Playstation Emulation

MagicPants said:
So I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything on this subject, and I don't feel like reading through a bunch of threads.

I have a bunch of legitimately purchased playstation cd-roms, and I would like to rip them and try them out in an emulator. But I'd like to rip them to something I could use on the Pandora when it comes out. Do I need anything special to do this? What's the best windows based emulator to try them out on?
Do what you want, ‘cause a pirate is free,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)You are a pirate!
(crowd)Yay!

We've got us a map, (a map!)
To lead us to a hidden box,
That's all locked up with locks! (with locks!)
And buried deep away!

We'll dig up the box, (the box!)
We know it's full of precious booty!
Burst open the locks!
And then we'll say hooray!

(changes to electronic euro-pop crap music)

(girl's voice)Yar, har, fiddle di dee.
If you love to sail the sea,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Weigh anchooor!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want '‘cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Arr yarr, ahoy and avast,
dinky-dink-dink-a-dinkadefast!
Hang the black flag
At the end of the mast!
You are a pirate!

Hahaha! (Yay!)

We're sailing away (set sail!),
Adventure awaits on every shore!
We set sail and explore (ya-har!)
And run and jump all day (Yay!)
We float on our boat (the boat!)
Until its time to drop the anchor,
Then hang up our coats (aye-aye!)
Until we sail again!

(girl's voice)Yar, har, fiddle di dee.
If you love to sail the sea,
You are a pirate!

Laaaand ho!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Yar har, wind at your back, lads,
Wherever you go!

(singing)Blue sky above and blue ocean below,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Hahahahaa!
You're a pirate!

Last edited by a moderator:
MagicPants said:
So I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything on this subject, and I don't feel like reading through a bunch of threads.

I have a bunch of legitimately purchased playstation cd-roms, and I would like to rip them and try them out in an emulator. But I'd like to rip them to something I could use on the Pandora when it comes out. Do I need anything special to do this? What's the best windows based emulator to try them out on?
I use SmartProjects IsoBuster (free)

PocketISO to compress (free)

I think ePSXe is one of the best (if not the best) emulator.

CandidStan said:
MagicPants said:

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

No, no I am not sir. I will not pirate games because I work in games. I own a Playstation and every emulated game I want to play on the Pandora. I've even been buying Lucas Arts games off of Ebay to play on Scummvm.

I understand why people pirate games, but I absolutely will not do it myself. That said I love open source and wish those projects nothing but the best.

What most of the big hardware guys haven't figured out is that playing the games you want on the system you want is cool, being a fan boy and only doing what you are allowed makes you lame, and stifles innovation.

MagicPants said:
What most of the big hardware guys haven't figured out is that playing the games you want on the system you want is cool, being a fan boy and only doing what you are allowed makes you lame, and stifles innovation.
I have a slightly different take, more hardware based, I want to play the games I want on the display and controller I want :) (namely a Stereoscopic Dual Polarized LCD and a PSX pad, I just modded a dual shock to have the left analog where the dpad was ;), so now I am set for games that are better with an analog stick, plus I modded that stick into a nub, now the controller starts to resemble a GC controller, but with the C and main stick reversed. And real triggers instead of analog sliders+buttons.)

I like ISOBuster because it will rip the disc very well, then I can compress the ISO pretty far with PocketISO.

MagicPants said:
I own a Playstation and every emulated game I want to play on the Pandora. I've even been buying Lucas Arts games off of Ebay to play on Scummvm.

I understand why people pirate games, but I absolutely will not do it myself. That said I love open source and wish those projects nothing but the best.
+1 :)

javaJake said:
MagicPants said:
I own a Playstation and every emulated game I want to play on the Pandora. I've even been buying Lucas Arts games off of Ebay to play on Scummvm.

+1 :)

+2. :D

MagicPants said:
No, no I am not sir. I will not pirate games because I work in games. I own a Playstation and every emulated game I want to play on the Pandora. I've even been buying Lucas Arts games off of Ebay to play on Scummvm.

It's still illegal unless you rip every game yourself (no rom downloading), and the original product supposedly has to be put into archivial use after (iirc), and even then it's a grey area.

PIIIRATE!

Goity said:
It's still illegal unless you rip every game yourself (no rom downloading), and the original product supposedly has to be put into arhivial use after (iirc), and even then it's a grey area.

PIIIRATE!
Oh ? are your country laws so retarded that a private copy is impossible ? so if your ps1 console is dead, and you still want to be able to play your favorite ps1 games, how will you do ? some are pirates, some are rats to think they could sell us games and forbid us to play them with an implicit stating : "you are permitted to play this game only on SONY PlayStation [One]". Silly world.

hlide said:
Goity said:
It's still illegal unless you rip every game yourself (no rom downloading), and the original product supposedly has to be put into arhivial use after (iirc), and even then it's a grey area.

PIIIRATE!
Oh ? are your country laws so retarded that a private copy is impossible ? so if your ps1 console is dead, and you still want to be able to play your favorite ps1 games, how will you do ? some are pirates, some are rats to think they could sell us games and forbid us to play them with an implicit stating : "you are permitted to play this game only on SONY PlayStation [One]". Silly world.

I think quite a few countries have retarded laws like the ones you are describing. Money decides policy.

MagicPants said:
CandidStan said:
MagicPants said:

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

OBVIOUS JOKE SIR. Guess you haven't been around the interwebs as many times as I have.

Wow. It runs PSX emulation full-speed.

I found out about Pandora only yesterday and this is the handheld I've been waiting all my life for. It's the _perfect_ handheld. I will not rest until I have one in my hands..

Just a heads up for people regarding multi-disc games: this is not the same as Pops, so it should have full support for multi-disc games without funky workarounds (needing to save before/during a disc swap, funky eboots/cue sheets, etc). Even if you have individual Eboots/ISOs/CSOs/etc.

The PSP's Pops eboot is a container format with the emulator built in - IE it has no function for mounting and unmounting a disc image. Sony could build it in, I'm sure, but as Pops is only meant for purchased games through the PSN (and they have not yet released a multi-disc game for sale on PSN), they probably won't ever add that, as any multi-disc game they sold would probably just be a multi-disc eboot. MD Eboots were created by the scene as a workaround to the fact that people wanted to play multi-disc games with a multi-disc UNfriendly emulator.

As psx4pandora is a custom emulator, I seriously, seriously doubt it won't support disc image mount/unmount.

So the whole "will it support multi-disc games" is unnecessary. The only real concern is whether it will support multi-disc eboots native, which would basically just mean adding support for the selection of specific disc mounting when a multidisc eboot is detected.

Yet another feature that will make PSX4Pandora far, far superior to PSX emulation on the PSP.

I want to play Megaman X 4 so bad. So... bad... Man, Web Spider's stage is gonna look so freaking vibrant and pretty on that screen I just want to rip my face off with a can opener. Not to mention G-Darius.

CandidStan said:
MagicPants said:
CandidStan said:
MagicPants said:

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

OBVIOUS JOKE SIR. Guess you haven't been around the interwebs as many times as I have.

Okay, no offense taken just I'm a little touchy about it. Though there really isn't a clear definition of piracy, I'm sure many big companies would consider me a pirate even though I own all my cds. Though the funny thing is Sony and game developers aren't making one dime by me purchasing games off of Ebay, neither is Lucas Arts. If they didn't have their heads stuck up their umm @sses(I couldn't think of a nice way to put it), they'd sell most of these old games for $5 to $15.

The cool thing would be if other companies starting making Pandora compatible handhelds.

Back