Pcsx4All Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
I'm making this topic to publicly request a link to Pcsx4all's source code. In case it isn't clear, the GPL requires the following (quoted by Wikipedia):

"The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries are accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary or the written offer to obtain the source code that you got when you received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL."

Which I can't find in the readme.

Offer of availability in corresponding documentation aside, I couldn't find the source available on either Franxis's or Chui's websites. If it's there and I'm not seeing it could someone tell me where? Otherwise, I hope it will be posted, with a link given in the readme.

Franxis and Chui are working continuosly and is possible that they will release the source code when they will have a better emulator.

Exophase, they are good people. If you want to improve the emulator, send a PM. This is a open community and isn't necessary that you write the license to force them.

Nintiendo1Spain said:
Franxis and Chui are working continuosly and is possible that they will release the source code when they will have a better emulator.

Exophase, they are good people. If you want to improve the emulator, send a PM. This is a open community and isn't necessary that you write the license to force them.

That does not matter, the source has to be made available now.

(I know this all too well after me and Ed had legal threats about the GP2X)

Last edited by a moderator:
BlackPowderDoc said:
Does that mean you're about to try to recompile this to work for the Caanoo? :D

No, I don't think that's the reason for this thread...

craigix said:
Nintiendo1Spain said:

I'm wondering if there simply needs to be more public awareness that when you release binaries of GPL software, you need to provide a means for people to obtain the source code for every release you make (even so called "test" or "beta" releases).

Could something simple be added to the app store or file archive that requests that you include a source package or link to source for any GPL software that you upload? Maybe also a license field for the particular piece of software?

For example looking at the GP2X archive, there are many examples of software in which the binary releases are newer than the source packages: pocketsnes (where is the source for v7.0?) and picodrive to name just a few.

I think it discourages developers from wanting to improve software or learn from others changes when they have to make repeated requests for people to release source code.

I'm waiting the source code of PSX4ALL (Pandora) of ZodTTD...

It's amazing what people do to favor their console... and even they call them the saviors of scene... :huh:

EDIT: And don't worry, Franxis will port PCSX and MAME to CAANOO

Sphinxter said:
What's all this then.
http://github.com/zodttd/psx4all

This version isn't the latest version (which have a lot of improvements)

pder said:
craigix said:
Nintiendo1Spain said:

I'm wondering if there simply needs to be more public awareness that when you release binaries of GPL software, you need to provide a means for people to obtain the source code for every release you make (even so called "test" or "beta" releases).

Could something simple be added to the app store or file archive that requests that you include a source package or link to source for any GPL software that you upload? Maybe also a license field for the particular piece of software?

For example looking at the GP2X archive, there are many examples of software in which the binary releases are newer than the source packages: pocketsnes (where is the source for v7.0?) and picodrive to name just a few.

I think it discourages developers from wanting to improve software or learn from others changes when they have to make repeated requests for people to release source code.

I have no doubt that Franxis will release the source code and don't need any private coaching about the GPL:

Link

I know im not the best i this area (im trying to improve and I will provide anything requested), but we should see sources for anything released in binary form.
I also support giving people time to cleanup and improve source before rushing it out, as ive requested to do this with some of my projects.

I dont think this is a pandora vs. caanoo, knowing Exophase he probably just want to look through the source since its a new take on psx emulation. Where psx4all doesnt appear to changed much in terms of emulation. It also might be Exo knows zod on a personal level and can go straight to him for the source.

The purpose of this thread is that I want to see the source. I don't personally care if the GPL is violated here or not, that's someone else's legal problem, but if I can bring up the GPL to increase the chances of getting the source then that's what I'll do.

Nintiendo1Spain said:

I don't want to improve the emulator, I'm just curious about it's implementation. I could have asked privately, but then maybe only I would get the source. It seems more useful if other people could get it too. Whether or not they're good people is really of little concern to me.

I did say I don't personally care if the GPL is followed, but I also have to admit I find it distasteful that so many people have been ragging on zodttd for violating GPL when he has at least included source (for some version anyway, even if it's old), while for Pcsx4all apparently it has been determined that just including gpl.txt is sufficient compliance.

Nintiendo1Spain said:

It's amazing what people do to favor their console... and even they call them the saviors of scene... :huh:

No one cares about your beef with Zod or anyone else, the fact is that the source has to be released by Franxis NOW.

What other people have done/do makes no difference, and what are you going on about MAME and the Caanoo for? Do you actually understand the GPL?

Sphinxter said:
What's all this then.
http://github.com/zodttd/psx4all

A very outdated repository maintained by someone who ignores source requests.

Exophase said:
The purpose of this thread is that I want to see the source. I don't personally care if the GPL is violated here or not, that's someone else's legal problem, but if I can bring up the GPL to increase the chances of getting the source then that's what I'll do.

I'm pretty sure they will send you the source code if you ask for it. I could be wrong but this possibility seems covered by the "written offer" clause on the GPL license, doesn't it?. And if you just want easy access to the source code (regardless of whether it's GPL compliant or not, which it is), don't worry because I'm also pretty sure I read they were working on it :) I don't know if they meant something like git or a plain tar file, but it will happen.

I'm pretty sure they will send you the source code if you ask for it.

But that would be to easy for some people here. Better point with the finger to someone, start a threat of coercion and risk another flame war...

They have to include a written offer, I guess my wikipedia paste wasn't very clear.

This is a pretty simple thread with a pretty obvious and straightforward purpose. The one turning into a flame war are all of you people who are bringing up psx4all and talking about waving fingers and coercion and "they're good people how dare you" and whatever other bullshit you can conjure up. Talk about hypocritical. I don't know what happened to you in particular sbock - oh wait, you have me on ignore, don't you.

craigix said:
Nintiendo1Spain said:

No one cares about your beef with Zod or anyone else, the fact is that the source has to be released by Franxis NOW.

What other people have done/do makes no difference, and what are you going on about MAME and the Caanoo for? Do you actually understand the GPL?

Here is the source my friend.

pder said:
craigix said:
Nintiendo1Spain said:

Well, that's all in there.
You can post a sourcecode link at the File Archive (and Appstore), you can select licenses or post your own, and when you upload a file to the file archive, the following text shows up:

Code:
If you ported a game or an application, be sure to check out the license first before uploading!
Make sure you include everything needed (copyright information, License, link to sourcecode, etc.) within the file before releasing it to the public!

Also make sure that NO game or application (ported or written by yourself) infringe any existing copyrights and that you have ALL THE LEGAL RIGHTS to distribute the program!

So that's already there :)

While I'm all for GPL and source code release, I'm against threats, etc. unless the person really does NOT want to release the sourcecode.

Give the devs time to clean up the source a bit, then release it, no problem with me. I know it's against the GPL, but I just try to think in a human way :)

Last edited:
By "threats" you mean you're against anyone publicly asking for it right? I don't see where the threats are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back