Release Quake2 Nanogl

quake 1 was at 800x480 too.

I think 600 Mhz and 110 Mhz is the sweet stop right now. Its apparent the SGX is the bottleneck. Thats not too much of an overclock on the cortex.

As for Neon ive been using the code sourcery 2008q3, which sounds like it needs a major update. Its sounds like I was lucky to even get it running with no errors. I think some improvements here could help a lot. Its sounds like on the symbian phones (where nanogl comes from) the vfp helps a lot. The nanogl author said the highest fps he saw was 40 fps.

'Butterman' said:
Hey Laurent, you don't like OC? Enjoy getting ripped off when you buy a new PC!

I enjoy stability more than performance. I guess it's probably because I don't need to measure my penis and that I always buy hardware that fits my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocking is fine but i hate those stupid people who obsess over it.
also, butterman, i thought that the set of numbers you were referring to was for quake 1

Butterman said:
Hey Laurent, you don't like OC? Enjoy getting ripped off when you buy a new PC!

My last two PCs I made sure were good for overclocking: I did research, asked questions, all that good stuff.
But I didn't overclock right away. I left it as stock in order to conserve energy and extend the CPU life. I knew when I needed the speed boost, when I was getting sick of things going slow, I could always overclock.
I never found the need to overclock either of those. By the time I needed the speed boost, it'd been a few years and newer CPUs were significantly better than anything I could get from overclocking, so I just did a full upgrade.
My most recent purchase, I didn't bother looking into whether it can be overclocked or not because I know I won't need it. Even if it can, I still won't, because I don't need the boost, and higher clock speeds equals higher energy costs. A few years down the road I might find myself needing more speed, but by then it'll be time to upgrade again anyway.
Moral of the story is that just because you can do something doesn't mean that you need to, and that others are fools for not doing so also.
I had a parable about a little old lady with a Ferrari, but the anecdote seemed more suitable. Consider yourself ripped off because I only posted one story? :p

It's looking like the Vsync might be limiting any silly frame rates right now, more investigations to be done.

'icurafu' said:
As you can see with the new Quake1 video. When SGX is updated from 55 to 110 MHZ the effects seem that the fps are linearly increased. Proves that atleast for Quake1, SGX is the bottleneck.
The odd thing is that reducing the resolution, even to 320*240 won't increase the FPS. Solve that one :)

'craigix' said:
'icurafu' said:
As you can see with the new Quake1 video. When SGX is updated from 55 to 110 MHZ the effects seem that the fps are linearly increased. Proves that atleast for Quake1, SGX is the bottleneck.
The odd thing is that reducing the resolution, even to 320*240 won't increase the FPS. Solve that one :)

(sgx<->ram)bus constrained?

'craigix' said:
'icurafu' said:

Sounds just like the PSP version of Quake. Also, vsync turned on also kills the framerate hard IF it goes below 60FPS, it stays on 30FPS. Perhaps its more to do with the way Quake works then the SGX?

haha, I remember when S3 came out with a card soon to be called the 3D decelerator. Because the famerate dropped when you activated 3D.

So if you played GL_Quake, you would get that effect. I wonder if his will do the same.

Anyway, that was the Virge if anyone can remember back that far. (I had one)

'icurafu' said:
Hey now, didn't it have Bilinear filtering, or something like that? Doing everything it did in software rendering would bring a 500mhz CPU to its knees!

This framerate cap interests me. :) I wonder what's causing it?

You could try the builtin timerefresh command. Most Quake (1, I guess 2 too) engines run it without honoring the vsync. Of course it depends what your base was, but if it was a plain old buggy glquake, then this should work that way. The framerates are not quite "serious", but at least you could tell people "hey, I got 300 fps!". ;)

'Spirit' said:
You could try the builtin timerefresh command. Most Quake (1, I guess 2 too) engines run it without honoring the vsync. Of course it depends what your base was, but if it was a plain old buggy glquake, then this should work that way. The framerates are not quite "serious", but at least you could tell people "hey, I got 300 fps!". ;)
Thats right! do the old Sony PR BS trick, get the highest possible framerate you can on the highest settings hardware and lowest settings in game and post a 800x480 picture on the official site, then find the PSP's slowest setting then compare

PSP Quake 2 : 5fps* VS Pandora Quake 2 : 100fps* eat my dust Sony!

* like for like comparison under strict conditions that we wont let you know about.

Aha, interesting figures. It should be possible to push it even higher. How stable is the game? Is it keeping a constant FPS? One thing that would be very interesting would be to overclock the main CPU to 900MHz and keeping the cortex at 110MHz and doing a FPS count. Then we would be able to clearly see if the cortex really is the bottleneck. 900MHz is sill a safe frequency setting, right?

GuSec said:
Aha, interesting figures. It should be possible to push it even higher. How stable is the game? Is it keeping a constant FPS? One thing that would be very interesting would be to overclock the main CPU to 900MHz and keeping the cortex at 110MHz and doing a FPS count. Then we would be able to clearly see if the cortex really is the bottleneck. 900MHz is sill a safe frequency setting, right?
above 600 the frame rate slowly increases, the highest i could go was 750.
I havnt been able to get in game yet, something happens to the SDL controls.

'Pickle' said:
'GuSec' said:
900MHz is sill a safe frequency setting, right?
above 600 the frame rate slowly increases, the highest i could go was 750.

Interesting, and that right there is why I'd like to see numbers "at stock settings" - because the degree to which any individual Pandora component may be overclocked is likely to vary. Just like overclocking GP2X's is cariable, and Wintel PCs too. So "stock" (guaranteed) clock rates to me seems MUCH more reliable to base things on.

Having said that, It's nice to hear peoples experiences of overclocking either the Pandora as a whole or individual components - to me, the very best examples of such would be comparing speed of a program at stock settings and with "clock adjustments" (for anyone unhappy with the term "overclocking"). In the same vein, it'd be interesting to see power drainage info when underclocking using applications that don't need it!

I see with interest that before Pandora even ships there are multiple distros of Linux being considered, and of course it seems quit elikely that different folks will have their own pet "background" utilities. If a Pandora ends up running multiple background utilities AND games, I'm concerned that games which have been developed to run "with adjusted clock speeds" may give, umm, poorer results "in the field".

I would LOVE to know if the money I paid towards the dev fund has actually been paid to any of the devs, and what projects have benefitted (if any) from our contributions. Opensource ports? Emulators? Applications and Utilities?

Ta

'Kramy' said:
'icurafu' said:
Hey now, didn't it have Bilinear filtering, or something like that? Doing everything it did in software rendering would bring a 500mhz CPU to its knees!

This framerate cap interests me. :) I wonder what's causing it?

I think back then, it was point filtering to make the card run ok. Bilinear and trilinear hardware support was there, just not so fast.

Anyway, I never got the GL version of Quake to run on the Virge because it never had OpenGL support. But I used this with a Citrix 686 200, which was at its knees most of the time.

Back