PS1 ripping/converting

Arse.. iv'e nearly done all mine as .img (and i have a lot) wish i had read the other posts, before i got a bit carried away.

Anyone know of a user friendly Windows utility to convert to bin/cue (pref freeware)
The really problematic one, by my understanding, is .iso - my understanding is that you'll probably be fine with .img. :p

Why do people still refer to the PS1 as the PSX? There was actually a PSX console, it was a PS2 with DVR capabilities. Even the wiki says about PS1 being called PSX is 'unofficial' and I think that should be extended into 'incorrectly'. I don't think any official Sony source ever called the PS1 a PSX and then on top of that Sony made a console named PSX so even if they did call PS1 a PSX then that should officially change.

I do notice a lot of sites, mainly emulation and rom sites, have changed PSX to PS1 because of this 'new' knowledge but occasionally I still see people say PSX when they mean PS1. I had this explained to me once and accepted it but for the life of me I can't remember why it was. . .

EDIT: Oh, it was the PS1's codename, PS-X for PS-Experimental, so it is like saying how you love your Revolution-mote over the other too competitor's controllers :blink:
All of the devs I ever knew referred to it as "PSX", as did all the press, and just about everyone. I may be misremembering, but I'm guessing that all the devs did it because the dev-equipment probably referred to the machine that way.

I see no reason to stop calling it what everyone always called it just because Sony decided to do a cynical retcon to try to take advantage of the fact that everyone used the term "PSX", in the likely hope that people would get confused and think that the people using that term meant their flopped PS2-DVR machine - I always find it odd how many people instantly started using "PS1" as soon as Sony stopped using "PSX". :p

Last edited by a moderator:
^ And I just noticed that I somehow missed notaz's post on it at the bottom of the previous page, which does in fact confirm my recollection as being correct. :lol:

Ok, I'll try to file that in my brain. It still doesn't make sense, the media had stories about the PS before release, then codenamed PS-X(like Wii is to revolution) and they shortened it to PSX, but when it came out the media refereed to it is simply PS, or at least Gamefan did looking at old issues. Emulators come out years later and recall those days and name their products after the code name or what the media called it before release to be cleaver.

So, this is like years from now if someone makes a Wii emulator and names it 'Revolution' and then everyone just starts referring to the Wii as the Revolution because the media reported it that way before it was released and there is an emulator with that name. I know I know, it that is an extreme example, PS1 and PSX is just one character off but still.

So the argument is some people were wrong way back when so we are wrong now? Would this reasoning work in anything but popular culture? History books should never be updated because we want to keep quoting things incorrectly?

I'll try to file it in my brain, it is just that illogical reasoning has a problem with sticking.

but when it came out the media refereed to it is just PS.
Except, they didn't... And you're ignoring the facts pointed out by notaz. ;)
But they did. . . Looking at my old Gamefan magazines at least. So the media makes a mistake and the populous never corrects it? There is good media and bad media and this is one more example how it is troublesome how much power the media has over our brains.

I edited that into the post above, or was editing it, while you were posting.

I did address notaz in a way, the code name for the PS was the PS-X(PS dash X), that is it's codename and probably all the technical information was written with that. When it was released it was released as the PS.

As for Windows, Imgburn is THE software for burning/ripping images, and I've ripped my collection using it for emulation on the pc. It'll actually detect the way the data is formatted on the disc and will warn you if you try to rip a Playstation disk to iso that you won't get a fully accurate copy.

In terms of the PSX/PS1 debate, I always saw Playstation abbreviated as PS or PSX interchangeably, and only started hearing the PS1 moniker when Sony released the miniaturized version of the Playstation that you could get with a lcd screen and battery. I have always used the PSX abbreviation, not that it means much. Just because a particular company insists that everyone refers to their console by a particular name or abbreviation doesn't mean that they are the only governing body on what people can call it. As long as you can understand what I'm talking about it doesn't matter if it's written out as Playstation, or "That grey gamebox wot Sony released in the year of our lord Ninteen Ninety Five."

I'm filing it in my brain, I guess it doesn't matter. Things like this I try to be correct even if popular culture mandates that correct is incorrect and/or irrelevant.

Hope nobody minds if i broaden the thread a little..

I wonder if anyone who has ever ripped & converted their PS1 games to play on PSP, would mind comparing how the games look & perform on both the Pandora and PSP (better/worse, about the same, controls etc..)

I used to use my PSP for this extensively. Generally, with the right configuration, the PSP would play games flawlessly. BUT that's because Sony themselves programmed the emulator and Dark Alex hijacked it to be able to play any game you could throw at it.

