Psx Running On The Gp2x

I would definitely play something at less than full speed... as long as it's playable, who gives a damn? Of course "playable" is a relative thing. For action games, you normally need more FPS than you would for an RPG in order for "playability".

If FF7 and BoF III (maybe even IV) work then I would play them even at a flipbook kinda rate :p

But seriously, how fast is this likely to ever get? Has it perhaps reached something near its max capacity already? It's pretty damn good as it is... but is there likely to be a "significant" increase in the future? Say, 10 FPS? Or is that expecting too much?

Once more: Incredible work Zodttd :)

Pixman posted on Dec 3 2005 at 07:18 AM said:
I doubt extremely, that there will be a full-speed PSX emulator.
You can optimize what you want, I believe the GP2X just hasn't enough power... and the GP2X has no FPU which is a clear point that makes me believe that :(

Seriously guys, don't get your pants wetted too early :rolleyes:
Besides, would you SERIOUSLY play something which doesn't run at FULL speed?
I definately wouldn't... just not so much fun. ;)
I wish this baby had a LITTLE BIT more power ... PSX portable would be just too great.
What are you, DaveC's little brother? Stop complaining and bask in the greatness.

The PSX wasn't nearly as fast machine as the GP2X, and before you get your panties in a wad about architecture and dedicated chips, just note that anything's possible if you try hard enough ;) . Now, I admit that 60fps with 44100kHz CD sound is pretty impossible, but who needs that? 15fps is more than playable for most games, and sound isn't that hard to implement afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know if its allready posted but GTA 1 goes ingame, but there its totally buggy: Stick doesnt work, so i could only run straight forward. after i entered a car it and tried to drive, it was beamed into water and explode.
anyway, its awesome to see psx on the gp2x.
I also tried:
Tony Hawk = Doesnt work, just black screen
Side by Side = Doesnt work, just green screen

wild_eyed posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
would it be possible to optimize an emulator so that it would run one game at full speed or at least really well. cause if we picked the ten o twenty best psx games, different versions of the emu could be compiled to run the different games.

i vote final fantasy 7
vagrant story
and xenogears. all cunts i bet

update: vagrant does not wok, after green screen, the sceen goes black, forcing a reboot.
I believe Bleemcast! worked from this principle. (Bleem! for Dreamcast. Had special versions for Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid, atleast...)

holy shit, this would be awesome if it was done!

where do i send the paypal donations!?

and yeah, this would be a huge selling point for the gp2x

mmm the system still can't play full speed snes games and here you lot are getting excited about 7fps psOne ;) lol

It's a good tech demo but i doubt the gp2x has the horse power under the hood to do more than 15fps if that :)

there are more than a few games which are playable at 50% speeds. Azure Dreams in particular springs to mind (loved that game)

You could also play Lunar SSSC although you're missing out without the movies and sound.

Pixman posted on Dec 3 2005 at 07:18 AM said:
I doubt extremely, that there will be a full-speed PSX emulator.
You can optimize what you want, I believe the GP2X just hasn't enough power... and the GP2X has no FPU which is a clear point that makes me believe that :(

Seriously guys, don't get your pants wetted too early :rolleyes:
Besides, would you SERIOUSLY play something which doesn't run at FULL speed?
I definately wouldn't... just not so much fun. ;)
I wish this baby had a LITTLE BIT more power ... PSX portable would be just too great.

I can see myself playing things at half or qurter speed, and it IS fun. Some games you don't need every 60th frame in that precious second. Like FF7 ^ __ ^

The impossible happens way before alot of people even get their handhelds- this was supposed to happen in a year. So in one year, what exactly do you think this is gonna look like? :- P

Edit: Also, this is a port, if we did a little bit of optimization (assembly code for the renderer/interpereter) it can very well get good framerates on the GP2X's hardware.

abigsmurf posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
there are more than a few games which are playable at 50% speeds. Azure Dreams in particular springs to mind (loved that game)

You could also play Lunar SSSC although you're missing out without the movies and sound.
Heh, I had like +100 wooden sword and shield... Doesn't rust. :D

15FPS would be fine for most RPGs. I would be shocked (in a good way) if it could get up to 15FPS.

I'm speaking as someone who has played the first 2 discs of FF8 on a shitty old computer, with a max frame rate in game and on menus of about 5-7 FPS.

Also, by way of a comparison test, I got out ePSXe and ran BoF III with the max frame rate set as 15FPS, and frameskipping enabled to compensate in terms of timing (i'd rather play with missing frames than at a quarter the speed in terms of actual time). So... it was choppy, because of the frameskip, and definitely not "smooth" animation, but I would definitely see it as "playable". I wouldn't fancy playing an action game with those sorts of speeds though. Unfortunately, the lowest max frame rate setting for the render plugin is 10FPS so I couldn't view a 6-7FPS, and those posted videos don't work for me.

OTOH, it may be too much to hope for 15FPS, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

EDIT:
Edit: Also, this is a port, if we did a little bit of optimization (assembly code for the renderer/interpereter) it can very well get good framerates on the GP2X's hardware.

Good point... the description on the file archives also points out that it currently uses software scaling. With optimisations and so forth (and taking advantage of the second processor etc)... who knows? I would guess that when we are talking in such low FPS already, even slight boosts of 1 or 2 FPS on average are signifigant improvements. Could this benefit signifigantly from HH?

Also- is it open source? Or will it be in the future?

Zodttd,

The hardware scalar on the GP2X seems on paper to be fairly quick and robust.
In practice tests people have had it working in what seems like a normal RGB mode as well as the officially supported Y/Cb/Cr mode (I have a hacky demo I knocked up somewhere doing just that under Linux).

If you want some help playing with the scalar then pop into #GP2XDEV on EfNet and I am sure a few of us may be able to help you get working code.

You may also want to take a peek at some of the source files from the GP2X’s Linux kernel like this one for a little code based info :D.

zodttd got his emu on the 200mhz zodiac running at up to 20fps in certain games (the same clock speed as what he is probably getting from the gp2x atm), so if that is possible what could be achieved, in time on a system which can possibly overclock to 266mhz.......x2 plus has masses of ram and other tricks up it's sleeve?

Jarska333 posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
Does not the zodiac have a GPU? Anyways, what kind of compatibility does it have?

The zodiac has a 2D graphic accelerator made by ATI. It doesn't do 3D

I dont know much about anything, but is it possible to port a linux version of PCSX(A current working emulator) to GP2X? Or at least attempt to copy methods of rendering or interpreting. This depends ofcourse if the GP2X can handle MMX or SSE and SSE2.

Back