Question Regarding 'cyclone Bugs'

T

TelcoLou

Not sure where to put this query ...

Playing some games in DrMD 2, I noticed a couple of were displaying shadows the wrong color (ex: Puyo 2, Battletech ... the shadows are light-colored instead of black)

I'm not complaining at all; just wondering if these are manifestations of this infamous 'cyclone bug' or just something else.

Perhaps if some guru could explain, in very layman (non-coder) terms, what exactly constitutes a cyclone bug? Are the bugs similar in nature (I.E. do they display the same results in different games?)

Thanks in advance.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 23 2005 at 12:33 AM said:
Not sure where to put this query ...

Playing some games in DrMD 2, I noticed a couple of were displaying shadows the wrong color (ex: Puyo 2, Battletech ... the shadows are light-colored instead of black)

I'm not complaining at all; just wondering if these are manifestations of this infamous 'cyclone bug' or just something else.

Perhaps if some guru could explain, in very layman (non-coder) terms, what exactly constitutes a cyclone bug? Are the bugs similar in nature (I.E. do they display the same results in different games?)

Thanks in advance.

Are you a beta tester? if so use the version with the slow Mushasi core. If it works with that, then it is a cyclone bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm not a beta tester. I was just curious about what is specific about cyclone bugs.

Hell, I'm sure lots of folks like myself aren't even sure what cyclone is ... :blink:

TelcoLou posted on Mar 23 2005 at 01:50 AM said:
No, I'm not a beta tester. I was just curious about what is specific about cyclone bugs.

Hell, I'm sure lots of folks like myself aren't even sure what cyclone is ... :blink:

Cyclone is the program (written in arm9 assembler, Raw computer code) that emulates the main processor (motorola 68000) inside the megadrive and quite a few other machines (Amiga, Atari ST, Early Apple Mac, Arcade machines etc).

Trooper

trooper posted on Mar 22 2005 at 08:40 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 23 2005 at 01:50 AM said:

Hell, I'm sure lots of folks like myself aren't even sure what cyclone is ...  :blink:

Cyclone is the program (written in arm9 assembler, Raw computer code) that emulates the main processor (motorola 68000) inside the megadrive and quite a few other machines (Amiga, Atari ST, Early Apple Mac, Arcade machines etc).

Trooper

Thanks for that info!

/me feels smarter ... ;)

Hm sounds strange, I dont think you can get transparency problems in the Megadrive (if you mean translucency instead of non-drawn sprites). Sounds pretty much like, for example, the drawing priority errors you get in Story of Thor.

If I understood Squidge's post right (in the other thread, and I'm afraid I didn't), Cyclone related bugs are more rare to find, and more.. noticeable: hangs, crashes... Again, sorry if I'm totally wrong.

You can also try testing the game in fGen32, but it uses an older Cyclone version. Anyway I dont think it has improved so much from one version to the other one... But it already is fast and makes a lot of games work. Definitely one of the best things we have for the gp32, I think.

Back