Pyra Release date - Make your Guess here.

December 6th 2016
No. NO! I hate December 6th! So I'll guess optimisticly it's gonna be December 5th 2016 - my hope is that it'll be released before Christmas 2016, so anything before December 23rd 2016 would already make me happy. As long as it isn't December 6th.
My official date for the non-existing raffle: December 5th 2016.

Sept 6th 2016. Day I start fall classes. Would be just my luck

As much as I'd like to have a Pyra in my hands this year, as those projects go I wouldn't be suprised if it takes another year to get all the kinks ironed out, have feedback from devs and prototype users, integrate those, stumble over some last minute changes and opportunities, and get the production running smoothly.

So my guess is June 1, 2017. Incidentally the final day of my current day job project, and the point in time after which I'll have more time to spare :cool:

As much as I'd like to have a Pyra in my hands this year, as those projects go I wouldn't be suprised if it takes another year to get all the kinks ironed out, have feedback from devs and prototype users, integrate those, stumble over some last minute changes and opportunities, and get the production running smoothly.

So my guess is June 1, 2017. Incidentally the final day of my current day job project, and the point in time after which I'll have more time to spare :cool:

Comparing the state the pyra is in compared to the pandora I would say this year is probable for the first units.

(in other words when the pandora was at this stage it hit the market in a few months)

I dare suggest that it NEEDS to be this year, or the 700 that've sold will be the last. There's already an uphill battle, if the GPD Win is released soon and doesn't completely suck, and the Pyra is plagued by long delays, that hill will become a cliff.
The only thing that would save it then would be for the GPD Win to not live up to its ideal and for someone to review the Pyra favourably against it, literally saying "Don't get a Win, get a Pyra instead" and that'll be a hard thing to accomplish.
I want the Pyra to be as good as it can possibly get, but I also want it to be a success, and it can't be if it spends months in refactor hell.

I cant help but think more products in the space is a good thing. Clamshell UMPCs have been a dying thing, let alone gaming clamshell UMPCs which was restricted to one. Interest has waned massively.

I don't know, maybe I'm envisaging a scenario where one restaraunt in an alley fails, but multiple restaraunts in the alley become a success as the alley gets known as a spot to eat and attracts a large crowd. The analogy being one product may not cut it as something to be noticed, but more than one might spark intrerest again.

As for the timing of the WIN, I think they are on a fixed time frame, that being a launch in October. Mind you, a number of sites will have pre-orders for it well before then. Another crowd funding in China is coming in June (maybe one in Japan also, and pre-orders will open up for it on Chinese tech sites like Geekbuying etc probably June-August some time

My guess is that the PYRA comes out in October also.

Last edited:
My guess is September 15th 2016. It's more a wish though, middle of October seems more realistic to me as well.
I cant help but think more products in the space is a good thing. Clamshell UMPCs have been a dying thing, let alone gaming clamshell UMPCs which was restricted to one. Interest has waned massively.

I don't know, maybe I'm envisaging a scenario where one restaraunt in an alley fails, but multiple restaraunts in the alley become a success as the alley gets known as a spot to eat and attracts a large crowd. The analogy being one product may not cut it as something to be noticed, but more than one migh spark intrerest again.

I hope you're right, but I don't really see it being like this. All those negative comments on news sites may have skewed my view on the situation, but I fear the Win (or other similar devices) won't help the Pyra.

19. January 2038 at 03:14:08 UTC, when the UNIX Time overflows. Maybe i'm a bit Pessimistic.;)
<serious>17. October 2016</serious>

No. NO! I hate December 6th! So I'll guess optimisticly it's gonna be December 5th 2016 - my hope is that it'll be released before Christmas 2016, so anything before December 23rd 2016 would already make me happy. As long as it isn't December 6th.
My official date for the non-existing raffle: December 5th 2016.
Ha, December 6th is my birthday! That's why I picked it.

Comparing the state the pyra is in compared to the pandora I would say this year is probable for the first units.

(in other words when the pandora was at this stage it hit the market in a few months)

When Craigix was running the show, or when ED was building them in Germany? When Craig built the first units, it was a very slow drip feed of units out, and I'm sure we can't use that as an indication of when hundreds are likely to be sent out. When ED built the units there was no plan to modify the case or the PCB, while there is still refactoring (of the case at least) to be done here.

But yeah, I'd hope also for some time later this year. I can't immediately see what could happen to stop that.

When Craigix was running the show, or when ED was building them in Germany? When Craig built the first units, it was a very slow drip feed of units out, and I'm sure we can't use that as an indication of when hundreds are likely to be sent out. When ED built the units there was no plan to modify the case or the PCB, while there is still refactoring (of the case at least) to be done here.

But yeah, I'd hope also for some time later this year. I can't immediately see what could happen to stop that.

I keep forgeting I was one of the very early ones that got one when the first ones were released... that gives me a warped view

Dec 3rd 2016 for first 200 batch. 800 preorders to be fulfilled by April 2017.
Why would the first batch be 200? If the preorder queue freezes where it is up until the release date (as unlikely as that is), the first batch will be 500 units, with the next batch following on shortly. If we can build up to 950 preorders (just another 158 preorders) then the first batch will be 1000 units.

I guess ED and his team might only be able to build a few dozen Pyras each day (though hopefully it'll be much quicker to put together than the Pandora was), so it won't be 500+ units in the mail on day one, but they should all go out within a month if my estimation is correct.

Back