Psp Scene Dead ??

my mates just explained it to me and it is possible that it will fuck up the psp because the chip that the bios is on is meant for being written to and overwritten time and time again so it eventually wears it down, just like using a memory stick, the more times you copy to it and delete shit the quicker it dies.sucks :-(

Why don't you just use Fanjita's EBOOT loader if you only want to run homebrew and GTA. He is making great advancements in it. He can now use WiFi now. Maybe he is getting close to being able to use Kernal Mode?

my mates just explained it to me and it is possible that it will fuck up the psp because the chip that the bios is on is meant for being written to and overwritten time and time again so it eventually wears it down, just like using a memory stick, the more times you copy to it and delete shit the quicker it dies.sucks :-(

whilst this is true i would hazard that your in more danger of the psp breaking before that chip gets worn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently you can only do this a limited amount of times. I heard the closer you get to 100 re-flashes the closer you get to bricking your PSP.

This is just another one of those bullshit rumours started by scaremongerers.

Probably the same people that started the rumour that if you upgraded from the GTA UMD you couldn't downgrade again, this has proved to be bollocks as well.

I will be downgrading my PSP again as soon as I have finished playing GTA so I can continue with the hombrew scene which IMO is still going strong.

It wouldn't suprise me to find that Sony is behind this rumour somewhere along the lines...

The memory used for the FW wasnt ment to be written and rewritten like a harddrive. Plus remember this is sony we're talking about you really think they're going to use a chip that can be rewritten indefinatly when they can use a cheaper chip that will do for their purposes of only a few dozen rewrites in the systems life time?

I don't doubt you can reflash your system a bunch of times without a problem though, I just think you're still running a risk of somthing happening every time you do it and the more you do it the greater the risk.

I just got tired of all the bullshit personally, the PSP scene might not be "dead" but it's a pathetic and petty scene with very few really cool applications and I didn't pay 250 bucks for this thing to spend hours looking for something to justify hanging on to homebrew. I want to play games, I want to play them against other people on the fly with Wifi without wasting time trying to hunt down hacks. I want to use it as it was intended more than I want to use it as it wasn't intended and THAT is why I gave up on PSP homebrew.

The memory used for the FW wasnt ment to be written and rewritten like a harddrive. Plus remember this is sony we're talking about you really think they're going to use a chip that can be rewritten indefinatly when they can use a cheaper chip that will do for their purposes of only a few dozen rewrites in the systems life time?

I don't doubt you can reflash your system a bunch of times without a problem though, I just think you're still running a risk of somthing happening every time you do it and the more you do it the greater the risk.

I just got tired of all the bullshit personally, the PSP scene might not be "dead" but it's a pathetic and petty scene with very few really cool applications and I didn't pay 250 bucks for this thing to spend hours looking for something to justify hanging on to homebrew. I want to play games, I want to play them against other people on the fly with Wifi without wasting time trying to hunt down hacks. I want to use it as it was intended more than I want to use it as it wasn't intended and THAT is why I gave up on PSP homebrew.

Amen to that!

I didn`t bought my psp for emulation, thats what I have my gp32 and soon my gp2x for, psp is for comercial games, I`m really looking forward to buy GTA!

I didn`t bought my psp for emulation, thats what I have my gp32 and soon my gp2x for, psp is for comercial games, I`m really looking forward to buy GTA!
AGREED!!!

im still trying to figure out why this forum kinda complains when the majority of us own a real emulation handheld. its ok for a sole psp owned to complain, but we have the koolest handheld out there. YES!

all three

most of the time its fastloader, easiest with the highest compatibility.

for some of the newer games, like harry potter, work arounds have been found for crashing by using dev hook

for really finicky games, e.g. death jr, i use umd emulator, however i'm the most wary of this one as it stopped my tenchi browser working for a while, had to a restore to default thing from the psp menu before it would work again.

check out www.psp-hacks.com for all three (fastloader, devhook, umd emulator), not sure if www.psp-archive.de has them.

okay, cheers. Is there anyway around the "youve got to have a umd in the drive thing" that i get with fastloader, or am i simply going to ahve to go out and buy something? also, is the wab version changer thing that fools games into thinking your on 2.0 on www.psp-hacks.com?

The PSP scene isn't dead it's just not as crazy as it used to be. Still plenty of updates.

To answer your question loz_the_guru, the best loader is UMDemulator 0.8c. To play games without a UMD you'll need to use UMDemulator first and than devhook. I think i wrote a guide on it somewhere in the forums on GG, if not let me know and I'll post one.

The scene is about as active as GP32s for most of it's life. And most of the emulators people made are pretty much complete.The only thing most of them need is netplay, which is going to be included in the next release of SNES TYL.

Loz, joking aside, is it really okay here to talk about stealing games so openly? I thought we weren't supposed to talk about downloading roms, let alone complaining about 'HAVING' to buy a game...?

I mean, really????

afaik the rules merely state that we musn't publish rom sites.

a bad example i know, but no one would mind if i was here asking what the best megadrive emu for the gp32 was would they?

@ lubidog. Theres no legal objection, just a moral one. It does seem a bit harsh i agree, but its not like im doing something others cant. Ill probably end up buying psp games (especially if the £3 pirate UMD reports coming out of thailand prove to be true :p), but as its coming up to christmas and my student loan is nearly exhausted, id like something to play just for now.

@ gamers galaxy: Cant seem to find it, would you mind publishing a link here or something? Cheers

Back