References

humanfactor: apart from all the facts noted above, I've bought hundreds of dollars of gaming gear from craigix over the past 5+ years, some of it preorderded. Always came through with flying colours.

If it was a scam, they would have claimed the Pandora would be out in a week and absconded with the 4000 preorders. Instead, they refunded most of them because the Pandora wouldn't be shipping in time (and the bank wouldn't wait).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about the "is it a scam" thing and my dad has mentioned it to me. Thankfully I'm above the age of "you can't buy this or that" but still respect my father's opinion.

The one thing that convinces me is... Just how huge of a scam this would have to be. Why on earth would they still be draggin on? Don't they have enough money to just dissappear?

No (like mentioned earlier, we know who they are, they even show up at public places of interest!) and two we've seen prototypes (without wires now) These guys are serious.

The only reason that it looks weird is because they've been so "open" about it all. A big company like sony, or nintendo, or microsoft :blink: , keeps this stuff a secret until it's only a couple weeks away (don't quote me on that ;) )

It's just too big to be a scam...

On a serious note - I have been around here for years (just lurking in the early gp32 days) and I have purchased lots from Craig over that time, including 2 GP32's and a GP2X.

I have sent my GP2X to Evil Dragon in Germany for him to perform the wonderful D-Pad mod.

People like Squidge, DJ Willis, Dave C etc.... have also been around here for a long time conducting invaluable work on these consoles for us all to enjoy.

The Pandora was really only a matter of time, right from back then when Gamepark Holdings continually failed to listen to Craig and the community.

Taking on such a task as the Pandora from scratch was inevitably going to be an enormous challenge, time consuming and lengthy process with many unknown variables causing delays.

These delays will only provide us with a quality finished product.

I am a Lawyer, and therefore naturally suspicious of, nearly, everything. However, not so with this project as I feel that I have built up some sort of rapport with the development team over the years as I have never been let down by any of them with my past dealings.

I hope that helps.

:)

Dear Humanfactor's Dad,

I understand your concern. My suggested course of action would be to order one from the first batch and have it sent to me for testing purposes.

At that point, I could get back to you with my findings; just in time for you to order one for your son from the second batch! Win-Win. ;)

Just do what I do: tell him just how much you'll be waving it in his face when it arrives and then laugh at him.

I think you should probably PM ED or craigix and ask if you can have a phone number for your dad to call. If they're experienced businessmen they will want to make your dad a customer :).

If it's a scam, nothing will go wrong on the first batch.

Once the first batch is proven reputable, thousands of people will be pre-ordering for the second. Even then, I doubt they'd take the money and run. After making some profit off the second batch, they can start regular shipments and make more money off that.

Sometimes not doing a scam makes more money than scamming. There's a huge demand for Pandora-like devices. If they could manufacture 100k of them, they'd sell. 200k, they'd sell. Scamming for 1 million USD (split 3 ways) is the dumbest 6-year scam/long-con in the world. It's impossible to make less money than that by not scamming, unless they have no clue how to run a business and sell high demand hotcakes.

this would be the dumbest scam ever. if this was a scam it would be safe to say the 'masterminds' were developmentally impaired

'Kramy' said:
Scamming for 1 million USD (split 3 ways) is the dumbest 6-year scam/long-con in the world.
6 years???

'Exophase' said:
'Kramy' said:
Scamming for 1 million USD (split 3 ways) is the dumbest 6-year scam/long-con in the world.
6 years???

Creating Craigix, Learning German, hiring actors.... Faking Evildragon, Faking Michael etc. etc. wow I wish I was capable of such a massive scam, it would be some serious work and very impressive.

It would probably be a lot easier to do what Gizmondo did and just con a handful of rich investors then roar off in a Ferarri.

Uhm... maybe you could sit down with him in front of your PC, check the videos posted on the blog (http://openpandora.wordpress.com/), check as well the ones on YouTube, you know, inform him honestly what this is about... well, try to make him undestand that this gadget is being made by independent trusted developers, not a big corporation.

Of course, if you depend on him completely, I mean it's not your money that is going to be spent... then... well, you'll just have to accept what he decides to do with his money.

In any case, in the 'worst' case scenario, he ends up saying 'no' now. The Pandora hits the market, maybe someone near you will have one, and then you can request one from him again. Or start saving some money; I think it's worth it.

Good luck.

'Peter R' said:
'craigix' said:
It would probably be a lot easier to do what Gizmondo did and just con a handful of rich investors then roar off in a Ferarri.
Right into a barrier!

That's .. exactly what I was thinking.

3388971142_32aa18eb58.jpg

'PoisonedV' said:
this would be the dumbest scam ever. if this was a scam it would be safe to say the 'masterminds' were developmentally impaired
Another gold quote ;)

'Gruso' said:
:lol: nice subtle addition, lulzfish.
Indeed, copy pasted instantly! :lol:

lulzfish, thats pure genius!

[offtopic] I'm meant to be packing my bags to catch a plane in the morning, for which I have to leave in 4 hours, but this goddamn forum keeps me coming back to the computer! My interest in the pandora clearly isnt waning....[/offtopic]

Back