). Do you think the PS1 can be handled anyway with full speed of further optimasation were made?
It all depends on the game in question, a subset of games can reach fullspeed, but I don't think you can have that for all game library, or (I think) larger part of that library even. This is regardless if your definition of fullspeed allows frameskip or not (and I don't consider emulation of underclocked PSX fullspeed, even when it allows emulator to keep up).

CloverGruff said:
To be honest, I'm more interested in PCSX reARMed over pcsx4all now, because it has far more potential than the old emulator in my opinion.
It does have a few problems though, like sometimes the screen gets streched out horisontally for whatever reason, and the framerate isn't always that good.
That's why I said it performs poorly in the release post.

About stretching, if you see that it means the game itself is running at higher resolution, and as those games usually run slow anyway, I haven't implemented any scaling.

notaz said:
CloverGruff said:
That's why I said it performs poorly in the release post.

About stretching, if you see that it means the game itself is running at higher resolution, and as those games usually run slow anyway, I haven't implemented any scaling.
Will be waiting for that feature in the next release then!
I actually found that some of those games with larger resolutions work quite well. Spyro 2, for example, works really well, but the screen is streched, same with Tekken 1, which seemed to work full speed actually.

Anyway, I also tried a few other games. Pandemonium works really nicely, and Rayman 2 is far more playable on this emulator. I also managed to get Tomb Raider 4 to work ( Chronicles probably works too, since they both use pretty much the same engine ), although it's a bit too slow. I couldnt get the first Tomb Riader to work in my life - still crashes after starting a new game ( training wouldn't work, too ). Actually a lot of pcsx4all incompatible games work here, like Croc 2, but it also has the streched screen problem (grr!).

Edit:

Just tried Tomb Raider 3 - It actually works. It's quite playable, but a bit choppy.

Back