Release Pidgin 2.10.9

fahrstuhl

Hi,
I finally managed to compile Pidgin with working OTR encryption
Pidgin version is 2.10.6, libotr and pidgin-otr are 4.0.0 . The pnd also includes recent versions of gnutls, libgcrypt and libgpg-error which pidgin and libotr should use instead of the ones on the Pandora. It also includes the musictracker plugin, a Facebook chat plugin and the purple plugin pack.

OTR key creation needs enough entropy in /dev/random to finish, so should it take too long, just mash your keyboard to generate more entropy.

Log and config directory is pandora/appdata/pidgin/.purple .

I finally have proper internet again. Pidgin 2.10.6 is in the repo.

2014-09-29: Pidgin 2.10.9 is in the repo.

It contains the OTR plugin version 4.0.0, the whatsapp-purple plugin and the purple plugin pack version 2.7.0 with the following plugins enabled:

album, autoprofile, autoreply, awaynotify, bash, bit, blistops, capsnot, chronic, colorize, convbadger, dewysiwygification, dice, difftopic, eight_ball, enhancedhist, findip, flip, gRIM, google, groupmsg, hideconv, highlight, icon-override, ignore, infopane, irc-more, irchelper, irssi, lastseen, listhandler, listlog, msglen, mystatusbox, napster, nicksaid, nomobility, oldlogger, plonkers, schedule, sepandtab, showoffline, simfix, slashexec, snpp, splitter, sslinfo, switchspell, talkfilters, timelog, translate, xchat-chats, xmmsremote, xmppprio

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a Yahoo account, and the configuration did not save when I exited. I opened the app again and it came up with the account management screen.

Also, it would be real nice if this newer version picked up the old settings and logs from the version on the repo. There appears to be at least a difference in capitalization, your version has Pidgin whereas the repo has pidgin.

Thanks for working on this, I look forward to updates.

Ah, configuration not saving is a problem with the folder permissions, fixing it right now. And keys do generate, it just takes a very long time.

And I'm adjusting it to use the old settings, I just thought it would be nice to not have a hidden config-folder.

Edit: Well, yeah, everything you mentioned works now, but I've just discovered that SSL/TLS don't work.

Hi, just to bump this a bit. SSL and TLS should work now, so please go ahead and test the pnd.

I'd like totest this, but how do you generate keys on your desktop in the first place? If you can explain this piece, I will gladly test your new pidgin client.

You don't need to generate the keys on your desktop anymore, it also works on your Pandora now (if it takes too long, just press some keys on your keyboard) and you only need them if you want to use OTR encryption (which you enable in the Tools->Plugins section).

OTR is a convenient end-to-end encryption with some pretty neat properties. Best have a look at http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

I think everybody should just use OTR as it doesn't get in your way and most of the IM providers have some very questionable Terms of Use regarding the data you send over their network.

You don't need to generate the keys on your desktop anymore, it also works on your Pandora now (if it takes too long, just press some keys on your keyboard) and you only need them if you want to use OTR encryption (which you enable in the Tools->Plugins section).

OTR is a convenient end-to-end encryption with some pretty neat properties. Best have a look at http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

I think everybody should just use OTR as it doesn't get in your way and most of the IM providers have some very questionable Terms of Use regarding the data you send over their network.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Can we expect this to be on the repo sometimes soon ? Any bugs to kill at this stage?

I'm using it all the time and everything seems to work just fine. I probably could just upload it to the repo, I have yet to come across a bug though more tests and testers would be cool.

EDIT: Ah, I can't just upload it as sebt3 is its maintainer right now. Just contacted him about it.

As far as I remember voice chat needs farstream and telepathy which had a lot of dependencies that wouldn't build. I'll look into it when I have time. The text-only google-talk should work via XMPP.

As far as I remember voice chat needs farstream and telepathy which had a lot of dependencies that wouldn't build. I'll look into it when I have time. The text-only google-talk should work via XMPP.

Yeah, I am interested in the voice part. I understand you'll need more dependencies... please seek help in case it proves to be difficult. I'm sure I am not the only one interested by this option.

The problem with stuff like telepathy is that it needs newer libs than our currentfirmware has. It would end up with packaging half an recompiled baseos in the pnd. If you can wait, those problems should get solved with .next.

The problem with stuff like telepathy is that it needs newer libs than our currentfirmware has. It would end up with packaging half an recompiled baseos in the pnd. If you can wait, those problems should get solved with .next.

Well .next is like Pandora 2. Many people talking about it, but nothing much happening and no clear timing in sight, and in the meantime we still need software to meet our needs.

Pidgin itself is not hard to compile, so you might want to have a shot at it yourself?

Pidgin itself is not hard to compile, so you might want to have a shot at it yourself?

I might, but I am short on time and I prefer develop software when I have time instead of doing something I am not very good at in the first place (i.e. porting/compiling). There are tons of people here who can do for a fraction of the time I would take to find out how to do it. I think it's the principle of the community, everyone contributes the way they know best, and everyone benefits from each other's contributions in the end.

Belive me, when you get the message, that your glib and gtk is too old, you want to give up because as said half the system depends on them...

So this might not be an easy task.

OTR 4.0.0 is out so I've updated the pidgin.pnd

It's uploading to the repo right now.

EDIT: Argh, uploading takes forever and I have to go. I'll do it today evening.

Back