Pandora Programming for the Pandora/Pyra

Mikelle02

Still Fresh
Hi,
I just wanted to know if it's there a way to make something for the Pandora/Pyra under x86 Windows platform.
I'm using Code::Blocks , DevC++ , Monodevelop , Enigma , Game Maker 8.1.
What IDE do you suggest to use ?
Is there a pnd builder ? How can I package everything ?

I suggest you to write your Game in C/C++ with libSDL on your PC and also debug it there. Later you can Compile and Package it on the Pandora by using gcc and pnd_make inside the dchrt chroot (install/extract it as described, cd into the dir and run "sudo ./chroot.sh").

C/++, SDL and possibly GL|ES 1/2 is probably a good starting point. While it's probably doable to write games for pandora/pyra with mono, performance may be lacking, especially on the pandora.

Don't worry about packaging for now, when you get it working as it is, getting it to run from a package will be ≈ like running it from the build directory. Just keep your dependencies in check and you'll be fine.

You have a wide range of possibility.
C/C++ (GCC 5.2 in latest Codeblocks PND).... with SDL1.2 / SDL2 / GLES 1 / GLES 2 / GL (using glshim) / SFML / QT4 / QT5 / Allegro4 / Allegro5 / GTK2 / Wxwidget / Irrlicht and many others
Python 2 - Python3 with Pygame , WxPython and some other external libs
Pascal with Lazarus IDE and FPC (free pascal compiler) and many other libs
Java
GODOT Game engine version 1 and version 2
BennuGD
DIV
Gambas a basic interpreter
FreeBasic another basic interpreter/compiler
GLBasic a commercial basic
gnu D compiler (gdc)
MonoRT for C# and VB.Net compiler.
Perl/Fortran/Ruby
and many other that maybe forgot

You clearly need to learn how to use a computer before doing actual work.

Are you actually implying you know how to compile things and develop with mono? I doubt you can do either xD so you should learn how to use a computer first. (Consider this an informal warning)

For OP, It really depends on what you need in an IDE. Some people can use notepad, some prefer something advanced like BBEdit, some might use QBasic. You might even prefer to use Visual Studio over the whole lot (If you're a student it's free via DreamSpark if eligible).

some might use QBasic
A closed source IDE whose compiler doesn't exist (QBasic) or is directly build into the executable and can't be used outside of it (QuickBasic), plus there's not a single fully compatible 3rd party compiler that I know of (FreeBASIC lacks a few commands) - a bad example for a matter of choice I'd say.

A closed source IDE whose compiler doesn't exist (QBasic) or is directly build into the executable and can't be used outside of it (QuickBasic), plus there's not a single fully compatible 3rd party compiler that I know of (FreeBASIC lacks a few commands) - a bad example for a matter of choice I'd say.
QB64 is compatible with QBasic, is opensource, and can run on the OpenPandora.

Back