Power Vs Dreamcast?

1magus

I looked up the GPU and it says it is only clocked at 110 MHz and the DCs is clocked at 100, now I know this is like version 5 of this GPU and DC is version 2 so obviously its more powerful but how much more is it when compared to the Dreamcast?

TylerAW said:
I looked up the GPU and it says it is only clocked at 110 MHz and the DCs is clocked at 100, now I know this is like version 5 of this GPU and DC is version 2 so obviously its more powerful but how much more is it when compared to the Dreamcast?
]-------- :D ---------[

this much

Last edited by a moderator:
impreziv said:
1.21 gigawatts more
also, you can plug in USB Mr. Fusion, an ability the Dreamcast lacked.

MagicPants said:
TylerAW said:
]-------- :D ---------[

this much

HAHAHAHAHA. This made me laugh. :p

MWeston has remarked in other threads that it could be clocked as much as 166MHz or more, I think.

It says the GPU of this model 530 can handle 14 Million Polygons/ Second and the Dreamcasts can do 3 so I have my answer roughly the same power as a Gamecube at PEAK Performance.

TylerAW said:
It says the GPU of this model 530 can handle 14 Million Polygons/ Second and the Dreamcasts can do 3 so I have my answer roughly the same power as a Gamecube at PEAK Performance.
Unless overclocked, of course :)

TylerAW said:
What we had listed for our comparison sheet was around 10 million poly/s. Where did you get that figure?

Reference: QUOTE
PowerVR SGX Raw Rendering Power, peak theoretical
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap3530.pdf (Icurafu)

14 million was given by PowerVR. (I remembered it to be 13...)

10 Million were given by TI by their particular implementation.

These are only theoretical figures. Not peak performance. GC claims over 20 million theoretical. So in this regard, the gamecube is twice as powerful.

Again, the dreamcast can do 3 million in real world tests. It theoretically can do 7 million and 5 million with standard textures and lighting.

Ofcourse there is speculation that the SGX on the TI is massively underclocked and can gain significantly better performance as hinted by someone in the know above. ;)

I hope this was helpful.

icurafu said:
14 million was given by PowerVR. (I remembered it to be 13...)
10 Million were given by TI by their particular implementation.
Of course there is speculation that the SGX on the TI is massively underclocked and can gain significantly better performance as hinted by someone in the know above. ;)

Now I remember the 14. Ah. I tried to use conservative estimates (even on the theoretical performances) so I went with the 10 now that I think of it.

I however thought that overclocking the GPU was a no-no, kind of like the DSP. In the GPU's case, it would hog the system bus and you would see less performance than it would be at standard clock rates. The DSP was just highly discouraged from being overclocked.

My question is "Is there any application where this will actually matter?"

You either have to port a game that pushes it to its limits, or write an emu that does (dreamcast maybe).However, neither of these is very likely.

Yes, there are many apps where this will matter. A lot of the portable games with linux ports and using OpenGL are made for desktops rather than handhelds and are many times less efficient than the Handheld games that need to cram all possible performance of handware.

Imgtec quotes a 200 MHz clock speed to correspond to that 13.5/14M verts per sec figure, and they characterize their figures as being achievable and not the theoretical maximums.

anexanhume said:
My question is "Is there any application where this will actually matter?"

You either have to port a game that pushes it to its limits, or write an emu that does (dreamcast maybe).However, neither of these is very likely.
Or write some nice homebrew!
You will see some nice 3D on Pandora ;)
It might be a little late to the party but it's in its way :p

Pretty much any press release, presentation, or fact sheet detailing SGX performance from Imgtec correlates a reference clock of 200 MHz with their claim of ~14M poly/sec for SGX53x.
PowerVR SGX is available for licensing in three scaled variants (PowerVR SGX510, SGX520, SGX530)...

...Across the wireless PowerVR SGX family parts effective fillrate performance is from 200Mpix/sec to 1200Mpix/sec @ 200MHz (with even higher Z and stencil rates) and polygon throughput is from 2Mpoly/sec to 13.5Mpoly/sec @ 200Mhz.

http://imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=121

On the fact sheet and in various presentation materials for SGX, Imgtec makes the point that their performance guidelines are achievable in an SoC environment and not the theoretical maximums.

http://imgtec.com/powervr/sgx.asp

Back