Reordering Deadline

MDave said:
There is very little reason for them to scam this. Even if they did, they wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of money they would get if this thing was released, selling and selling and selling. Common sense! The potential is far too great to ignore.

You would have to be very paranoid to think this is a scam.
And it's come too far for the company to fold. They are getting the money from pre-orders to fund its manufacturing. Can't be safer then that.
Hmm, I think I'm going to have to disagree, while I'm 100% that this isn't a scam (hell, I've ordered one), the motive for a scam is easily in there, lets say for these first 4000 they're making £25 on each (which is a real exaggeration, they don't seem to be making any money at the moment), they would pull in £100,000 profit. If they took the money and ran they would have £800,000. So, if they kept selling, making £25 profit on each Pandora, they would have to sell 32,000 more Pandoras to make the same money.

(Calculations done on the fact that each Pandora is sold at £200, with £175 manufacturing costs)

There is a level of trust you have to have in them, but considering they've all been reselling open-source handhelds for years now, as well as the fact that their identities are pretty public, I'm 100% certain this is not a scam. If you don't have this trust in them, well, looks like you're not getting your hands on a sexy new Pandora in a few months time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty much a given that the whole Pandora project isn't a scam. It would be inordinately elaborate.

There is still, however, a small chance that it could collapse in on itself.

Butterman said:
MDave said:
There is very little reason for them to scam this. Even if they did, they wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of money they would get if this thing was released, selling and selling and selling. Common sense! The potential is far too great to ignore.

You would have to be very paranoid to think this is a scam.
And it's come too far for the company to fold. They are getting the money from pre-orders to fund its manufacturing. Can't be safer then that.
Hmm, I think I'm going to have to disagree, while I'm 100% that this isn't a scam (hell, I've ordered one), the motive for a scam is easily in there, lets say for these first 4000 they're making £25 on each (which is a real exaggeration, they don't seem to be making any money at the moment), they would pull in £100,000 profit. If they took the money and ran they would have £800,000. So, if they kept selling, making £25 profit on each Pandora, they would have to sell 32,000 more Pandoras to make the same money.

(Calculations done on the fact that each Pandora is sold at £200, with £175 manufacturing costs)

There is a level of trust you have to have in them, but considering they've all been reselling open-source handhelds for years now, as well as the fact that their identities are pretty public, I'm 100% certain this is not a scam. If you don't have this trust in them, well, looks like you're not getting your hands on a sexy new Pandora in a few months time. :D

Well, I mean to say they would make far more money over the long run then if they decided to pull out now just to make a quick (3 years in the making?!) £800,000.

Meh.

Please not yet another scam discussion :rolleyes:
I thought we were done with that...

hi guys I am ordering from the UK, just got an email stating -

"Price to transfer is �273.40 - bank details below. "

Is this £273.40?
is this more than originally stated? Am i paying the same amount as others?

can anybody confirm?

cheers
PZ

Can I just confirm what I believe the first post implies?
Those people who pre-ordered via credit card, and cannot currently re-order because their only form of payment is credit card will have their place in the first batch dropped and given to someone else who is willing to do a bank transfer instead.
Is that right?

yes and no

Yes your place may go in the first batch if you cannot pay by alternative methods as suggested (exlcudes those who paid by AMEX who I think will be handled differently)

No in the sense, when things gets sorted for credit card ordering in the future additional batchs, when you order, you still pay the refunded amount if you decide to wait for credit card processing BUT your order is prioritised/esclated up the queue as you originally ordered as a first batch user

Hope that makes sense

mali said:
Meh.

Please not yet another scam discussion :rolleyes:
I thought we were done with that...
Well, I dunno that we were DONE with it (I've barely seen it mentioned outside of being slammed) but I've been trying to avoid elaborating. I'd prefer not to have to expand on what I've already written which IMHO should be more than enough. Including the fact that OP have my money :D

But how do you address any honest enquiry about the "security of payment options" without addressing the potential risks of those payment systems?

Well, I dunno that we were DONE with it (I've barely seen it mentioned outside of being slammed) but I've been trying to avoid elaborating. I'd prefer not to have to expand on what I've already written which IMHO should be more than enough. Including the fact that OP have my money

But how do you address any honest enquiry about the "security of payment options" without addressing the potential risks of those payment systems?

