Picodrive And Gpfce Updated

haf way through world 3 on SMB3 - all floors intact so far. I've played every level en route.

In SMB3 - there seems to be a little more flickering on the line inbetween the main game screen and status bar at the bottom than there was before. And more than on a real NES.

A small issue.

Thanks so much for this update - really appreciated!

Might there be fastforward key support in a future release :p

Thanks again!

Notaz...you are da man!

I've finally got around to trying some Mega CD games....everything I've thrown at it has run perfectly, great job. I'm currently enjoying Wing Commander which is running beautifully.

Thanks for all your hard work mate.

Later
Reesy

I've finally got around to trying some Mega CD games....everything I've thrown at it has run perfectly, great job. I'm currently enjoying Wing Commander which is running beautifully.

Agreed. With the exception of Batman Returns! :(

In the last version I have been having quite frequent random freezes in Vay. No matter what my settings are it still freezes. I also left the emu at 200mhz and it still freezes. Does anyone else encounter this? If this still happens in this new emu I'll maybe make a new ISO from my actual cd. Maybe the iso is bad. Thanks again for the new releases. Everything else I run is silky smooth. BTW my wife thanks you. She loves playing some Streets of Rage on the go. =)

notaz said:
now playing "Sonic Megamix 3.0" on PicoDrive, which is commercial quality Sonic 1 hack, highly recommended for all sonic fans!
Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I'm curious as to how well FMV runs on other people's units. Is heaps of buffering inevitable? I have a fairly slow SD card so I'm not sure if it's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
spooky2x said:
thanks a lot.
Picodrive is the best emu ever for me,but
i have plenty of roms installed and "delete rom" option will be very useful in next release.
thanks.
i know this isn't exactly the same thing, but i wanted to mention that i have enexfi on my sd card for deleting things straight from gp2x (easier than using sterm or the gph file browser).

Thanks for the update, notaz! The .cso ISO format support is a really usefull feature.
I'm just curious: How well are the other versions running compared to the GP2x version?

Regards,
Stephan

rokdcasbah said:
i wanted to mention that i have enexfi on my sd card for deleting things straight from gp2x (easier than using sterm or the gph file browser).
Nice tip. The renaming feature also looks useful.

sbock said:
I'm just curious: How well are the other versions running compared to the GP2x version?
Worse. Gizmondo has a horrible video memory access bottleneck (but things are slightly compensated by faster CPU). PSP apparently doesn't like my code (too much cache misses, I presume), but folks still like the release though, as it seems to outperform their DGen port.

However both of them don't have SD/memstick access issues, so FMV games run better there.

namco said:
Thanks to the .cso I can now fit more CD games onto the SD, thanks Notaz! :)

For those wanting the ISO -> CSO compression utility, download this.

I'm just curious... Couldn't we ZIP ISOs in previous releases of PicoDrive? Do ISOs compress better with CSO format or something? Just wondering if there is any real benefit? :)

I'm just curious... Couldn't we ZIP ISOs in previous releases of PicoDrive? Do ISOs compress better with CSO format or something? Just wondering if there is any real benefit?

I'm not sure, but here's my results using the above download:

The Terminator ~400MB* is now 38.2MB

Sonic CD ~200MB* is now 37.5MB

The Amazing Spiderman Vs. The Kingpin ~200MB* is now 59.7MB

I managed to squash Flashback down impressively too can't remember the final size though.

* - Apologies for the approx values that's all I remember the full size to be around....unless someone else can reclairfy.

PokeParadox said:
I'm just curious... Couldn't we ZIP ISOs in previous releases of PicoDrive? Do ISOs compress better with CSO format or something? Just wondering if there is any real benefit? :)
If the game does much random CD access (what most do), you get horrible load times with ZIP, because you can't seek in compressed stream (at least I don't know how to), and have to decompress from the beginning every time game seeks back.
CSO files use the same compression as ZIP (inflate), but every sector is compressed separately, so it allows free seeking, but has slightly worse compression ratio.

notaz said:
PokeParadox said:
If the game does much random CD access (what most do), you get horrible load times with ZIP, because you can't seek in compressed stream (at least I don't know how to), and have to decompress from the beginning every time game seeks back.
CSO files use the same compression as ZIP (inflate), but every sector is compressed separately, so it allows free seeking, but has slightly worse compression ratio.

Ah, sounds a lot like Ryleh's port of that GPE executable compressor.. I am thankful for the new CSO support because I was starting to run outta room. Thanks again

I've been playing straight through SMB3 in my spare time, and I'm almost done with level 6 (of 8). So far so good.

I also noticed that this release seems to fix the scrambled graphics in the (U) punchout rom.

Nice work!

Senor Quack said:
notaz said:
PokeParadox said:

Ah, sounds a lot like Ryleh's port of that GPE executable compressor.. I am thankful for the new CSO support because I was starting to run outta room. Thanks again

On my 2Gb SD with Mame, cps2, neogeo, lots of homebrew/comercial... I've already missed place :p I'm trying this on my digital camera sd card :p

If even this card was fast :p [ its a standard SD sandisk card ] slowwwwwww :p

paxl13

Yep, superb emulators. The best the GP2X has to offer. Thanks for the updates.

I'm confused - the folders I have for Sega CD games all contain a bunch of MP3 files and a single .BIN file

Is there a way of turning them back into an ISO so I can compress it using CSO?

At the moment (for example) Sonic CD is taking up something like 120mb on my SD card...

cyclone5uk said:
Is there a way of turning them back into an ISO so I can compress it using CSO?

At the moment (for example) Sonic CD is taking up something like 120mb on my SD card...
If you are using windows, you can mount the .bin with daemon tools, and then make a ISO with some ripping tool like Nero (like described here).

Back