Pcsx4All Caanoo Beta Testing Results

Firmware: 1.5.0
Build: 18.12.2010

Vagrant Story

Clock: 750Mhz
Ram Tweaks: ON
Frame-Limit: OFF
frame-skip: 0 (video)
Interlace: Progressive (Made a bit of a speed increase at progressive)
Sound: on (XA+CD-Audio)
CPU clock: 100%
CPU Bias: 4 (Seemed to be the fastest)
CPU Core: HLE
CPU Type: PAL

Frames per second: About 30/60 in game.
- Intro runs very smooth and looks great.
- In game cut scenes run pretty slow...some are near impossible to watch.
- In game is pretty slow, playable but not to fun at this speed.
- NOTE: You must skip the intro at beginning, if you wait it out, you will not be able to start a new game.
- NOTE: You cannot see the beginning options, you just have to press down and get lucky on clicking new game.

Verdict:
If you can get past the messed up starting screen, you have nearly playable game. It's running about half speed, so it's no where near perfect, but just like I said about Castlevania. With a few more performance updates this game could be definitely playable.

SIMCITY 2000

- I tried pretty much every setting I could think of with no success to even get the slightest noise or GUI to appear. A black screen was there and nothing else. I tried BIOS, HLE, HLE Secure and both interpreters. I tried the interlacing, ram tweaks on and off, and several BIAS options.

Verdict:
Unless a good fix is found to this one in a new update...we won't be playing it anytime soon.

I was trying to test Street Fighter Alpha 3, but it wont' go any further after trying to check for the memory card. I don't know if it does that because there is not a normal memory card for it to check, but if there is a work around for games like that I would be very grateful to know how.

Note: best settings

Pandemonium 2
REGION:pal

Clock: 700Mhz
Ram Tweaks: OFF
frame-skip: 2 ideo
Interlace: OFF (Not sure what this setting does exactly)
Cpu clock: 100%
Cpu Bias: AUTO
Cpu Core: BIOS ( Other Seetings doesnt work,critical Texture errors appear if using HLE)
Cpu Type: Auto

If using Bios as Core textures fine but too slowly to play.
Ive tried many diffrent Settings but nothing else work better then the one below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bomberman
Region:pal

Clock: 700Mhz (800 works a little bit faster)
frame-skip: 2 video
Cpu Bias: AUTO (4 just as auto setting)
Cpu Core: HLE (surely the fastest)

Just works fine nothing else to say.
100 % playable
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Bandicoot 3
Region: pal

Clock: 800Mhz (its not able to turn the clock higher)
frame-skip: 2 video
Cpu Bias: AUTO
Cpu Core: HLE (if using other core it turns into sloooooooow motion)

not playable much to slow, tried with so much diffrent settings but nothing helped.

Medal of Honor

Clock: 750Mhz
frame-skip: 0 (game)
Interlace: OFF
CPU clock: 100%
CPU Bias: 4 or 5 (5 was better in game play, but was still a little to fast for some dialogue that you listen to about missions)
CPU Core: BIOS
CPU Type: NTSC

Frames per second: The fps is this game was extremely dynamic, it changed constantly. I could never get a good constant reading.
- Game ran pretty good
- It did have a lot of flashing blackness, was like textures were missing or misplaced
- Ran pretty good until a little bit in, the textures were completely gone for the map, and proceeding was impossible

Verdict:
Even though this game ran pretty slow, it was obvious to me from the start that it had much more potential then I figured it would. It's not a bad looking game, and I figured on the caanoo it would fall very short, but to my surprise it was close to playable. A bit more performance and the textures fixed will make this game playable.

FRANXIS said:

-Try setting BIAS to 3. With BIAS 4 you get deceptive framerate results. As said previously, BIAS 4 equals to a halved PSX CPU. Using BIAS 4 (or more) is only useful in very simple 2D games with low impact on PSX CPU.

-I´ve made some changes in the GPU code to skip redundant lightning processing and it improved speed. Also, options to avoid lightning+blending in the front-end. Wait for the next beta ;)

-MDK will work in next beta. I´ve fixed the problem

Joy! :D

Khan said:
FRANXIS said:

-Try setting BIAS to 3. With BIAS 4 you get deceptive framerate results. As said previously, BIAS 4 equals to a halved PSX CPU. Using BIAS 4 (or more) is only useful in very simple 2D games with low impact on PSX CPU.

-I´ve made some changes in the GPU code to skip redundant lightning processing and it improved speed. Also, options to avoid lightning+blending in the front-end. Wait for the next beta ;)

-MDK will work in next beta. I´ve fixed the problem

Joy! :D

Great, the game has great speed right now, it could be playable, if it is possible to achieve the same speed without the graphical glitches :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice - capabilities to reduce lighting and blending - that would really help to kick the FPS down a bit. I think I might just have to try purchasing some PSX games to try out. Anyway...