We don't have a Sony-programmed emulator running on Sony hardware, so you can't really compare Notaz's work to the PSP because that's simply not a fair comparison. I will say, however, that his port runs really well and the games that I've tried are very, very playable if not perfect.

Hope nobody minds if i broaden the thread a little..

I wonder if anyone who has ever ripped & converted their PS1 games to play on PSP, would mind comparing how the games look & perform on both the Pandora and PSP (better/worse, about the same, controls etc..)

I used to use my PSP for this extensively. Generally, with the right configuration, the PSP would play games flawlessly. BUT that's because Sony themselves programmed the emulator and Dark Alex hijacked it to be able to play any game you could throw at it.

We don't have a Sony-programmed emulator running on Sony hardware, so you can't really compare Notaz's work to the PSP because that's simply not a fair comparison. I will say, however, that his port runs really well and the games that I've tried are very, very playable if not perfect.

Of course i understand the Pandora's PS1 emu's can't hope to stack up against Sony's own hardware emulation (i'm sure Notaz has done some sterling work, if his past efforts are anything to go by) i wasn't suggesting a like-for-like comparison, more a user's experience from someone who has done both (still waiting for my unit unfortunately) the PSP's ability to run pretty much any PS1 game using cfw has ensured i always carry mine with me still to this day.

I understand you better now, Klaus. It is quite impressive to say the least, with better battery life!

I've been ripping most of my games as .IMG with Imgburn on PC(free program). A couple of times I accidentally ripped them as Bin but noticed almost no difference in size or playabilty. Anyone know of any games that currently work fine as one but have issues as the other?

Cas, you can't ask for things like that here. But we can probably walk you through ripping your own games if you give us more information on your operating system, the tools you're using etc.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply and I did think it was the wrong thing to ask here, but with my Pandora

arriving now down to today I was getting desperate.

OK, I do not think I can rip my games as I use a Mac, I did find one way but it uses a program called

PrometeusPro 0.10.1, thing with this is that this program does not run on the latest OS.

I have spent since Saturday searching the net for a way, and found nothing really :(

Computer used.

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

OS Snow Leopard v10.6.6

I know I could run bootcamp and run an MS partition or drive, but really do not want to take that route just

to do this, because i have no other use for MS OS.

Cas, you can't ask for things like that here. But we can probably walk you through ripping your own games if you give us more information on your operating system, the tools you're using etc.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply and I did think it was the wrong thing to ask here, but with my Pandora

arriving now down to today I was getting desperate.

OK, I do not think I can rip my games as I use a Mac, I did find one way but it uses a program called

PrometeusPro 0.10.1, thing with this is that this program does not run on the latest OS.

I have spent since Saturday searching the net for a way, and found nothing really :(

Computer used.

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

OS Snow Leopard v10.6.6

I know I could run bootcamp and run an MS partition or drive, but really do not want to take that route just

to do this, because i have no other use for MS OS.
You could get a live image of Ubuntu for a usb stick, boot into that, and run the commands that Prometheus said at the first of this thread. You would have to use a usb stick to boot off of since you need your dvd-rom to rip the PS games with.

I know that a lot of people hate to hear 'just boot Linux' but in the end it might be the easiest thing to do.

EDIT: Maybe not, I usually use Unetbootin to make my live USB sticks to install Linux, the easiest way, and it appears it does not yet run in OSX.

There are other ways to create a live USB stick but I could never get them to work, gave up easy since I always had a CD-rom, and then when I got a computer without an optical drive I discovered Unetbootin.

i honestly don't know why you lot bother ripping your own games. go to a retro gaming site and get the ones you want ripped in whichever format you desire, with log files to tell you how they did it and the accuracy of each rip (if you really must know). ripping your own is just pointless when someone else has already done it for you (and probably to a better degree of accuracy too).

i honestly don't know why you lot bother ripping your own games. go to a retro gaming site and get the ones you want ripped in whichever format you desire, with log files to tell you how they did it and the accuracy of each rip (if you really must know). ripping your own is just pointless when someone else has already done it for you (and probably to a better degree of accuracy too).
Since that'd be illegal. Even if you own a legal copy of the game, it doesn't make it legal to download it. Same as if even if you are allowed to use medical marijuana, you are not allowed to buy it off the streets. Basically, it is all about how legal you want to be, and how much trouble you want to go through being so.

Hi

Can I ask what are the best files to use from these and in what order, best to worst ?

.img .iso .bin .mdf .mds

I have a mixture of the first three (img, iso, bin, along with their accompanying ccd/cue/sub files where applicable) and they all work fine.

Hi

Back