Petition to Stop the "Kill the Gays" Law in Uganda

Murder is murder, regardless of legality, illegal occupation status etc. I signed and posted to facebook (for what its worth, Pandorians have hope in spades right? Some petitions have altered things with enough international outcry though).

It seems way more anti-democracy smokescreen orientated than any real religious issue. I just hope they don't have ID cards that specify sexual orientation, like the Rwandans did with race, as that led to a massacre of extreme efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QZXWrlqAxGU?feature=oembed

A petition from people not of the country the law is being considered, with absolutely no power in the countries they actually are from. That'll do a lot. I'll also change the colour of my twitter feed to purple, that'll guarantee things change for the better. :(

Sorry, feeling very cynical this evening.
*sidesteps flamewar*

+1 I agree WizardStan. I like helping people out as much as the next person, but this won't do anything. Online petitions aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Slacktivism FTW!

Sorry, I didn't intend to make a thread for a big debate! You either sign the petition or you don't. Oh, and I love my boyfriend very, very much - in my opinion, we go together a lot better than a lot of couples! ^w^

Sorry, I didn't intend to make a thread for a big debate! You either sign the petition or you don't. Oh, and I love my boyfriend very, very much - in my opinion, we go together a lot better than a lot of couples! ^w^

I'm sorry, but... what what does that have to do with the topic?

By the way, I've never noticed you on here, but I like your profile's avatar and background.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but... what what does that have to do with the topic?
The discussion is about gays, and I wanted to point out that my gay relationship is very, very good! =3

By the way, I've never noticed you on here, but I like your profile's avatar and background.
Thanks! ^w^

Funny that, I had meant to mention avaaz in my post, as they've had a number of petitions make a change when the numbers are high enough. Good riddance to the death of this bill for now.

@Sony, if you think that homosexuality is something you choose to live with, you probably are pretty narrow minded. Or listen too much to religious people.

With all due respect, that's not true at all. I believe that the urges could possibly come about naturally (or just by social conditioning) but even if that is so, the choice to act on them is a completely different thing. Does that make me narrow-minded, or does it just make me a guy with a different opinion, and -you- are the narrow-minded one? Sorry, but the "You don't agree with me, so you're narrow/closed-minded" mindset is such a pet peeve for me. I don't make it my business what goes on in other people's bedrooms-- it is my opinion people who do don't have enough going on in their own-- but I refuse to be labelled as "narrow-minded" just because I hold a different set of morals than yourself. It's becoming a disease. You seem to actually believe you are a better human being than someone else just because you think differently than they do.

"Religious people" aren't all that bad, you know. I got somewhat angry when I read that sort of talk here, in this community; hostility toward all religious people indiscriminately is for mindless trolls on YouTube and the occasional Richard Dawkins circlejerk convention. Not all of us are those idiots with the "God Hates Fags" picket signs. Not all of us are playing God, standing on soapboxes and damning everyone to Hell. As an example, I believe that homosexual acts are sinful, just as I believe sex outside of a committed relationship ("marriage" has changed too much and is too government-centred to be valid today) is sinful. So is lying to your parents, or anyone for that matter. So is gluttony. So is sloth. So is pretty much everything else that makes us human-- and that's why we have someone to save us from it all. If humans were without sin, we wouldn't need a saviour-- and that's all I have to say about that.

My non-cynical action of the day: I just signed the petition. It might not do any good, but there's always hope. If not, I suggest we stage a hostile government takeover. I'm not kidding. Discrimination like this in the modern age is inexcusable. The WBC must be having a field day.

Great post Aqua, I couldn't agree more with everything therein.

Not a great post Agua IMHO. Re: "Richard Dawkins 'circle jerk'". Let me ask a question: Which is more of a 'circle jerk': Scientists discussing reality or the religious discussing myths/an-old-book/call-it-what-you-want?

I'm sorry to say you are [most-likely] a brainwashed person. It's sad that you were [probably] not given the opportunity to think for youself (I'm guessing your parents were/are religious).

I know your not going to change your mind, as from experience with discussions like this you tend to get angry and I can understand that. In fact I wouldn't want to derail you from your believe system as it can have dire consequences for somebody who has based their lives on such things*

All I ask is that you don't even SAY things like homosexuality is sinful...especially if you have/ever-have children. THAT would pyscological abuse...just as bringing children up to live by any false believe system.

I have children and I wouldn't dream of telling them WHAT to think. Simple/golden rule is: Do unto others as you would have them do to you. You really need very few other rules in life.

I do try and inform my kids HOW to think - Use logic, don't take things on face value, and most importantly THINK.

* this happened to a religious housemate of mine at university, after a long discussion where I pointed out the many flaws in his believe system - he essentially went crazy and had to leave university...I still feel guilty about that (see: an athiest who has morals - who'da thunk it?)

