Ps3 = £425 Without A Game

declaration posted on May 20 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
DVD would 100% have taken off without the PS2 (although probably more slowly).
Blu-Ray may not take off even with the PS3.
Thats the difference.
Really? Because without hindsight, you would be able to say the same thing about the ps2 and dvd? Please.

You havent the faintest clue how Blu-ray will fare until the world gets a taste of it from a ps3. Im sure many people would have said the same thing about dvds when the concept was released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the way everybody suddenly becomes expert market analysts when this sort of thing is announced.

But the fact of the matter is, Sony are forcing Blu-ray on the consumer. If that's a good thing or not very much depends on how much you want high def DVD. Personally I've got a HDTV and can see myself getting a lot of use from a high def player, but I still don't want to pay £425 for one even if it is a PS3.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 21 2006 at 01:04 AM said:
declaration posted on May 20 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
DVD would 100% have taken off without the PS2 (although probably more slowly).
Blu-Ray may not take off even with the PS3.
Thats the difference.
Really? Because without hindsight, you would be able to say the same thing about the ps2 and dvd? Please.

You havent the faintest clue how Blu-ray will fare until the world gets a taste of it from a ps3. Im sure many people would have said the same thing about dvds when the concept was released.
Think about it. At the time the PS2 was released, people were still using VHS for gods sake. This is a format which had been around for many many years. People were also used to listening to CDs in CD quality sound and were used to watching better quality visuals on their TVs. The change to a higher quality optical format was inevitable.

The situation now is completely different. Most people I know (change that to everyone) are completely satisfied with DVD quality. I know a few people who have spent hundreds of pounds replacing their entire movie collections in DVD. They are not going to replace their collection again just five years later. Most people havent even got around to buying a DVD recorder yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the PS2 was released there was less competition to the format than there is to Blu-Ray today. We have HD DVD and also the growing market in downloaded video now.

Sony is using it's PS3 as a weapon in a format war. I personally dont feel the format will be nearly as succesful as DVD was simply because people are satisfied with DVD. Just as people never went to SACD because CD's are "good enough". Instead they stayed with CD or began using MP3s.

The other difference this time is that it wasnt Sony who helped the DVD format, rather the format which helped the console. Many people bought a PS2 because it played DVDs. These werent 'geeks' after the latest tech but rather families and students after a cheap DVD player. The format was accepted before the console was released. I can't see many mainstream customers buying a PS3 just for Blu-Ray.

People don't want a new optical format. I think Sony is taking a huge gamble at pricing the PS3 at £425 because it has Blu-Ray. I don't see it as much of a selling point because of the reasons above.

You put up a valid argument, but the fact remains that some people will love blu ray, and some will feel it's not necessary. Sony will sell consoles no matter what the price, especially if the new hardware includes a blu ray player. People are impressed with new stuff :rolleyes:

I remember I was pretty much indifferent about the dvd format when I picked up a ps2. When I tried it out it was another story, but I think you get the drift. You May be surprised at how many people buy a ps3 because of this.

When PS2 was released, you could already walk into walmart and find that half the movies they carry were on DVD. Same with rental stores like blockbuster. I remember seeing the first full wall of DVDs at blockbuster almost a year before the PS2 came out. People were already buying them.

now.. bluray? I dont even know where to find a movie, let alone a player. I dont expect this to change by years end either. DVD offered a huge jump from VHS, that anyone could benefit from and see. Bluray will only benefit those of us with HDTVs.

grahf posted on May 20 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
When PS2 was released, you could already walk into walmart and find that half the movies they carry were on DVD. Same with rental stores like blockbuster. I remember seeing the first full wall of DVDs at blockbuster almost a year before the PS2 came out. People were already buying them.

now.. bluray? I dont even know where to find a movie, let alone a player. I dont expect this to change by years end either. DVD offered a huge jump from VHS, that anyone could benefit from and see. Bluray will only benefit those of us with HDTVs.

I agree. I see the sign of BlueRay becoming SACD also from Sony that's going no where...Definitely the similarity is there. I'm buying PS3 in hope of finally having my entertainment hub that links all my gaming need, digital photos, avi movies, and web browsing to my TV. If somehow Sony successfuly pull that off, my PC will start collecting dust and MS will lose one sale on their Windows Vista. To me, BlueRay is a nice extra, but I'm not appreciating the fact that BlueRay driver is the reason for $600 pricetag. BlueRay is more of a burden rather than an asset for PS3.

Goity posted on May 21 2006 at 06:22 AM said:
Think of it as a game storage medium.

I think of it as an unnecessarily large and expensive game storage medium. Companies are still not filling up DVD-9s, and when they get to that point, I really don't have a problem with swapping discs on the occasional game. It didn't bother me on the PSX, it won't bother me now.

*reads thread and feels glad he went to his mates "lets smash up sony and microsoft stuff in the street" convention* a sledge hamer and microwave have never been put to such good use.

Don't anyone hold their breath hoping for a quick price reduction on the PS3. If the PSP is any kind of a sign, it has been about a year now since its release and the only thing that has happened is a stripped down package. The PS3 will have a stripped down version, hardware wise, from the beginning. You might see the PS3 out for a couple of years before any price reduction and it will be probably small at first. (No pun intended but) That is the price you pay for new technology. Nintendo clinging to old technology and focusing on gaming are in a better position to lower costs. The DS in the states right now is $119 USD. It has been through several price reductions. :huh:

the blu ray drive makes it future proof as well so in time games can make use of the format...

Also, if you are realy pissed about the price, why not get a money saving tin which cannot be opened and bang £10 a week in for a year or so then you will have more than enough for it ;)...

Steve-O posted on May 21 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
the blu ray drive makes it future proof as well so in time games can make use of the format...

Also, if you are realy pissed about the price, why not get a money saving tin which cannot be opened and bang £10 a week in for a year or so then you will have more than enough for it ;)...
Or instead I could buy a 360, a Wii, and a new video card and not waste my money on a PS3 like a chump.

Ravnos posted on May 21 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
Steve-O posted on May 21 2006 at 03:07 PM said:

Or instead I could buy a 360, a Wii, and a new video card and not waste my money on a PS3 like a chump.
Im buying one, so does that make me a chump? ;)

No. I just know what the superior system will be :p

Yes, but a Wii, 360, and video card are less than a Wii, PS3 and 360, and I usually get all the major consoles. I don't see any reason to get a PS3 unless I can get one that "fell off a truck". There's just no value for the money compared to what the competition is offering.

Back