With new 12/11/10 Beta Release

Tomba
Wiz Clock: 800
Auto BIAS
No frameskip
Sound On (XA+CD)
----------------

Runs well on menus. Gets around 40 / 60 FPS on videos (good), and around 21 / 60 or so in-game (not really playable... With frame-skip, I suppose it is). Freezes on trying to save to memory card; also freezes partially through first area (before you get to the house where the fog is). However, I was able to back out to the emulator menu, so I'm not quite sure if it was really frozen.

Wild Arms 2 Demo
Same settings as Tomba -
Wiz Clock: 800
Frame-skip: 0
Sound On (XA+CD)
----------------

Lags on title screen menu a bit, but in-game's much better. 15 to 17 / 30 (good) in-game on larger scenes, and fullspeed on simple scenes, like small or 2D rooms (great). So, the FPS generally stays around 22 FPS in-game. Around 17 / 20 in battle scenes, though this obviously depends on the number, size, and complexity of each enemy encountered. This runs quite well.
Found some very minor graphical glitches if you stand in a certain position in one of the rooms of the ruins.

P.S. Do you think auto frame-skip will be implemented anytime soon?
P.P.S. What does Auto-save do?

Tested on firmware 1.06
12/18 beta version

Final Fantasy VIII Disc 1

clock; 750mhz
Ram Tweaks; off
Frame-Limit Off
frame-skip; 0 game
Interlace; off
Sound; (xa + cs audio)
Cpu clock; 100%
Cpu Bias; 4
Cpu Core; HLE secure (this is the only one I tried, didnt try others due to not being able to save before battle)
Cpu Type; auto

Out of battle works at a decent speed (45-50/60 frames)
Sound good! it skips and crackles sometimes but very little
Game crashes when entering a battle, memory cards aren't recognized when trying to save a game.. having working savestates would help greatly with testing as I have to restart the game and replay through the looong intro scenes before I get to test a battle.

ruffnutts said:
Is it me or as Pcsx4All been leaked as theres a download on the caanoo archive site???

Yeah someone leaked it. lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
well shouldn't be too difficult to find out who leaked it, because of it's russian description on the top of the page http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,608

You never know maybe a christmas public release soon anyway - but still we dont want to lose this, loving this emulator right now,
Thanks to there hardwork of Franxis and Chui, Khan of the spanish community ;)

BTW - I was getting carried away earlier on Tempest x3 - runs very well, great game post results later ;)

Yes I agree to ruffnutts, many thanks to Franxis,Chui and Khan for their hard work

merry christmas to all

;)

Dragon

Pcsx4All Build 18/12/10 Firmware 1.5.0

Tekken Pal
Format .img .ccd .sub
Caanoo Clock 800Mhz
CPU Bias 7
CPU Core Bios
Rest of Settings Default
FPS = 20/16
Compatible, playable a tad slow.. intro great and menus, Bias 7 because the speach is better FIGHT! lol

Tempest X3 NTSC
Format .img .sub. ccd
Caanoo Clock 750Mhz
Frame Skip 0
Sound On (XA)
CPU Bias 7
CPU Core Bios
Rest Default settings
FPS = 44/60 in menus 56/60
Compatible,playable... Plays great - takes a while to start, but once it does all fun breaks loose lol
Sound slow down when On the playing grid, but off it speeds up again settings above was the best I think ;)
The original game you choose is well fast... recommed to try this game...

Bust A Move 2 PAL
Format iso
Caanoo Clock 700Mhz
RAM Tweaks OFF
Frame-Limit OFF
Frame Skip 0 (Video)
Interlace OFF
Sound OFF
CPU Clock 100%
CPU Bias 4
CPU Core HLE
CPU Type Auto
Auto-Save OFF
No Game Fixes
FPS = 45/50
Compatible,playable. Gamespeed is good, but sound is not working 100%. I just heared some short samples every few seconds.

Bust A Move 4 PAL
Format iso
Caanoo Clock 800Mhz
RAM Tweaks ON
Frame-Limit OFF
Frame Skip 2 (Video)
Interlace OFF
Sound On (XA+CD-Audio)
CPU Clock 100%
CPU Bias 4
CPU Core HLE
CPU Type Auto
Auto-Save OFF
No Game Fixes
FPS = 12/20
Compatible,playable but slow. Feels like 50% of original gamespeed. Sound lags a bit, too.

KISS Pinball PAL
Format bin
Caanoo Clock 700Mhz
RAM Tweaks OFF
Frame-Limit OFF
Frame Skip 0 (Video)
Interlace OFF
Sound On (XA+CD-Audio)
CPU Clock 100%
CPU Bias 4
CPU Core HLE
CPU Type Auto
Auto-Save OFF
No Game Fixes
FPS = 39-44/50 during gameplay
Compatible, very playable.

Worms World Party PAL
Format img
Caanoo Clock 750Mhz
RAM Tweaks OFF
Frame-Limit OFF
Frame Skip 0 (Video)
Interlace OFF
Sound On (XA+CD-Audio)
CPU Clock 100%
CPU Bias 6
CPU Core HLE
CPU Type Auto
Auto-Save OFF
No Game Fixes
FPS = 38/50
Compatible,playable. The menutext is hard to read because of its small font. Soundeffects are a bit slow.

Back