Release Pidgin 2.10.9

I had one compiled with the whatsapp plugin, too. But it crashed after text entry.

I think sebt3 built the last version of pidgin?

This is quite important to me, so I hope they're willing to update it. I may be able to spare about $10 or so if that helps.

Well, I asked in the comments on the repo page for it. Should I PM him here as well?

Shall I contact him about this then? If not, I could try to do it myself, although I wouldn't want there to be two versions of Pidgin in the repo.

Hi,

Sorry about the lack of updates, I haven't used my Pandora in quite a while.

I'm uploading the 2.10.9 version to the repo right now.

I couldn't get OpenSteamWorks to build because it depends on json-glib, which needs glib-2.34.0, which we don't have on the Pandora as far as I remember.

I could upload my notes on how I build pidgin if anyone's interested.

EDIT: I just tried to build the whatsapp-purple plugin and it compiled without a problem. Does anyone have whatsapp and wants to test this? I'll upload an updated version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do! I'm sure the maintainers can update their PNDs. I think the ability to access Steam would be nice, plus I'm sure there are other benefits.

EDIT: I don't know much about C, but it looks like they only made two tiny changes that aren't backward compatible. How much could they actually change?

Also, I need to test the new Pidgin and see if having the sound enabled still crashes it.

There are a few problems, like The Buddy Icon Album plugin crashes it instantly when you try to view the archived icons. But that would be difficult to fix I imagine, and is unimportant.

Please do! I'm sure the maintainers can update their PNDs. I think the ability to access Steam would be nice, plus I'm sure there are other benefits.

EDIT: I don't know much about C, but it looks like they only made two tiny changes that aren't backward compatible. How much could they actually change?
From 2.24 (which is currently on pandora) I can see at least 80 changes that may cause crashes or misbehavior (things like changing structure layout, number/order of function arguments), that's not counting functions they removed that something may still use.. It seems the most mess was made in 2.25-2.28 range.

Is there any way to find out which packages this will effect? That way people can prepare for the change and PND maintainers can update. I mean, updating is good, right?

From 2.24 (which is currently on pandora) I can see at least 80 changes that may cause crashes or misbehavior (things like changing structure layout, number/order of function arguments), that's not counting functions they removed that something may still use.. It seems the most mess was made in 2.25-2.28 range.
Agreed, it may not be a smooth transition. But most software now want 2.30 (perhaps for good reason). We can survive with 2.24, but it would be nice to see an update.

Any chance to have versions coexist?
Mmmm how? I had issue just be having a version in codeblocks in // to the one in the firmware (so I removed it)...

I updated last night, and rebooted this morning.  I'm not planning to use Pidgin, but thought I'd test out this update anyway.

So far it's been perfectly stable.  Done a bit of browsing in Firefox (via my USB wifi nubbin), music in DeadBeef and emulation in DraStic and it all runs fine.  The desktop looks a little different with new icons (finally I can tell the difference between volume and wifi strength at a glance!) and thinner scrollbars.  There's a missing icon for the screen backlight brightness, but that's the only (slight) problem I've had so far.

Now that we're on the new glib, perhaps Steam can be included in the next update? :)

Back