Psx Running On The Gp2x

i think this emu is based on pcsx.. but im not 100% sure.
and the gp2x cant do MMX, SSE or SSE2! it is a ARM CPU

got some questions:

does it have to be a .bin file as in bin/cue format or just an iso renamed to .bin?

Also I've never got passed the green screeen yet, should it at least show the bios even if the game itself crashes?

no it doesnt show the bios, it just uses the code of it to start the games.

abigsmurf posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:23 PM said:
got some questions:

does it have to be a .bin file as in bin/cue format or just an iso renamed to .bin?

Also I've never got passed the green screeen yet, should it at least show the bios even if the game itself crashes?
it stays green until a game loads , (no bios screen) , it doesnt seem to do anything then the game loads , and I think renaming iso to bin is all thats needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pixman posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:18 PM said:
Besides, would you SERIOUSLY play something which doesn't run at FULL speed?
I definately wouldn't... just not so much fun. ;)
They have been doing that for quite a while.

I think that you need to remember that this is really really early on, there will be lots more speed optimizations possible as the GP2x matures.

I havent tried it as I dont have an PSX games but it actually running games at such a early stage can only be a good thing.

I think the optimizing for certain (popular) games would be a good idea and I expect maybe easier to get decent speeds.

Man..........you have a logo? Because if not.......

4e26210e.png

Rayek posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:41 AM said:
davec is a notorious negative nancy. while he may be right in a lot of cases, he likes to dash people's hopes with harsh reality. i, personally don't see a problem with it because sometimes devs prove naysayers completely wrong and it is a wonderful thing when nancies' arguments get thrown against the wall. without them, how would we move on? (sarcasm :))

No it is just reality that is all. You got kids here thinking that it will be full speed at 30 FPS with sound someday. That is just not possible on a 200 MHz ARM system, it is physics not magic. Hell we can't even get full speed SNES with sound, let alone PSX, and SNES runs at like 10 times slower with no 3D. You guys need to come down to earth a bit here that is all. If you like playing games with super choppy framerates, slow, and with no sound that take up most of your SD card then have fun.

I just can't believe how mental everyone goes when a PSX "emulator" is mentioned even knowing it will never be full speed. It is almost like everyone cares more about choppy and slow PSX emus more than anything else that could *actually be* fullspeed, it is just weird, I don't get it.

DaveC posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:38 PM said:
No it is just reality that is all. You got kids here thinking that it will be full speed at 30 FPS with sound someday. That is just not possible on a 200 MHz ARM system, it is physics not magic. Hell we can't even get full speed SNES with sound, let alone PSX, and SNES runs at like 10 times slower with no 3D. You guys need to come down to earth a bit here that is all. If you like playing games with super choppy framerates, slow, and with no sound that take up most of your SD card then have fun.

I just can't believe how mental everyone goes when a PSX "emulator" is mentioned even knowing it will never be full speed. It is almost like everyone cares more about choppy and slow PSX emus more than anything else that could *actually be* fullspeed, it is just weird, I don't get it.

It's what everyone's been dreaming of for the past few months.

So, like, go away.

I agree with DAVEC.....whats the "excitment" in somthing that is totally unplayable.....doesnt interest me whatsoever really. Lets get back to getting the emulators that WILL work with the specs up to speed and with sound.

Fuck all this psx emulated shit.....yeah its good to know it works but come on its not playable.

[/quote]

So I guess you don't want to play my xbox360 emulator then?

DaveC posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:38 PM said:

Thing is, a lot of us don't need "full speed". Sure, I'd love a full speed SNES emulator, then I could play some of the more action oriented SNES games without hinderence. But I generally prefer RPGs, where I really don't care if it's only running at ~10fps after optimisation. Framerate!=Fun. Though I'll admit that lack of sound is a hinderance in many of the RPGs out there (FF wouldn't be FF without Uematsu's score), I don't think ~10fps with sound will too far off.

You keep saying you don't understand all the excitement over this - I think one thing you forget is that NOBODY expected even this level of PSX emulation this year. Here it is, many of us don't even have our units yet, and there's already an emulator we weren't expecting untill middle of next year at best. When someone comes along and blows away everyone's expectations, you can expect a massive, positive response.

-OCA|

reallynotnick posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:50 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 3 2005 at 12:38 PM said:

So I guess you don't want to play my xbox360 emulator then?

He won't want to play my Xbox1080 emulator either. It only runs at 100fps, which is half of the Xbox1080's 200fps.

I'm not being very nice, am I?

nickspoon posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
It's what everyone's been dreaming of for the past few months.

So, like, go away.

Really? Everyone has been dreaming of slow, choppy silent unplayable "emulators"? Why? what is the point? I guess you can't wait for the upcomming Xbox and PS2 emulators that run at 1 frame per month :rolleyes:

Grow up everyone.....everyone has different opinions....if we all licked each others arses life would be boring. DAVEC is stating what he thinks thats all....i agree with him.

Get the emualtors that we know can work full speed with sound FIRST then anything that comes along after is a bonus.

What you are failing to see here is that there are lots of devs, and they each want to do their own thing. Being a dev myself, I have no interest in emulation development whatsoever, but playing them is fun.

So, if zodttd wants to make a PSX emulator, let him. Other devs can work on other emulators.

OCA| posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:51 PM said:
You keep saying you don't understand all the excitement over this - I think one thing you forget is that NOBODY expected even this level of PSX emulation this year. Here it is, many of us don't even have our units yet, and there's already an emulator we weren't expecting untill middle of next year at best. When someone comes along and blows away everyone's expectations, you can expect a massive, positive response.

-OCA|

I expected it. I saw it on the zodiac and the same guy said he was getting a GP2X so...

You have to remember a port is pretty quick. Just because he got it working in 2 days doesn't mean it will be running twice as fast in 4 days. With emulators the quickest improvements come soon and then as you start hitting hardware limitations the increases in speed become less and less and the work becomes greater to get those smaller increases. It is what is called diminishing returns. It will eventually reach a point where no more can be done with the current hardware spec.

Back