Release Pidgin 2.10.9

Well the last four are pidgin itself or its plugins, and the first five are crptyo libs that presumably various pidgin plugins depend on.  I'm slightly surprised that gnutls isn't a dependency on anything in the OS already, and thus part of the default image, but looking at my arch system it's only required by various things that exist as PNDs on the Pandora.

gnutls on the Pandora was too old last time I checked.

Yes, the crypto is for OTR and for SSL/TLS support for Pidgin.

Hey all,

I'm trying to get Pidgin to work with google hangouts but I can't get it to connect, I'm using the instructions here with no joy. it accepts the setup and says "Available - connecting" and finally says "not authorized". 

Is there some set of instructions to be followed that might give me more success? Thanks.

Strictly speaking, Google hangouts has never been based on XMPP/Jabber.  Google Talk was, but I don't know if that's still active at all.  Google Talk != Google Hangouts.

It's the google way.  It appears they're now dropping rss support for youtube channels (because of course, I ought to sign up to youtube and subscribe, so google can have a record of everything I watch).

I guess I will try to get into telegram, I wish they would learn that everytime they pull a bait and switch like this I'm less likely to use their services.

The Textsecure guys and girls really need to hurry up with their desktop client, they're losing so many people to Telegram...

You can stlll use XMPP; you just have to set up an account on jabber.org (or one of its regional affiliates).  No fancy super sekrit messages and the likes as far as I know, but it works well.

Yep. I copy that, just wanted to be sure.
There is actually a solution called hangups (cli application), but you need to get Slackware on Pandora if you want to make it work. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and it worked just fine :)
Have you tried launching hangups with Python 3.3 from the CodeBlocks PND? According to the git, it does not support 3.3 officially, but it may work.

Qhangups client based on it seems to suggest that Python 3.3 should work. I think we could fulfill all Qhangups dependencies with Python 3.3 from Codeblocks as well as the wxPython PND. Along with the various other scripts it seems to rely on, of course.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. The wxpython PND is for Python 2.7. I will at least try out Hangups on its own with Python 3.3 when I get my Pandora back.

EDIT2: And now I started looking into building pyQT for Python 3. Looks doable, but won't be able to try it yet of course. I'm also interested in how hard it would be to port Hangish from the Sailfish OS... Nevermind it looks like Hangish is based on Hangups, and wouldn't really provide any additional features. Best to try Hangups with Python 3.3 for now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back