Requesting Info

TheMagnitude

Still Fresh
I have been looking around the forums and on the website but I can't seem to find any information on how the people making the pandora are getting the money to make it? Or if they are a company or what?

Does anyone have any information on Pandora as a business,? Because for all I know this console could be being made in someones garage.

The system looks absolutely great though, but I don't know if I will buy one because I can't be sure the company is of good quality.

TheMagnitude said:
I have been looking around the forums and on the website but I can't seem to find any information on how the people making the pandora are getting the money to make it? Or if they are a company or what?

Does anyone have any information on Pandora as a business,? Because for all I know this console could be being made in someones garage.

The system looks absolutely great though, but I don't know if I will buy one because I can't be sure the company is of good quality.
I don't think Craig, Evil Dragon,and Mweaston(sp?) would blow their reputations to make a quick buck.

Also who says garage assembled computers are bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be quite honest, I'm buying this device mainly because there's no 'company' involved. It's just a couple of people from these forums putting it together.

The way they have it set up is probably the best way to give the users a say in what happens, this is a truly Open community device from start to finish.

They've said time and time again that they'll take care of us as consumers, and I believe them. Or at least I believe them more than I'd believe a similar statement from a company like Atari, Nintendo, Microsoft, and of course, Sony.

TheMagnitude said:
Garage? Garage?!

Ha!

FYI it's a basement. A nice finished basement with a TV and a beer cooler.

But seriously, I don't know enough to give you real details, but it's mainly funded by Craigix who owns GBAX (a very well-known online shop based in Britain). Pandora is based on Texas Instruments hardware (in fact Pandora has been referred to as a TI "pet project"), and the developers (i.e. MWeston, Squidge etc.) are longtime hobbyists and also have professional backgrounds in hardware and/or software development.

So Pandora is something altogether different. There is no famous company name to slap on it (altho TI is is slapped on the insides for sure), but as a community most people here trust the Pandora team simply because we know them for a long time.

Think of it as a new company in its infancy.

Fishbong said:
The money is coming from craigix of gbax.co.uk.

If your device is faulty you´ll just send it back to your supplier.
Thats good to know :)

Prophet said:
TheMagnitude said:
Garage? Garage?!

Ha!

But seriously, I don't know enough to give you real details, but it's mainly funded by Craigix who owns GBAX (a very well-known online shop based in Britain). Pandora is based on Texas Instruments hardware (in fact Pandora has been referred to as a TI "pet project"), and the developers (i.e. MWeston, Squidge etc.) are longtime hobbyists and also have professional backgrounds in hardware and/or software development.

So Pandora is something altogether different. There is no famous company name to slap on it (altho TI is is slapped on the insides for sure), but as a community most people here trust the Pandora team simply because we know them for a long time.

Thanks for the info, I am now more reassured about the console, and am waiting eagerly to get it and develop for it, and also play ps1 games on it, since i absolutely love that console :)

One more question: What does MK0 mean? is it the version of the pandora motherboard, and if so, if they upgrade do i have to buy a whole new pandora console or can i exchange my MK0 board for a MK1 board for a smaller fee?

TheMagnitude said:
Fishbong said:
The money is coming from craigix of gbax.co.uk.

If your device is faulty you´ll just send it back to your supplier.
Thats good to know :)

Prophet said:
TheMagnitude said:
Garage? Garage?!

Ha!

Thanks for the info, I am now more reassured about the console, and am waiting eagerly to get it and develop for it, and also play ps1 games on it, since i absolutely love that console :)

One more question: What does MK0 mean? is it the version of the pandora motherboard, and if so, if they upgrade do i have to buy a whole new pandora console or can i exchange my MK0 board for a MK1 board for a smaller fee?

The MK0 boards aren't for the public, they're for the developers who are working on things before release :)
You'll be shipped a MK1 when (if?) you buy one.

What? It's being made in a basement?!? Ok, thats it. Final straw. I cant buy this. No way. Forget it. Last straw broke the camels back.

