Pyra Blender File

D-pad and nubs in a different color looks weird to me.

Thank you, what tools in did you use to change colors?
I used Gimp, I just selected the D-pad, numbs, changed their color in first part, and changed the case's color in a second part. You only have to play with the color settings now. The result is not as nice as FelixNemis one but we can have a little preview.

Last edited by a moderator:
These renders have helped confirm my suspicion that you want the d-pad and nubs to match the colour of the game buttons.  So those should be a shade of grey, although if the render is correct and the plastic covers will provide a lightening effect to the game buttons from many angles, perhaps a lighter grey would match best.

The dark red case looks better than I was expecting though, so either that, dark grey or black for the case colour would probably suit me.

Ah, they're not embedded into the Blender file then?Okay, I can upload them later.

Sweet

Does anyone dare to do a dark red Pyra case, buttons and nubs, d-pad etc in either black or silver/grey with this file?Pretty please? 

In the mean time here's a quick render (15 minutes) with a poorly aligned keymat

View attachment 12341
Looks great. I'm sold on it. Fausts blue looks quite nice too.

Updated the file to reflect the keymat changes and included the needed pictures.
Simply redownload :)

Here's Red, Blue, Purple, and C64-ish :)   (For somebody who doesn't use Blender, it's not exactly user/beginner friendly!)

Image1.png

Image3.png

Image4.png

Image6.png

Attachments

• Image8.png
    Image8.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 157
Red and purple look nice.
However a dark green would surely be great, too.

That color is retro :D For a thick and not so pretty device, it is quite a good fit ! I could see myself with that Pyra, being sure nobody will try to steal it from me.
Yeah, I actually quite like that after I saw it... The dark red looked good too.

Here's some higher luminance editions (and a grey)...

Image9.png

Image10.png

Image11.png

Image12.png

Image13.png

Image14.png

Image15.png

Image16.png

This thread is starting to hurt my eyes :p .

So far I like the grey one the best, the rest just makes it look like a toy.

Yay, gunmetal grey!  Although I'm not sure if I actually prefer it against the maroon red now that I see it :)

I note those game buttons look a bit flush against the surface, but I expect the keymat is probably a 2d image with bump mapping in that blender file, and those buttons are so far off centre that they don't light up at all so go back to looking a bit 2d.  I guess they'll stand about as proud as the d-pad does from the surface - but can we get any measurements out of the blender file?

Also, the dock discussions have got me thinking about the ports round the back.  Could anyone prepare a render of the back and bottom of the unit, preferably in a brightish colour?

I used Gimp, I just selected the D-pad, numbs, changed their color in first part, and changed the case's color in a second part. You only have to play with the color settings now. The result is not as nice as FelixNemis one but we can have a little preview.

Yeah, I meant what tools in gimp do you use to select and change the color, because I can't do that, keeping the texture.

Also, the dock discussions have got me thinking about the ports round the back.  Could anyone prepare a render of the back and bottom of the unit, preferably in a brightish colour?

I am not concerned about the dock, I just want to see the back with the buttons and ports because I am curious.

Can we also get a picture from the front or side with it closed?  I would like to see how the top and bottom look when they meet up since both seem to be rounded.  Perhaps a side pic will be better...I think I am seeing where some changes were made on the lid near the top outer edges (front outer edges on the main body), but it just looks weird from these angles.

Yeah, I meant what tools in gimp do you use to select and change the color, because I can't do that, keeping the texture.

"Colors" -> "Hue-Saturation" or "Colorize". I think both work.

Purple and dark grey above look nice.

Back/bottom looks good.  Too bad we can't plug some headphones in and add some hands holding it. :p

From this angle it looks like I may be imagining what I thought I saw near the front/top (I tried lining up a piece of paper with the edges and everything looks straight). 

Here's Red, Blue, Purple, and C64-ish :)   (For somebody who doesn't use Blender, it's not exactly user/beginner friendly!)

View attachment 12352

Oh man, I really like this. It suits the bulky shape of the device very well!
The only thing missing are the grill lines that can be seen on top of each c64, running from 1 speaker to the other on the Pyra. :wub:
I like this far better than any of the bright color renders as can be seen above and less ordinary/dull than black or grey. It does not look like a toy at all like this imo. More like some military device or something.
Anyway, unlike clear plastic or some bright color, this I would not be ashamed of being seen with.

"Colors" -> "Hue-Saturation" or "Colorize". I think both work.

Thanks.

Finally I can use blender on my pc, (had a malware which used 99% UC).

Anthracite (3a3d42)

Badass Black
black.png

Classy Brown (483c2e)
Coffee _Chocolate.png

Damn, it really sems to not work correctly with old blender 2.49, I only get the wireframe must investigate more.
Well nice renderings guys but please: add more lights! :D
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Attic:Old/Manual/PartV/Pseudo-Global_Illumination
Use global illumination (ambient occlusion) or fake it (in Blender, you have to fake alot) there is an GI option in the world settings somewhere, it need high res and more AA to look not to noisy but it works. Not sure where this option is in the new Blender versions. But you also can have good results with 3 lights, up and front, back lights.

Back