Pidgin plugin for SMS/MMS?

Would that be an acceptable way to handle SMS and MMS?
How is this handled on a regular desktop Linux? Since we're practically using a vanilla debian 8 for the Pyra it would most likely be the same... "apt-get install pidgin" and what ever plugins needed. Not entirely sure, does pidgin already have this kind of plugin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, I just meant would people like that, or would they want something else.

I suppose it may be a step up from something kludged together with zenity scripts.

Would that be an acceptable way to handle SMS and MMS?
How is this handled on a regular desktop Linux? Since we're practically using a vanilla debian 8 for the Pyra it would most likely be the same... "apt-get install pidgin" and what ever plugins needed. Not entirely sure, does pidgin already have this kind of plugin?
The last time I SMSed or Texted from a regular desktop was ... never.

Something like whatsapp would be ideal I guess.

The last time I texted from a desktop was with a mobile plugged into the serial port and controlled using a bit of Perl to squirt out the relevant AT commands.  But the fact it was plugged in a DB9 serial port should indicate how long ago that was!

Yes, I forgot to qoute. It was a respond to this:

"Something like whatsapp would be ideal I guess."

Pidgin already supports Whatsapp but you have to hack around a bit, to get the password of your whatsapp account.

Pidgin doesn't support MMS as far as I know, you can SMS through AIM, but the current version does not support sending pictures without a direct connection to the client...if sending to a phone you can't do it

There are browser SMS services around that are partly ad-sponsored and if you choose to, are also paid (with really good deals).

I'm using one of those for 11 years now and if someone answers to the generated number instead of my original one, I get the answer as an eMail,

so if you pair this with thunderbird or claws, you have something like an sms-messenger and for free on top of it if you don't mind (  or block :X  )ads.

There are browser SMS services around that are partly ad-sponsored and if you choose to, are also paid (with really good deals).
I believe the point is, since we have a(n optional) cell module, that we could get some kind of open source pluggin for an existing messaging client that would handle it for us.Pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist yet.

Back