Request For Hotfix 6

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
I wasn't sure where the best place to post this would be, so I'm posting it here. Would it please be possible to add an option in the Xfce menu to swap the current assignments of the right nub and the ABXY buttons in Xfce? So that End/Home/PgDown/PgUp are assigned to the right nub, while the left/right mousebuttons are assigned to A/B, double-click to Y, and middle-click to X.

The unreliability of the mousebuttons (currently, it's really easy to accidentally press them twice, and really difficult to "hold" a button when you press it) is one of my major annoyances with the Pandora and makes many of the programs less than usable (Linux MultiMedia Studio is one example). I think that swapping the current assignments would be a simple fix that would make many programs a lot more usable.

Perhaps it could even be possible to add a key combination to swap between one mode and another? Like you can do for taking a screenshot, for example.

The more IDEAL solution would be to allow more comprehensive custom button mapping for each Pandora input key of the type that john4p recently added to UAE4All, but since that seems to be off the table for now, at least this small step would be very much welcomed.

I don't know much about what you have to suggest, Esn, but if we're going to have a thread of requests for HF6, I'd just like to add to the list:

* Please add snd-aloop.ko to the standard list of modules in the Base OS. (This may have to be built 'outside the kernel' using the ALSA standalone sources.) With this module, we can solve many sound problems and deliver truly compatible multi-client audio capabilities.

* Please add the aconnectgui package from OpenEmbedded to the base system OS image. This will help with multi-client MIDI applications and allows the user to properly administer MIDI connection. Without this application, MIDI routing is confusing and prohibitively difficult for the user - with this application onboard, the Pandora instantly becomes a fully capable MIDI router device.

+1 for Esn's suggestion. The right nub as mouse buttons is counter-intuitive especially when you have four nice buttons right next to it. We usually call them mouse 'buttons' for a reason.

I agree with having the ability to switch, but I'd prefer the mouse functions as they are by default (probably because I've gotten used to them)...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
I agree with having the ability to switch, but I'd prefer the mouse functions as they are by default (probably because I've gotten used to them)...
Of course. Changing the defaults would immediately break a lot of Pandora software which assumes that ABXY are Home/End/PgDown/PgUp (for example, Frogatto). I just want the ability to easily switch in order to allow me to use some programs which are currently not very useable because of the finicky mouse-buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no issue with the nub as buttons as CPU says but I do support ESN's idea of a switching option to alter the assignments. I was taken with his prior idea of a full keyboard mapping gui with hotkey changes aswell.

Also I agree with Torpor and I hope the technical side he is mentioning will allow for full Bluetooth support by all media players/games etc, aswell as the multi-client side of things and midi routing.

Bluetooth support could do with being fixed up aswell, as many people cannot get headphones to pair and connect properly, or any audio to play through them. Only Exaile, Panplayer, Mplayer support BT. Mplayer crashes easily with BT, so really just Exaile exists as an audio out option form the myriad music players we have.

I have never been able to figure out how to get exaile to play into my bt headset... have yet to find someone who has accomplished this and written about it. But exaile is also very heavy, so I probably wouldn't bother because I multitask a lot on my unit and prefer as little resources go to music as possible...

I would like wifi ad-hoc connections to be supported so that I can tether my pandora to my phone :D

I really suggest to include the new version of Midori you can find already in the repo/archive. So far the best Browser I've tested onto the Pandora. It's of course ways better than the old built in Midori. :)

Blue Protoman said:
And Lightweight2, that should be in as well.
What does it do better than Midori? Currently, Midori seems to be better than Lightweight. You can't really set a download directory in the Pandora's version Lightweight, for example.

True, but it's good to have options. There's a reason that we already have two browsers in the firmware.

Blue Protoman said:
True, but it's good to have options. There's a reason that we already have two browsers in the firmware.
And I have no idea what that reason is, except that they're both buggy in different ways. But if the new Midori works perfectly, I'd rather the little space that they have is used to add something else. Hypothetically.

Blue Protoman said:
Options are good. But actualy I don't use Aurora. It seems to be only used for displaying the readme files for PNDs, and this is incredibly slow. Can't a faster doc reader do this Job, or maybe linking this function to Midori itself? Only one Brower in the Firmware would save space onto the NAND. Other Browsers still can exist onto the SD cards. :)

Esn said:
Blue Protoman said:
And I have no idea what that reason is, except that they're both buggy in different ways. But if the new Midori works perfectly, I'd rather the little space that they have is used to add something else. Hypothetically.

It is probably going to be included in the Hotfix 6, but only as a natural update of the libs and binaries on the firmware. Notaz was apparently trying to get a new webkit included in the new firmware, so it would make sense to include a new midori as well. The only thing that is included in my midori PND that won't come for free in a lib upgrade is the ~6 SLoC patch I made to make webkit prefer the adobe flash player. But I could probably refine that, so that its quality is high enough to be patched into the webkit upgrade that will be included in a future hotfix.

I like the idea of either mapping buttons/functions or at least an option to swap abxy with right nub.

Better Wifi Drivers.

I never use Midori.

I don't think any browser should be there by default... firmware browsers seem to be difficult to update... and a bad idea to remove...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
I don't think any browser should be there by default... firmware browsers seem to be difficult to update... and a bad idea to remove...

All you need is a script, that wgets the midori package from the repo. Or directly use pndstore.

Back