Pyra Release date - Make your Guess here.

Why would the first batch be 200? If the preorder queue freezes where it is up until the release date (as unlikely as that is), the first batch will be 500 units, with the next batch following on shortly. If we can build up to 950 preorders (just another 158 preorders) then the first batch will be 1000 units.

I guess ED and his team might only be able to build a few dozen Pyras each day (though hopefully it'll be much quicker to put together than the Pandora was), so it won't be 500+ units in the mail on day one, but they should all go out within a month if my estimation is correct.

I just assumed there would be some kind of teething issues, so that ED does 200 units in the first run, rather than a full 500. (To limit financial exposure for defects) Of course it could be that all the parts are available, and there is no unexpected hiccups with new memory configuration or case issues etc, and it all just goes perfectly.

In an unprecedented step, ED has actually mentioned a date. No, not main batch. In his most recent news post, he stated that he plans to produce the Prototype-Pre-Order batch in August. So there may be a Pyra shipment to a paid buyer in...

2 Months.

I just assumed there would be some kind of teething issues, so that ED does 200 units in the first run, rather than a full 500. (To limit financial exposure for defects) Of course it could be that all the parts are available, and there is no unexpected hiccups with new memory configuration or case issues etc, and it all just goes perfectly.

That's be a reasonable expectation if ED and the team hadn't been working on getting it working right first time. He's been a lot more thorough than someone else we could mention, so it should be more like when Samsung release a new phone. And instead of their being a Pyra 2 the next year, instead there will be a new CPU board. And I guess if some fault with the peripheral board or the case is found down the line, new versions of those can be released for anyone who cares enough.

One thing is for sure, the wait is a lot easier this time, as I have a Pandora. For my own needs, the 1Ghz Pandora really does pretty much everything I require, but the attraction of a new shiny Pyra was too much to ignore. :)

Dec 3rd 2016 for first 200 batch. 800 preorders to be fulfilled by April 2017.

Whilst there are no "Batches" as such, I still reckon we have a chance to see some "Production" Pyra in December, but maybe not as many as 200. I'm thinking April 2017 still looks possible for the pre-order queue. Maybe a bit optimistic, but I don't know which of the current issue list is the most time consuming. Is the case now final?

I'm dreaming that I'll have mine before the 1 year anniversary of laying down the money for Pre-Pre-Prototype-Order #8. That would be October 19th for those keeping score. It may still be possible. If the 2nd prototype production run goes well, if the case mods go well, maybe.

Whilst there are no "Batches" as such, I still reckon we have a chance to see some "Production" Pyra in December, but maybe not as many as 200.
There will still be batches, or at least production runs. It's how ED ensures the right number of parts of everything is ordered. The first production run will most likely be 1000 units, but given the time it'll take to put those together, the parts for the next chunk of 1000 will be being produced by the supplying companies, its predicted those parts will be ready by the time the next batch assembly starts, so in practice batches should disappear when viewed as a customer.

What happens after that second run of 1000 is left as an exercise for the reader though.

I'm feeling rather jaded lately... remembered this thread... couldn't remember what my estimate was... looked it up... got depressed.

Well my prediction is still holding true.

Your estimate is the only one left if I'm tracking right, but are you getting nervous yet? 1 year left.....

Wow, this is an interesting thread to look back on. I was almost certain that at least some would get sent out this year, but I've given up expecting anything any time soon.

The thread starter seems to have given up completely after 2015.
To be honest, I'm thinking about a refund atm since my use case has changed and I have finally gotten a smartphone last year since I really needed the functions the Pyra was supposed to fulfill for me.

To be honest, I'm thinking about a refund atm since my use case has changed and I have finally gotten a smartphone last year since I really needed the functions the Pyra was supposed to fulfill for me.

That would be a real shame considering how long you've been waiting. It's only two more months after all ;)

Reactions: rSl

Yep me too. I had held off on a computer waiting for the Pyra but ended up buying a chromebook on cyber Monday.

Linux and android in one.

I'm sure it really will be soon now, it doesn't seem like there's THAT much left to do. And I know that's been said before, but now all the hardware seems to be working, and the case molds are at the new company. Prototypes still have to be distributed I think, but it seems like that's about it.

3tygtk.jpg

I'm sure it really will be soon now, it doesn't seem like there's THAT much left to do. And I know that's been said before, but now all the hardware seems to be working, and the case molds are at the new company. Prototypes still have to be distributed I think, but it seems like that's about it.

See the thing about it being "2 Months™" away is that it truly does feel like everything left to do can be done in 2 months each time it's said or felt. Believe me, I'm an optimist as well. Except new problems are found, and more unforeseen things are added to the "things left to do list" each time.

Just as an example, for the current snapshot in time we haven't heard about the cases yet. That news was put out about... a couple weeks ago saying 'more info soon'. ED will come in probably in the next week or two and give the status of the cases and paint a picture that everything involving the project will realistically be done in 2 months. He will then post an update a month later with the latest things to be done and the new issues that will again realistically be done in two months from that date.

You can go back through the entire history of this project, and the pandora project, look at each update in isolation, seperate yourself from current knowledge and understanding of the issues that did arise from each update, and watch the above cycle over and over and over. It's coming, sure, I have no doubt, and someday one of those "2 months" predictions will be correct, but you can not say definitively that this 2 months predictions will be the last.

EDIT: example look at this update https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/case-closed.82742/ or https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/it-could-be-were-there.82192/

looks good, felt like 2 months from being done right? That was from may and december the year before, there are plenty of foresight you can do to say, "oh but you didn't consider x, y, z etc."

Last edited:
For the first time since pre-pre-ordering I'm seriously considering cancelling my order.
It doesn't feel that close to me, but probably more importantly I don't really retro game like I did when I bought the GP32/GP2X/Pandora (from Craig's shop many moons ago!!)

I think there might be other small mini-PC devices more suited to my tech requirements - possibly the One Mix 2S.
Of course, an update showing progress and maybe a video of what the Pyra is capable of might persuade me to stick the wait out......we'll see :D

See the thing about it being "2 Months™" away is that it truly does feel like everything left to do can be done in 2 months each time it's said or felt. Believe me, I'm an optimist as well. Except new problems are found, and more unforeseen things are added to the "things left to do list" each time.

Just as an example, for the current snapshot in time we haven't heard about the cases yet. That news was put out about... a couple weeks ago saying 'more info soon'. ED will come in probably in the next week or two and give the status of the cases and paint a picture that everything involving the project will realistically be done in 2 months. He will then post an update a month later with the latest things to be done and the new issues that will again realistically be done in two months from that date.

You can go back through the entire history of this project, and the pandora project, look at each update in isolation, seperate yourself from current knowledge and understanding of the issues that did arise from each update, and watch the above cycle over and over and over. It's coming, sure, I have no doubt, and someday one of those "2 months" predictions will be correct, but you can not say definitively that this 2 months predictions will be the last.

EDIT: example look at this update https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/case-closed.82742/ or https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/it-could-be-were-there.82192/

looks good, felt like 2 months from being done right? That was from may and december the year before, there are plenty of foresight you can do to say, "oh but you didn't consider x, y, z etc."
I don't know though! I don't think the cases are gonna be an issue anymore, the new company is much better than the other one. And as long as the hardware passes these tests, I think it's done. Of course something could still happen, but I don't know about that.

Back