Actually, didn't CraigX or MWeston say it was being assembled by a large electronics factory in China? Hence the reason for buying bulk orders, 3K units for a run? Oh, I'm betting so confused.
Actually, i ain't getting this but it may still be a good product. Just not targeted at me. I hear the second/third generation (5'th remake) is targeted at me. So I'll hang around. But if they lied, and actually are assembling them in there basement... I dunno. MWeston seams to do the prototype building, but i don't think he is good enough to build thousands fast enough and still keep quality good enough. Sorry MWeston, no offense meant.

B!

TheMagnitude said:
KRH said:
Also who says garage assembled computers are bad?
HP started out making printers in a garage and look at them now ;)

Mr B said:
What? It's being made in a basement?!? Ok, thats it. Final straw. I cant buy this. No way. Forget it. Last straw broke the camels back.

Actually, didn't CraigX or MWeston say it was being assembled by a large electronics factory in China? Hence the reason for buying bulk orders, 3K units for a run? Oh, I'm betting so confused.
Actually, i ain't getting this but it may still be a good product. Just not targeted at me. I hear the second/third generation (5'th remake) is targeted at me. So I'll hang around. But if they lied, and actually are assembling them in there basement... I dunno. MWeston seams to do the prototype building, but i don't think he is good enough to build thousands fast enough and still keep quality good enough. Sorry MWeston, no offense meant.

B!
I think prohet was joking there about the basement :D

Unless MWeston has jonhy 5 with him :lol:

Tripmonkey_uk said:
HP started out making printers in a garage and look at them now ;)
Still can't make a PSC that lasts more than 2 years. ;P

-God Ginrai

You have got to be kidding me. How can you ACTUALLY believe that these 3k units are all being made in a basement? They are being made in factories, of course it was a joke! As a matter of fact, 50 prototypes were ordered from the five companies that can "handle" the omap, they will compare the quality and pick the best one, if they haven't already (which I think they have)

*sigh*

Here, just so nobody else gets confused...

Garage? Garage?! :p :p :p

Ha! :p :p :p

FYI it's a basement. A nice finished basement with a TV and a beer cooler. :lol: :lol: :lol:

/JOKE

Unless MWeston has jonhy 5 with him laugh.gif

hey!! i love that movie it shows the good side of all those "joe from india jokes!!"
lol, sorry, i just thought it was a very geeky movie... AND I LIKED IT :)

Mr B said:

B!
go away

Kyosys said:
this thread should get LOL'd
I'm LOLing quite hard, especially at Exophase's blunt response.

schnitzelboy said:
Unless MWeston has jonhy 5 with him laugh.gif
hey!! i love that movie it shows the good side of all those "joe from india jokes!!"
lol, sorry, i just thought it was a very geeky movie... AND I LIKED IT :)

It was a very good movie.

-God Ginrai

I can guarantee you one thing - there are no guarantees in life.

I had a Nintendo®©™ DS®©™ Lite®©™ - and the hinge just snapped while it was sitting, undisturbed on my desk overnight.

I had an Apple®©™ MacBook®©™ that had to be sent in for repairs 3 times within less than 4 months of being bought new.

I'm not sure if you've heard but Sony®©™ and Microsoft®©™ have both had a few problems with a number of their consoles as well.

Just because something is made by a huge megacorp doesn't mean it won't break or have design flaws.

Just because something is made in someone's garage doesn't mean its crap. The first Apples were made in somebody's house (and displayed to potential clients in someone's garage).

The opposite is just as bad an assumption (garage = excellent quality, megacorp = crap).

There's always a chance that any consumer product will have problems - this is especially true in complex electronics - and even more so in first generation electronics - and *even more* so in 1st gen electronics from a 1st time company.

That all being said - as has been addressed in this thread - Craig, the Grand Puma of the Lodge - has promised that any problems will be fixed free-of-charge. That's as good of a guarantee that you're going to get, from a MegaCorp®©™ or a garage band.

Craigs online shop has been going for about 5+ years now, its hardly new... sure its the first time they've developed and produced a console themselves... but Craig has sold the GP32 and GP2X from his store and been extremely good with any faults in the past with those consoles.

This isn't a bunch of random guys making a console with no experience, all these people have many years experience in this area! I certainly have no problems with handing over my hard earned cash to Craig and Co as I've never had any problems with him in the past.

Back