Picodrive 0.96

NightShadow posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:28 PM said:
Great release... Megadrive emulation is just getting better and better.

Thanks Notaz!

By the way, since DrMD was discontinued, would you consider using It's menu's for Picodrive? DrMD menus are one of it's finest features, and it would be great see that menu in Picodrive because it is intuitive, good looking and an all-round great menu. :D

Anyway, keep up this great work.

I'd rather keep the DrMD's menu, and take only the animated DrMD Background, as I think Picodrive menues are good enough

The only thing that need some work is the Key Config menu

PS : DESCENT 2 INTERPRETTER!!! YYAAAYYYY :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Javacat posted on Oct 15 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
notaz posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
Has anyone tied TV-out or USB joystick support?

I just tried it using TV-Out. The menu works fine, but as soon as you load a rom the GP2X appears to crash.

I have successfully used PicoDrive on tv-out, however I was doing it via the gmenu launcher, using kounch's tv out fixer on top of that. Everything seemed to go ok, though if I turned on the image stretching (was playing NHL 94), the image broke and I had to switch back to unscaled.

Oh, and come to think of it, this was on version .95 if that makes a difference.

reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:51 PM said:
NightShadow posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:28 PM said:
Great release... Megadrive emulation is just getting better and better.

Thanks Notaz!

By the way, since DrMD was discontinued, would you consider using It's menu's for Picodrive? DrMD menus are one of it's finest features, and it would be great see that menu in Picodrive because it is intuitive, good looking and an all-round great menu. :D

Anyway, keep up this great work.

I'd rather keep the DrMD's menu, and take only the animated DrMD Background, as I think Picodrive menues are good enough

PS : DESCENT 2 INTERPRETTER!!! YYAAAYYYY :blink:

first of all...:

thank you very much, unbelievable good work!

the only thing i would like to be changed in the menu is to have "load new rom" at first option. now it is at 5th position. but this aint really a problem... :)

This has been an amazing release! The only games I need to overclock are M.U.S.H.A and Alien Soldier. I was OCing them to 280 in the last release, but with accurate timing for sound and 8bit accurate to get full speed. The reason I was going up to 280 was that certain spots in those games needed the speed so I would have no frameskipping at all through out the game. Now I only need to OC to 250 and that's with 16bit accurate on and 44hz sound. This is a great release! I also would like to see Notaz for Guru! Thanks Notaz! :D

ok, I've finally had time to test PicoDrive and I have to say - this is one really impressive emulator! Time Killers plays all the sounds correctly now and Toy Story's title screen and between level screens show properly now :)

These are the only problems I've found so far:
-Gargoyles resets randomly (3 different times, 3 different places, totally random)
-Aladdin II (UNL) plays no music but I am able to get past the first 1up now :)

Very impressive! :)

I think I remember some missing sounds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, more precisely the sound when you have 100 rings, and gain an extra life, all options on (accurate timers, 16 bits, 44khz stereo etc)

Wolfsclaw posted on Oct 15 2006 at 11:00 PM said:
Just in theory, could you also use the 2nd cpu to playback external mp3s? Of course with disabling the game sound, but i mean, with no slowdowns? would be quite fun, but of course its nothing important ;)
In theory I could, but I don't think I'm going to do this.

NightShadow posted on Oct 15 2006 at 11:28 PM said:
By the way, since DrMD was discontinued, would you consider using It's menu's for Picodrive?
DrMD's menu is DrMD's menu, and I don't like taking things which do not belong to me. If someone does a frontend from it, I don't mind.

reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
What kind of work? Be more precise, please.

geise69 posted on Oct 16 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
Now I only need to OC to 250 and that's with 16bit accurate on and 44hz sound.
Have you tried "Use ARM940 core for sound" option? B)

BobBorakovitz posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:19 PM said:
-Gargoyles resets randomly (3 different times, 3 different places, totally random)
-Aladdin II (UNL) plays no music but I am able to get past the first 1up now :)
reiboul posted on Oct 16 2006 at 08:10 PM said:
I think I remember some missing sounds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, more precisely the sound when you have 100 rings, and gain an extra life, all options on (accurate timers, 16 bits, 44khz stereo etc)
ok, will check these some time later.

Javacat posted on Oct 15 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
I just tried it using TV-Out. The menu works fine, but as soon as you load a rom the GP2X appears to crash.
aah, crashes.. If only I had a tv-out cable..

Somebody mentioned something about donations.. So, I currently need a TV out cable. Breakout Board and power supply would also help development. Maybe somebody could supply these? <_<

notaz posted on Oct 16 2006 at 02:56 PM said:
Somebody mentioned something about donations.. So, I currently need a TV out cable. Breakout Board and power supply would also help development. Maybe somebody could supply these? <_<

Ask ED. He might be nice enough to donate at least a TV-Out cable... =D

Wow, I am impressed with this. I never thought I would stray away from DrMD, but this has done it. Audio is crisper and no longer gritty. Sonic 1 now looks ohh so beautiful, better than what I have on my PC! This is one amazing emulator!!!!!

Franxis posted on Oct 16 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
Awesome work, Notaz, congratulations :D

But running of code in the 940 is a very hard (task queues, asm, uclibc :( )...

Yeah a lot of talk about memory conflicts between the two processors..
Not such a problem if you keep memory useage to a minimum - some kind of semaphoring for bandwidth sharing??? :huh:
Be interested to hear how it's been done :)

notaz posted on Oct 16 2006 at 06:56 PM said:

Do you have Paypal? If not, perhaps somebody (ED?) could accept Paypal donations on your behalf and use them to send you those items when enough tallies up?

Franxis posted on Oct 16 2006 at 10:15 PM said:

Yeah Franxis, you're the one that deals with MAME2X, aren't you? You've done some nice work in the last few weeks! but if I may have a little suggestion, I have some games that could run below 133Mhz, so what about recreasing the CPU minimum speed? :ph34r:

reiboul posted on Oct 16 2006 at 09:57 PM said:
Franxis posted on Oct 16 2006 at 10:15 PM said:

Yeah Franxis, you're the one that deals with MAME2X, aren't you? You've done some nice work in the last few weeks! but if I may have a little suggestion, I have some games that could run below 133Mhz, so what about recreasing the CPU minimum speed? :ph34r:
how to win friends and influence people

reiboul posted on Oct 16 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
err.. did I say something wrong?

No, but it doesn't really belong in this thread either.

Back