Pool Panic

Website
Visit site
Hello all,

this is my Blast Billiards type game 'Pool Panic'. Pot all the balls before the timer runs out to complete level. Some levels require you to pot the balls into a set number of 'magic' pockets to complete.

ppanicmiscro7.png

Joystick: move cursor, B: Shoot, SELECT:pause, START+SELECT: quit to main menu then START+SELECT from main menu to quit.

Enjoy!

Archive now has the latest version. Get it HERE

Free host d.load

Unfathomable Depths said:
Hello all,

this is my Blast Billiards type game 'Pool Panic'. Pot all the balls before the timer runs out to complete level. Some levels require you to pot the balls into a set number of 'magic' pockets to complete.

ppanicmiscro7.png

Download from the archive HERE

Joystick: move cursor, B: Shoot, SELECT:pause, START+SELECT: quit to main menu then START+SELECT from main menu to quit.

Enjoy!

DLd this to have a quick go and an hour flew by. Fun game.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice little game.

I'm bad at this kind of games though. :p

The title-screen song is very amusing. :lol:

Good work, and thanks.

Good fun.

A few points:

- It's hard to quit without trying several times (Wouldn't L+R have been a better choice?)
- The sounds aren't "normalised" (i.e. some of them are louder than others when they shouldn't be). When the volume is loud enough to hear the ball clacks, the bonus sound is too loud etc. Run then through a normaliser?
- There are extra unused ogg's/mp3's/wav's in the sound directory.

Challenging and addictive game, it's a lot of fun to watch carefully planned moves as they unfold... I can't wait to get to the level with the nuclear barrel :D Nice job on the graphics too by the way, looking good.

Thank you UD!

Thanks for the comments guys :)

ledow said:
Good fun.

A few points:

- It's hard to quit without trying several times (Wouldn't L+R have been a better choice?)
- The sounds aren't "normalised" (i.e. some of them are louder than others when they shouldn't be). When the volume is loud enough to hear the ball clacks, the bonus sound is too loud etc. Run then through a normaliser?
- There are extra unused ogg's/mp3's/wav's in the sound directory.
Quitting is fiddly and the sound is a bit uneven. I will get round to fixing these issues (along with the extra unused sounds) but not for a while I'm afraid. Work is crazy right now :(

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions ledow :)

Thanks for this original game. It is awesome and funny, nice graphics and simple controls since quickness is vital. I have a F100, but touchscreen support would be perfect for F200 users.

One of the must-have for the Gp2x.

Nice game. The controls seem a bit weird though. I'm more used to positioning the cursor behind the ball instead of the direction you want it. The cursor would usually be where the cue stick is. Maybe the way you have it is more intuitive but just not used to it. Anyway well done game overall and the physics of the balls work well and I'm sure are hard to do.

Looks fun, can't wait to try it when I get Internet back. I love pool games!

Alex. said:
Challenging and addictive game, it's a lot of fun to watch carefully planned moves as they unfold... I can't wait to get to the level with the nuclear barrel :D Nice job on the graphics too by the way, looking good.

Thank you UD!
I reached the level with the barrel and I can tell that you wish not to have such a barrel onto the table! :D

jbrodack said:
Nice game. The controls seem a bit weird though. I'm more used to positioning the cursor behind the ball instead of the direction you want it. The cursor would usually be where the cue stick is. Maybe the way you have it is more intuitive but just not used to it. Anyway well done game overall and the physics of the balls work well and I'm sure are hard to do.
Yupp, this was my problem first. I know this from old pool billard programs where you place the cursor behind the white ball and a dot line indicates force (lenght of line) and direction (this requires drag and drop, maybe not that good onto F-100 GP2X )

I like the little game. Maybe a practise mode could be included, I like to train my skills without time limit. The balls could be animated maybe, I mean some kind of surface movement that indicates the rolling? In "oxyd" games this is faked by a speed depending pulsating light spot onto the ball. (yes, it's only unimportant cosmetic but I'm a graphic guy so I usualy mention such things :D )

This game is really fun. Very smooth and nice graphics too! And now I am looking up who these Chas & Dave guys are. As always you have a sense for what's funny and fun Jim.

One thing I noticed was if I touch the screen on my F200, it slows down the game? Sort of weird but doesn't really detract from the game.

I'm still not quite happy with that font :( One of these days I'll stop being a slowpoke and maybe we can get something done again :D

There seems that there is a bug on level 11 as when the game starts 3 balls are automatically potted each time I retry the level. Once the rest of the balls are potted the game does not end and the timer continues to tick down. Is it that the game does not register the 3 balls being potted at the start of the level thus not ending? :unsure:

It looks great but unfortunately, it's not running for me (F200 with firmware 4.0) :(, I get a segmentation fault:
CODE

[root@gp2x Pool Panic]$./PoolPanic.gpe
Touch driver open
Touch calibration
pc : [<0001284c>] lr : [<0001283c>] Not tainted
sp : bffffc00 ip : 4056b508 fp : bffffd54
r10: 407b0f4c r9 : 407b08e4 r8 : 00009dcc
r7 : 00000001 r6 : 0000943c r5 : 4001df4c r4 : bffffdc4
r3 : ffffffff r2 : 00000000 r1 : 00000001 r0 : bffffcf4
Flags: nZCv IRQs on FIQs on Mode USER_32 Segment user
Control: C000317F Table: 00330000 DAC: 00000015
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
close..... touch

Not sure if that matters, but I have recently started using a ext2-formatted SD card.

Love it! awesome...

Nice title screen music... I like the high score screen. How you have kind'a overlapped it with the title screen.

Back