Request For Hotfix 6

I would request more user-friendlyness. ^^ Could already start that there is a nicer way to read the PND readme stuff. At the Moment it uses Aurora to display it. And loading Aurora takes ages. Wouldn't a simple notepad do tis job much quicker? In Minimenu there also could be a included function for displaying additional infos. Shouldn't be not hard to include a user friendly readme option. Of course this needs readmes in the PND Files. ;) I have way more PNDs than readmes and finding infos about the programms without crawling through the Forums is sometims luck. Not every Program has a thread here, at least the repo has some short Infos that are easy to read.
But thats only one puzzle piece to a more user friendly Pandora, more should follow. ^^

fusion_power said:
I would request more user-friendlyness. ^^ Could already start that there is a nicer way to read the PND readme stuff. At the Moment it uses Aurora to display it. And loading Aurora takes ages. Wouldn't a simple notepad do tis job much quicker? In Minimenu there also could be a included function for displaying additional infos. Shouldn't be not hard to include a user friendly readme option. Of course this needs readmes in the PND Files. ;) I have way more PNDs than readmes and finding infos about the programms without crawling through the Forums is sometims luck. Not every Program has a thread here, at least the repo has some short Infos that are easy to read.
But thats only one puzzle piece to a more user friendly Pandora, more should follow. ^^

What I do is find the program on one of the 3 Pandorawiki software lists (see my signature), and go to the "discussion" link that's listed there.

I do certainly agree that something quicker-loading than Arora should be used to read documentation, and there should be a built-in reader in Minimenu.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing above all else I think that should go into the next hotfix as well as the next OS release...

GRANOLA!!!
http://grano.la/software/about_granola.php
http://grano.la/software/benefits.php

https://download.miserware.com/linux/tar/ (only saw i386 and x86_64 versions, so this may need to be worked on to have ported to ARM, but I bet it would at least double battery life under all conditions...

due to port work needing to be done, this may end up being pushed back to PandoraOS2 (or whatever name it's given) but I wouldn't be a good person to predict such things...

EDIT: just realized, this could also have an interesting impact on over/underclocking and over/undervolting... Looking forward to seeing what kinds of effects it will have!

Hi,

think of me as the most stupid user you can get, I have a few suggestions that would really enhance the overall experience with the Pandora:

• Charge battery w/o turning device on. Quick fix: Add App "Quickly load battery" to minimenu, that disables screen and down clocks CPU.
  • Option for "close lid -> power off" (really important IMO)
  • Option "power off when not in use for XX minutes" as App in Minimenu
  • Minimenu: Option to set cpu freq for each App individually (mplayer@300 MHz, others at 500 e.g.)
  • Add MPlayer-Installer to minimenu, that also loads the codec pack. (and removes the mplayer-installer app)
  • PNDstore needs a search function

And please no rants about "you can work around this by...". These are easy to implement and really vital (not only) for beginners.

KungPhoo said:
Hi,

think of me as the most stupid user you can get, I have a few suggestions that would really enhance the overall experience with the Pandora:

• Charge battery w/o turning device on. Quick fix: Add App "Quickly load battery" to minimenu, that disables screen and down clocks CPU.
  • Option for "close lid -> power off" (really important IMO)
  • Option "power off when not in use for XX minutes" as App in Minimenu
  • Minimenu: Option to set cpu freq for each App individually (mplayer@300 MHz, others at 500 e.g.)
  • Add MPlayer-Installer to minimenu, that also loads the codec pack. (and removes the mplayer-installer app)

And please no rants about "you can work around this by...". These are easy to implement and really vital (not only) for beginners.

1. Already being worked on. And for the "quick fix", simply flick the power switch to the right. Bam, low power mode. Does exactly what you describe it to do.
2. Agreed.
3. Agreed, but why just Minimenu?
4. Minimenu lets you do that, just press Space to do this (among other things). A solution for Xfce is being worked on as well.
5. I don't understand, please elaborate.
6. Agreed, but the site it pulls its listing from (repo.openpandora.org) already has one.

5. Can't do... the codec pack is not license friendly everywhere around the world, so depending on where you live, you may not be allowed, by law, to install the codec pack... you have to agree to the terms of the codec manually to install it, so there may be no quick way to install... they could code the script to open a dialog box that gives you the license info and asks you to click ok if you agree to the terms and are legally able to download/install (the AUR package for Arch Linux that installs Adobe Flash has this kind of function, IIRC).

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
https://download.miserware.com/linux/tar/ (only saw i386 and x86_64 versions, so this may need to be worked on to have ported to ARM, but I bet it would at least double battery life under all conditions...
Not likely. With LCD at max brightness and wifi on, the Pandora still tops out at only 700ma(ish). The CPU, even clocking 100% usage, accounts for less than half of that. Suppose this could cut power usage of the CPU in half, you're looking at a saving of about 170ma. When completely idle, the CPU only uses about 150ma. It might give an extra 5 hours of usage, maybe, which sounds impressive until you consider that it's already a 10 hour battery (12-14 if you turn the LCD down as low as it can go)
It would take about 1400 hours to save even 1kw of energy. That is 1kw approximately every 2 months assuming it is running 100% usage 24/7. If you consider the time when the CPU is idle that time becomes a lot longer.
In stark contrast, replace your 40watt bulb with a 13watt fluorescent, and you are saving a kilowatt every 27 hours, just over a day of constant usage.
Could it save energy? Yes, every little bit is still energy saved. Is it worth it? Probably not. I've probably used more energy responding to this post than granola would have saved in a month. :p
Seriously, this is like trying to move an ocean with a teaspoon.

KungPhoo said:

PNDstore has a search function, just start typing in the main window and it'll automatically search for the given text :)

JFS support would be GREAT! I have taken a liking to JFS and noticed after formatting a few SD cards with this format, they are not recognized by the Pandora (won't automount)... would like to see that change. I believe this is a kernel-level change, so I would expect it would need to come in a new hotfix or OS release... but I could be wrong.

Well, that DEL-Fix has the issue that you can't Shift-Del anymore, right?
Should we sacrifice that?

I would. I'd rather hold Shift and manually pick "delete" than have a labelled key not work (and have setting up controls in Duke Nukem being a bitch).

EvilDragon said:
Well, that DEL-Fix has the issue that you can't Shift-Del anymore, right?
Should we sacrifice that?
To be fair, you can't shift-del right now, either. :p
Unless that was fixed while I wasn't paying attention.

Another very small proposal: Change the login-shell for "root" to "/bin/bash" at the first line of /etc/passwd.

And still you can not clear window-manager-shortkeys (not to be mixed up with keyboard-shortkey-menu) in xfce-settings, which might block or already blocks some shortkeys that other applications try to access.

Just noticed that assigning shortkeys through the keyboard-shortkey-menu (aka "Application Shortcuts") also is still buggy. After trying to add three shortkeys (and modifying them more than once during this process), I was experiencing duplicate entries and was not able to remove them. I reported theses issues months ago, but never heard anyone having problems with this beside me. No idea why. =) Well, i will probably install xbindkeys again to solve this issue.

Toggling fn-key would be nice as well. So far, if you accidentically press it, you have to press some character and delete that again to turn it back off. It would be more comfortable to be able to press it again to turn it off again.

Back