I hate when people with religious beliefs are condescended to, as if they are suffering from some sort of mental deficiency or some athiestic people are somehow superior due to their power to insult.

Don't get me wrong, there are stupid religious people, just like there are stupid athiests.

Both sides have their own asses. Let's end this conversation now. Enough inflammatory nonsense.

Looks like the petition participated into making this government think twice.

I really hope this kind of law never happen anywhere.

Edit : Irrelevant off topic comment
tongue.gif

If you want to discuss calmly about the sensible subject of atheism and believing, please, open another topic, but keep this one "clean", thanks.
wink.gif

Let me ask a question: Which is more of a 'circle jerk': Scientists discussing reality or the religious discussing myths/an-old-book/call-it-what-you-want?
Neither. The fact that people like yourself are so pompous that you call it "reality" and putting down other persons' belief systems as based on "an old book" is the attitude I refer to as the circle-jerk mentality.Socrates and/or Plato and/or whoever-recorded-them wrote "an old book," and it is still widely taught in psychology classes today.

I'm sorry to say you are [most-likely] a brainwashed person. It's sad that you were [probably] not given the opportunity to think for youself (I'm guessing your parents were/are religious).
For your information I was not brought up in a particularly religious household. I acquired my faith, the true version, only a few short years ago and I have been through some rough times with it, but all the best things in life are a roller coaster (faith, love, amusement park rides, etc).

I know your not going to change your mind, as from experience with discussions like this you tend to get angry and I can understand that. In fact I wouldn't want to derail you from your believe system as it can have dire consequences for somebody who has based their lives on such things*
Please. The only thing that is making me angry is you talking down to me like I am an inferior human being. I've been to philosophy class; I've debated with myself and others. What I believe is what I believe; why would you care anyway? This is what I am talking about with the circle-jerking. Unlike yours, my faith requires me to try to spread Christ's love to others. I try to do so as well as I can. However, what does your faith (and yes, it is one) reward you for denouncing the evils of faith in God?

All I ask is that you don't even SAY things like homosexuality is sinful...especially if you have/ever-have children. THAT would pyscological abuse...just as bringing children up to live by any false believe system.
I will teach my children what I want. You will teach your children what you want. As a rule, in later life, mine will turn out atheist and yours chock full o' faith. Blame it upon the rebellious nature of today's generations. Homosexual acts are a sin. Homosexual feelings are not. We are taught, however, that it doesn't matter, because Christ died for all of our sins. That goes for homosexuality, sexual promiscuity, rape, murder, substance abuse (abuse, not use), armed robbery, public urination, and stealing cookies from the cookie jar. We are human; God realised this, and sent someone to fix it. That's what I believe. Please don't call it false without supporting evidence. You're doing that pompous, circle-jerking thing again.

I have children and I wouldn't dream of telling them WHAT to think. Simple/golden rule is: Do unto others as you would have them do to you. You really need very few other rules in life.
You wouldn't be plagiarising the Catholic Church there, would you? Why not give credit where credit is due? Anyway, you can't tell kids how to think. It's the one thing you cannot do. They will do what they want, given the time. The best thing I can do is teach them the basics and they will find what they believe on their own.

I do try and inform my kids HOW to think - Use logic, don't take things on face value, and most importantly THINK.
I challenge you to take your kids to a church (preferably an Assembly of God, but I'm not picky; any house of faith will do), without telling them what to think first or after. Without giving them a diatribe on why it is all a made-up story, let them decide what they believe for themselves. I bet you can't do it-- because you are just as closed-minded as the fundies.

Thank you for the entertainment and God bless. If you'd like some further conversation (I would be delighted), kindly stop derailing this thread and PM me, for Science's sake (see what I did there?).

Let's end this conversation now. Enough inflammatory nonsense.

If you want to discuss calmly about the sensible subject of atheism and believing, please, open another topic, but keep this one "clean", thanks.
wink.gif

I sincerely apologise, but not replying to that would have required either superhuman willpower or subhuman cowardice; I'm not sure which. If it goes further I suppose it could either be spliced, or I could open up a new topic. Ideally it's only PMs from now on, though.

On-topic: could it not be over yet? I got an e-mail from that site just now saying it's still in danger of being passed...

[…]

On-topic: could it not be over yet? I got an e-mail from that site just now saying it's still in danger of being passed...

Yes, that's what I understood reading the article from the link freamon posted.

They only stopped the governmental debate about it for an undetermined period. (that's how I've interpreted the article)

So it seems we still have to protest against that inhumane law.

[…]

Yes, that's what I understood reading the article from the link freamon posted.

They only stopped the governmental debate about it for an undetermined period. (that's how I've interpreted the article)

So it seems we still have to protest against that inhumane law.

It seems likely that they'll wait for public outcry to die down, then pass the law quietly after a few months. Pretty bad...

Back