We have been discussing this after every hickup since the first pre-order started ;) I've transfered my money around the 3rd of October, and was willing to take the risk to not see a product nor my money back. It was in a feeling of supporting those underdogs OpenPandora are and loving the idea of a Community handheld and of course its hardware capabilities. I've had my weak moments and thought about bailing out, but I never thought it was a scam.
Security of payment options outside CC: there is none. Discussion done :)

Guys I am reposting cos i dont know what is going on here and i forgot to mention that i did not order in the first lot as i was away for a while in hospital and I missed the first orders

I am ordering from the UK, just got an email stating -

Is this £273.40?

can anybody confirm?

cheers
PZ

pubzombie said:
Guys I am reposting cos i dont know what is going on here and i forgot to mention that i did not order in the first lot as i was away for a while in hospital and I missed the first orders

Is this £273.40?

can anybody confirm?

cheers
PZ
I don't know the answer, but this might give a hint:
Eolair said:
Kyosys said:
Gut - verstehe ich, aber wenn man bei craig kauft bezahlt man trotzdem nur 330USD, was umgerechnet 250 - 260€ sind
I think if you're in Europe you may have to add UK VAT to the 330USD price tag. So for Europeans it's really 379.5USD ($330+$49.5). Maybe Craigix can confirm that though.

Edit: 081201 UK VAT lowered to 15%

And there is also shipping included, I suppose.

mali said:
We have been discussing this after every hickup since the first pre-order started ;)
I've not seen much in the way of discussion. Dismissal yes, especialy if anyone who looks like a newbie broaches the subject, but no real discussion - and I don't want to proceed along that sentence any further, ideally.

mali said:
Security of payment options outside CC: there is none. Discussion done :)
I am perhaps more verbose than you, a personal failing no doubt. I'm loathe to be quite that abrupt if only because of the people I've seen leap to the defence of other payment types and how secure they feel they are, which can lead to a back-and-forth which can quickly become unseemly. Indeed I DO occasionally feel as if I'm being goaded into playing devil's advocate further than I feel is tasteful (though not in this instance I hasten to add). Devil's advocate? One should remember that I was one of the original pre-orders, and have re-pre-ordered via bank transfer. If I thought it was a scam then I wouldn't have ordered either time - but that doesn't make any of the "proofs" that it's not a scam hold any more water. I beleive they're genuine, and I hope it all goes well - that doesn't PROOVE that they are to anyone else, or that it WILL all go smoothly :(

But we live in hope!

I'm usually fairly up for discussing things at length logiclaly, in a way this topic has not as far as I've seen (it's been brought up repeatedly yes, but not really discussed that I am aware of) but there is a time and a place. I've never felt this is really the place (even if every hiccough along the way makes it seem more like the time!).

Ta.

pubzombie said:

Is this £273.40?

can anybody confirm?

cheers
PZ
There are two major prices - there's the original price that the Pandora went on sale for during a brief pre-order period last year. Despite (or because of) a number of issues along the way, those orderes have had to be refunded and replaced. Although the price of the Pandora has gone up subsequently OpenPandora have honored the pricing that original preorders were set at. However, any NEW orders ought to be at a higher value to match the new retail price. £273.40 could well be correct as a ballpark figure - I'm afraid that, being a preorder customer, I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the new pricing when it was announced, sorry :(

I've just done a quick search and found some quotes of craigx saying the price will now be set at $330 USD and covnerted from that. This is because of the financial ho-ha in recent months and fluctuating exchange rates combined with the fact that OpenPandora are paying for a lot of parts and the manufacturing process in USD - so to hav ethe base price in USD makes more sence.

So you'd need to convert $330 for a new order into UK Pounds - http://www.currencyconverter.uk.com/jump/ggo.html gives me about £230. then add say $7 for carriage to bring it to £237, then 15% VAT gets you £264.26

Of course, any slight variation in the currency conversion (say - if they use an actual banks rate of currency excahnge) would raise that by probably £10-£30 to include the banks "hidden fee".

£273.40 certainly sounds plausible.

pubzombie said:

Is this £273.40?

can anybody confirm?

cheers
PZ
Are you ordering any extras?

I know you said you are ordering from the UK, but are you getting it posted to a UK address?

Is this the figure from OpenPandora? Or maybe is this from your bank with their surcharge on top?

If you answered; "no", "yes", "from OpenPandora" then - this seems a bit much to me

Maybe it's not £s?

@Monk,

ok dude it seems reasonable; i have emailed Jaqi but feel guilty because she is busybusy and working on a saturday evening answering emails from idiots like me

_VWV_ said:
I wrote them an e-mail about that. 207.2 seems too low to me. This must be without the VAT.
Vat would only be about £30, I think its the price for people who have already pre-ordered.

£273 seems a hefty lump of cash
I ordered from openpandora and delivery is to UK. I missed first round of orders . i hope it should be dollars, manopoly money even better

pubzombie said:
£273 seems a hefty lump of cash
I ordered from openpandora and delivery is to UK. I missed first round of orders . i hope it should be dollars, manopoly money even better
Wow something is definitely wrong there mate. Is that just for one Pandora + P&P, nothing else?

1 x Pandora + P&P came to £207.20 for me. Delivered to UK.

Back